BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first summer with my 2000 LT. I was riding the other day in 90-95 F heat. The engine temp was normal at highway speeds but got pretty hot in town stop and go. What is your experience in the hotter weather. It is 105 here in Central CA today. What can I expect riding in this heat besides sweating? :eek: I haven't hit the red on the temp gauge yet but pretty close.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yup - it will get pretty close when sitting, slow riding or high rev'n in hot weather. Just normal - you should feel the hot air blowing out the side vents when the fan kicks on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Quick response. Thanks. I did notice the hot air coming out of the vents so that is good to know. I was wondering how to tell if the fan was working as I can't hear it or feel it when riding. You really can tell how much wind protection you have on the LT when it is hot. No wonder it is so warm in the winter. :D It's gonna be a long hot summer.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Sean:

Welcome to the forum.

Yes they do get hot in the summer.

You can adjust the winglets onthe sides, under the windshield to blow air on you when in motion. When youre stopped, youre gonna get hot.

Fans should kick in just before the temperature hand gets to the red zone. You'll know it when they come on, you'll hear and feel them. They shouldn't come on while running down the road.

Hope you enjoy it, wonderful ride.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too was a little concerned but have found it to be the nature of the beast. I have yet to see a day when it was too hot.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If you're in stop and go traffic, It'll heat up and then the fans will come on. It'll cool down to the normal point and the fans will go off. Then it will heat up again and the whole cycle just repeats itself. It's a little unnerving if you're stuck in traffic for any length of time. But that's how it's supposed to work.

Worry not grasshopper.

John

·
Registered
256 Posts
ipokebadgers said:
I was wondering how to tell if the fan was working as I can't hear it or feel it when riding.
You might be able to hear it if you listen closely. Let it sit and idle on the center stand, and listen for the sound of the fan. You will feel air coming out of the vents when the fan runs. Once you know what to listen for you may notice it more often.

As long as the temperature needle does no stay in the red, you are good to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can hear my fans come on when riding in stop/go traffic. they (fans) do the job. They kick in about 3/4 scale and bring it down around 1/2.

this bike, in my experience so far, is not a city bike.. she likes the open road. I try and accommodate her the best I can ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here in west central Florida, it gets pretty warm.

For yourself, drink fluids...find the gear that breathes.

I have an RT and an LT. Both have fans that are just audible when they kick on. The BMW's channel the heat away better than a number of other bikes and for that I am grateful.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You'll learn to keep yours legs in tight when its hot as then most of that hot air goes past
them. The 1st day I rode mine home it was very hot and I figured if my legs were out more I would be cooler, buts thats where the heat is.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
We've ridden across Deep West Texas in the summer when the temperatures got up to 105. Nice thing about the LT is the fairing to keep the wind off of you. Bad thing about the LT is the fairing to keep the wind off of you. Camel Backs are a must when riding long distances in the heat. That plus lots of breaks to get into some shade will get you through the day. I wish that motels had day sleeper accommodations so that you could ride in the cool all night long.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The temp guage gets pretty active in stop and go. The fan is definately noticable when it comes on.
The LT is the COOLEST bike I've EVER had. Just try an FJR or Triumph Rocket or Boss Hoss. You'll think the LT has air conditioning!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just went for a ride up to Snowbird-94 degrees in the valley, 4 ft snow on the slopes.
I also noticed the temp gauge rise in traffic, but cooled off as you can see.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Guys and i can say that you have nothing to worry about

Here in Thailand our normal temperature is around 100-110 in colder seasson and 130+++ in hot seasson and have no problem what so ever in my LT, only thing is that here temp rising in traffic way way faster but fans keep t cool, only thing here is monitor that there is enough coolant all times.

and keep one's self hydrated at all times :toast:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
Just for grins here are the numbers from the "BooK":

Thermostat opening Temp 185 F
Fan cut-in Temp 221 F
Warning light cut-in Temp 239 F
From the BMW Manual

1 - 16 of 16 Posts