BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the tank bags I've been looking at use a 3 point hook up. The front two loop around the handle bar column and the rear attaches under the seat. I've figured out the seat attachment. But because the EWS switch rotates around the column, there is not room for a strap to go around and under the steering column. So, how does one attach it? There are two small connecting rods on either side of the column but that would require two separate and independent straps up front. Since my GPS and XM antenna are sitting between the bars, I can't use a flip up bank like the Big Mak. I've talked to Linda T.(Custom TankBags) a couple of times but her bags use the front loop system, she is supposed to go look at a GT and see what she can do (like make a custom bra). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Dick,

Check out the tank bags at:

www.twistedthrottle.com.

Their collection of Bags-Connection tank bags use SW-Motech's innovative Quick-Lock gascap tankring system.

I have the Daypack tankbag on my GT and the size works very well for me. And gas fill-ups are a breeze since you only have to pull on the release and the tankbag is out of the way.

Bruce Hodges

PS. Aren't you the guy that had that cool Miata?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bruce2000ltc said:
Hi Dick,

Check out the tank bags at:

www.twistedthrottle.com.

Their collection of Bags-Connection tank bags use SW-Motech's innovative Quick-Lock gascap tankring system.

I have the Daypack tankbag on my GT and the size works very well for me. And gas fill-ups are a breeze since you only have to pull on the release and the tankbag is out of the way.

Bruce Hodges

PS. Aren't you the guy that had that cool Miata?
Thanks,
That looks promising. Does the bag vibrate? I have setbacks and I wonder if there is enough room to use the DayBag without hitting the GPS.

Yes, I've had 2 Miatas. A 1990 which I supercharged and installed racing headers, exhaust and suspension. Also, a MazdaSpeed factory tubocharged 2004. Unfortunately, I know longer have them due to my daughters 4 years at Wake Forest. :( But, she received one hell of a education. :D

I do, however, still have my graduation present from High School. See pic below. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
The bag referenced above does not vibrate as installed on my GT. Not sure if it will block your GPS as mounted. I have my Zumo mounted on a Techmount at the center of the bars and it elevates the GPS for better viewing and clears the top of even the taller Bags Connection bags.

·
Registered
351 Posts
REWDOC said:
Thanks,
That looks promising. Does the bag vibrate? I have setbacks and I wonder if there is enough room to use the DayBag without hitting the GPS.

Yes, I've had 2 Miatas. A 1990 which I supercharged and installed racing headers, exhaust and suspension. Also, a MazdaSpeed factory tubocharged 2004. Unfortunately, I know longer have them due to my daughters 4 years at Wake Forest. :( But, she received one hell of a education. :D

I do, however, still have my graduation present from High School. See pic below. :thumb:
You attach the bag ring to the bottom of the tankbag, so you have some adjustment. I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 mounted in the same place the Zumo mounts - in the center of the handlebars - and it doesn't come close to touching it. And the tankbag doesn't block my view of the GPS.

I hear you about the college costs, I made it through that but I had to sell one of my motorcycles and a car to help pay for one of the weddings. (I have 3 grown daughters, all married w/children)

Beautiful cars, especially your '64. My first car was a '61 chevy convertible about the same color as your '64.

Bruce Hodges

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bruce2000ltc said:
You attach the bag ring to the bottom of the tankbag, so you have some adjustment. I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 mounted in the same place the Zumo mounts - in the center of the handlebars - and it doesn't come close to touching it. And the tankbag doesn't block my view of the GPS.

I hear you about the college costs, I made it through that but I had to sell one of my motorcycles and a car to help pay for one of the weddings. (I have 3 grown daughters, all married w/children)

Beautiful cars, especially your '64. My first car was a '61 chevy convertible about the same color as your '64.

Bruce Hodges
Wedding, what wedding? Oh no, there goes the GT and the retirement funds (what's left of them anyway)! Maybe she'll elope, if I can bride her! :D

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
REWDOC said:
Thanks,

Now Doc...what are you doing looking for a tank bag that VIBRATES???

:histerica

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cccpastorjack said:
Now Doc...what are you doing looking for a tank bag that VIBRATES???

:histerica
At my age, I'll take all the excitement I can find! :D ;) :dance:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts