BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Northern Michigan and am thinking of hauling my bike south for some riding in January. Generally how far south will I have to go to be sure of dry roads? I will have a week off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hit the Indiana state line and most days you'll find dry pavement but it might be fairly cold.
By the time you hit Kentucky you'll have daytime temperatures in the upper 50's or higher most days, many at or close to 70.
I did buy a bike in Huntsville Alabama in February 2002 though and my test ride was in the 20's (but dry).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
dthogey said:
I live in Northern Michigan and am thinking of hauling my bike south for some riding in January. Generally how far south will I have to go to be sure of dry roads? I will have a week off.
I've ridden out of south east Michigan (St Clair Shores) to the south in January on several occasions during the 1990's. Just watch the weather channel and go when the conditions are prime. Hauling it to a point only complicates things. However, only having a one week window restricts the options.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trouble is my week off of work is already scheduled. I just figured I would haul the bike to wherever the roads are clear and dry, leave my truck and trailer at a motel, then ride down to my mom's in Florida.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
That is something you probably will have to decide a couple of days before you leave. Riding back to where you left your trailer will be harder to figure out due to the fact that it will be almost a week later. I would go all the way to Florida before riding. From the Traverse City area to north Florida is about a 20 hr drive. There might be some members here that you could leave your rig at. I'm at least 6hrs north of Florida & I have rode in cold & wet weather all the way to south of Jacksonville in January before.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I hear Costa Rica is nice this time of year, or any other for that matter. :rotf:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I'd say Atlanta to be on the safe side,
by then you're past all of the "elevation"
which is a major "factor" to consider in the winter.

If you're down here around January 8th
come and have lunch with us here.

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I'd say Atlanta to be on the safe side
Umm, I'm sitting in Atlanta at the moment, watching the snow gently waft down . . .

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this info gives me a general idea. I know I will have to watch the weather and make the decision before I leave. It would be a good idea to maybe leave my truck and trailer at a safe place if possible. I'll do some more inquiring when the time gets closer. Now I need to get serious about buying a trailer!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
dsauer608 said:
Come to Denver, we haven't had any snow yet, and we need the moisture!
Howdy, Deb. Ha! Up here in NORTHERN Colorado, we've had 3 inches already. Maybe if you folks down there in The Great Heat Sink got rid of some of that hot air up there on Capitol Hill, you'd help the Front Range global warming and maybe get that White Christmas. Nana nana naner. :wave

Cool Karl

·
Registered
845 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
Howdy, Deb. Ha! Up here in NORTHERN Colorado, we've had 3 inches already. Maybe if you folks down there in The Great Heat Sink got rid of some of that hot air up there on Capitol Hill, you'd help the Front Range global warming and maybe get that White Christmas. Nana nana naner. :wave

Cool Karl
Well, we all tried in November to clear out the problem, but alas, the hot air remains. ;)

I fear we're headed for one of those 5' snows; it's been too dry for too long. Riding's been great though! We've had what, 12 bonus weeks of fair riding weather? Do I hear an AMEN???

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I'd say Atlanta to be on the safe side,
by then you're past all of the "elevation"
which is a major "factor" to consider in the winter.
My thoughts exactly. While Ken may be seeing snow right now ... that's only due to this odd Alberta Clipper that's blowing through right now. Once this passing, just south of Atlanta is a pretty sure bet.

Umm ... hopefully... :eek: ;)

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fly to Las Vegas and rent a bike.

Chuck

That is an awesome idea!!!!

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
dshealey said:
I hear Costa Rica is nice this time of year, or any other for that matter. :rotf:
+1! :)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You would have to go a lot further south than Knoxville right now! Low teens, and the roads were really tricky this morning.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
dshealey said:
You would have to go a lot further south than Knoxville right now! Low teens, and the roads were really tricky this morning.

Dang, I guess I am lucky. We get a bit of rain up here in the winter, but it is almost always rideable. I've been out here 11 years and there has only been a 6, or 7 days during that time that that I could not ride. Cannot imagine dealing ice and snow anymore.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts