BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched in vain for instructions on the forum. Can't see a way to detach the airbox from the tops of the throttle bodies as I go in to replace the crankcase breather, TB connector rubbers and fuel injector o-rings.
Thanks,
Nick

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,551 Posts
Much easier to just undo the bottom TB screw clamps and remove it all as an assembly. Just don't forget to loosen the clamp on the breather and pull it off the nipple first.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You have to release the bottom clamps on the rubber connectors. The non-screw ones can be released by pushing the ends apart sideways, one one way, the other opposite. These CAN be re-used, but can be difficult without the tools. Most replace them with screw type.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! Just saw that. Screws a bit difficult to get to, but accessible. Not sure about location of the breather clamp, but will search. Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,551 Posts
Look on the other side of the engine where the fuel lines go. You will find it there.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Be very careful when reinstalling the clamps, as they can interferre with the throttle linkage. If you get the clamps on in the wrong position, you will limit the throttle opening.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arggh. It appears that there are at least a few more attachment points than the lower screw clamps and breather hos (have all loose now). I hesitate to pull up to hard on the assembly. I've loosened all four clamps to max and still can't get it to release. (2004 model with about 31k). Any further suggestions? Thanks again
Nick

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If memory serves, and it rarely does, there is one screw holding the intake tube (right side of the bike), and one more near the top? Other than that, it can be stuborn. Mine was "stuck" tight enough to hold the engine up when releasing the jack under it. I just massaged each tube and it popped right off.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Interesting picture John. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it off, with a little muscle. Thanks. Here are a few pictures of what I found. The #2 and #3 ports are wet with (?) oil. It appears to be coming from the breather tube, which I have ordered, along with the TB rubbers.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts