BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

Just wondering how easy is it to do the QD's on the fuel line for the LT (2005)?

I just ordered a set from BB and would most likely do them in two weeks.

Regards,
Bowdon

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It's pretty simple. The hardest part is taking off the right side plastic, knowing where all the screws are located. Other than that it's simply taking off the clamps to install the QDs and replacing or reusing the O.E. clamps. Make sure you get clamps designed for fuel injection systems as they are designed a little different and as such are less likely to leak. Also consider installing the two male ends in separate directions to prevent improper connection in the future.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I found that getting the old QD's out of the hose a tad difficult. On mine the clamp must have been for looks only :). Once out, everything else was easy.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Daveh said:
I found that getting the old QD's out of the hose a tad difficult. On mine the clamp must have been for looks only :). Once out, everything else was easy.
If the OEMs have been in place for a long time, they do have a tendency to marry the walls of the fuel lines and are difficult to remove in total. On ole Toad's change out, we had to crush the OEMs with some leverage from a pair of channel locks, and then dig out the pieces with a dentist's hook. Guess we got 'em all, cuz no problem installing the metal replacements and everythang works goot!!

There are hose clamps that are made for installing on high pressure fuel delivery lines - sumpthin' like used in diesel engine applications. And, instead of using the radiator hose clamp types, they would be recommended. I've heard/read of the radiator clamp types actually cutting into the tubing. HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
The hose clamps needed have a rounded lip so as not to cut into the hose.
Make sure you clamp off the fuel lines for obvious reasons.

Pretty easy, but you'll be working in close quarters.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
To stop the flow of fuel while taking off the QDs I used a pair of vise-grip pliers and taped up the gripping part to make them softer as to not damage the hose.

Working in these tight quarters is really the hard part, and you knuckles may agree with me!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's a quick job unless you do like I did.
I punctured the hose removing the old QD.
They're tough to get out so be careful.

·
Registered
509 Posts
As someone else stated earlier in this thread, I too had a lot of difficulty getting the old QD's off the hoses. Those barbed ends seem to grip really well. And I did mine with the tank off...so had plenty of room to work. I can't imagine trying to do that with the tank still on. Best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts