BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I take a ride and have the need to put her on the side stand, I feel like I really need to pay close attention to the angle of the ground. I usually find myself looking for a place that has if not a flat surface a slight angle up on the stand side. She seems to lean over a little too much for my comfort if the grade is slightly down on left.

Anyone have an oppinion on the side stand lean of these beauties? I have a friend that has an 05 and he is saying that they can lean pretty far on the side stand without tipping over.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have never had a problem with the bike leaning too far over on the side stand. But like you, I always search for a flat of slight "up" angle.

As long as she will not roll forward (i.e. downhill) while on the side stand, you should have no problem.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
There is a little bit of angle you can put on them but be very prudent about having it in gear............if it does go over it'll be if your on the side stand monkieing around in the off side luggage. Been there and done that.......nice thing about getting into the habit of leaving it in gear is that as soon as you push the side stand down, it will automatically kill the engine. (Don't forget to kill the switch. B-Safe :

·
Registered
786 Posts
I took for granted how much better than the RT, the LT side stand was when we got the bike. I usually had my pillion mount first, then myself. Had no problems doing that on the HD.

I got into trouble one day on a slight incline at the house, which I was barely able to right the bike after she got on. My, that was painful....

Had one other trip where four of us stopped to eat. The parking area was stoned and on a steep incline. All the bikes looked fine on the side stands, except the LT. They all got back on without any issue, except me. One was a Road King, one GW and another smaller Honda.

That was the second worst experience I have had trying to get the bike back up, just behind dropping the RT in the dealers lot when we bought it.

Since then, I carry three thicknesses of spacers when I park on any incline, grass or hot macadam. The largest is a 2"x4" piece of wood. Any worse than that, I need to go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I had an issue once with using the side stand. The bike leaned way to the left side as the roadside was leaning that way. I had the hardest time picking the bike up from its position as the COG was way to the left. I had to lift the bike upright while standing next to it and had Kathy "spot" me (keep the bike upright) while I got on. Once both feet were on the ground I was fine and moved the bike to a flatter area before allowing my pillion to get on.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
While you cannot keep her upright if she starts to fall over, you can keep her from falling over while you slowly learn her onto the side stand.

So far my most sever problem putting her onto the side stand was parking on a slight uphill slope while in a shadow. The shadow obscured an additional slope down from the kick stand.

Bob 0h 0h LT

·
Registered
418 Posts
Having learned the hard way,
leave the bike in first gear,
roll forward to a stop,
then put the side stand down.
Even on a slight downslope, the bike can/will roll forward off the side stand.

Another thing to consider:
Even if the bike doesn't fall over with the sidestand down,
you may not be able to get it back upright (without some assistance)
when it's time to leave.

The lean became even more pronounced
when I replaced the stock shock with Ohlins.
The bike was higher and the reach for the ground was longer.
Had to be very selective on where I parked.
Fixed that by making a 1" thick wooden puck with recovery line to place under the side stand.
In retrospect, should have gone up to 1-1/2" thick.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The LT seems to lean farther over than the other bikes I've ridden. It seems rather extreme. My wife always leans over to the right when I put it on the side stand. She thinks it will fall over. I'm sure it wouldn't but it just appears to be leaning too far........... :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
I make my wife get off before I park. She is only 110 pounds.

I have seen some of your wifes while you are vacationing here.
You should not be putting all that extra stress on the side stand.

:wave :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I recently put a side stand foot plate on my RT, it added about a 1/4 inch of hieght to the kick stand, very noticable. May do the same for the LT.

Michael

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Vffr1 said:
I recently put a side stand foot plate on my RT, it added about a 1/4 inch of hieght to the kick stand, very noticable. May do the same for the LT.

Michael
You wouldn't have a picture of that to post would you? I always carry a piece of plywood to put under in bad areas, but find it a bit awkward to get it out and under the bike, then to pick it up again. Sometimes have to get someone to do the work, but not good if alone or even if wife is on, sometimes she can't get off to do the wood bit. A modification to the stand is a good idea.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is a photo of the RT part, not sure if they make one for the LT, try calling A&S BMW, hopefullly they confirm if that part is avaiable.

Side Stand Photo on page 2 (seems the link won't let you access page 2, try going to the main site, select R1200RT and then go to page 2).

Hope this helps,

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I always put a Dixie Chicks CD under my sidestand............... :wave

·
Registered
475 Posts
I never had a problem w the side stand, even if I was parking it on an incline and it leaned a lot to the left. It can easily handle the weight of the bike plus much more. Me and my wife can sit on the bike with the side stand w no problem, just be sure to leave it in gear!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
captaine said:
Every time I take a ride and have the need to put her on the side stand, I feel like I really need to pay close attention to the angle of the ground. I usually find myself looking for a place that has if not a flat surface a slight angle up on the stand side. She seems to lean over a little too much for my comfort if the grade is slightly down on left.

Anyone have an oppinion on the side stand lean of these beauties? I have a friend that has an 05 and he is saying that they can lean pretty far on the side stand without tipping over.
the big question for me is how hard will it be getting upright again when it's leaning too far over on the side stand...and what the surface underneath is like.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
skydiver said:
You wouldn't have a picture of that to post would you? I always carry a piece of plywood to put under in bad areas, but find it a bit awkward to get it out and under the bike, then to pick it up again. Sometimes have to get someone to do the work, but not good if alone or even if wife is on, sometimes she can't get off to do the wood bit. A modification to the stand is a good idea.
I've got a little plate that I use with about 6 feet of string attached. Keeps me from forgetting it and makes it easy to retrieve..... Simply tie it to the handle bar after parking...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I carry a small chunk of a 2x4 board with me to put under the side stand in gravel, etc. I drilled a hole in the board and tied some string through it for ease in retrieving it. When parking, I tie the other end of the string to the left handlebar and position the board with my foot before resting the side stand on it.

When I get back on the bike and take it off the stand, I just reel in the board and keep it in the tank bag. It's not very pretty but it works. :)

Toodles,
~Steph
'03 LTE Anthracite "Zelda"
'97 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 "Big Red" (sold)

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can lean it over pretty far, but you might have trouble getting it back up if it is too far. Since I put new Ohlins on the bike and it sits higher, it has more of a tendency to do this, so I look for spots that are fairly level. Also remember to put the bike in gear and they roll forward to take out the slack before putting it on the side stand.

·
Registered
607 Posts
gpolakow said:
the big question for me is how hard will it be getting upright again when it's leaning too far over on the side stand...and what the surface underneath is like.

This is a trick that a Harley Dealer taught my wife when we were shopping last week for a bar hopper.

Before trying to right your LT, straddle it while it is leaning on its sidestand. Then turn your handlebars all the way to the right. The bike will nearly right itself.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
GlennM86 said:
This is a trick that a Harley Dealer taught my wife when we were shopping last week for a bar hopper.

Before trying to right your LT, straddle it while it is leaning on its sidestand. Then turn your handlebars all the way to the right. The bike will nearly right itself.

Glenn
Counter intuitive, but worth a try.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts