BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have a '99 LT, and want to add a luggage rack. The top case is not pre-wired for the stop light, and I have not figured out how to remove the liner. I have removed all the screws, with no luck. Do I have to drill out the rivits holding the lid latches?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
GWBMW said:
:confused: I have a '99 LT, and want to add a luggage rack. The top case is not pre-wired for the stop light, and I have not figured out how to remove the liner. I have removed all the screws, with no luck. Do I have to drill out the rivits holding the lid latches?
I'm not sure what you're asking, what's generally referred to as the "liner" sits only in the lower half of the topcase and is quite easily removed, take out the thumbscrew that holds the strap, stick a small screwdriver straight down by the latches and pull up, there's velcro toward the front.
on the 02 and 05 LT's there's a passage way (tube) from inside the mirror cavity to the underside of the left speaker, this is where the third brake light wires are run, you should be able to "fish" the wires through there, the only drilling required may be for the luggage rack mounting bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The '99 LT does not have the wire showing behind the mirror, and the 'tunnel' is not open. I think I have to pull the black interior of the top case lid in order to get to the wires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, but I am working on the lid of the top case.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
GWBMW said:
Pretty sure you're talking about the trunk LID liner, are you not? There have been some discussions on how much of it needs removed for installation of the top trunk rack. I'll do a leetle search thangie and see if I can come up with the procedure - as I recall, it's mainly the section behind the vanity mirror door. My '99 had the wiring stub just behind the left speaker assembly. Stay tuned - somebody around here has installed a top rack and should be in the thread soon.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
GWBMW said:
Thanks for the reply, but I am working on the lid of the top case.
Well, all I could find wuz Paul Sayegh's site showing the installation of the H-D trunk rack that he offers. I imagine the installation procedure is close, other than the placement of the mounting legs, etc. I don't see where he has removed any of the lid liner, so apparently that either isn't necessary, or is a PITA to do, so folks don't do it. Hope this helps a leetle.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
There was no liner when I installed the Harley rack just line it up and drill, carefully!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Wire location

The Brake light wire is tied down to the harness inside the top case courtesy lamp assembly...

Here's a pic of How I ran the wire.. Pretty simple till you get to the fishing the wire out..

It's it beotch to get exposed as it is folded back and taped down inside the lamp assembly with some fabric tape...it'll take a little fishing and cussing to get to it.

Pull the light and you'll find it..

OH yeah, the top liner is glued in place and can't be removed without some major sawing around the glued edge... not worth trying it...

Good Luck

JOhn

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:bmw: Thank you, John. Found everything just as you said. And thanks for the info on the liner being glued in....that would really be a project to get out!!

Thank you all for your input. I may be back when I get to installing the luggage rack!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
GWBMW said:
The '99 LT does not have the wire showing behind the mirror, and the 'tunnel' is not open. I think I have to pull the black interior of the top case lid in order to get to the wires.
Nobody said there would be wires "showing" behind the mirror,
you can see them behind the left speaker, that's where they go into the "tunnel"
which is probably not blocked, it's curved
(how do you think those wires get to the trunk light)
If you really want to pull the interior of the top lid
after you've been told it's not necessary
then go ahead BMW gets over $800 for a new one,
and they need the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts