BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Chicane tank bag for the K1200LT. The front of the bag has two velco tabs for mounting. The rear of the bag also has a velco tab that appears it could be used for mounting or either securing the strap holder compartment. As there are no mounting directions with the bag could someone explain exactly where to place the long piece of velco the comes inside the bag and explain if the back tab, which is a long piece of velco, is used only to secure the strap holder compartment or is it used in some way to mount the bag?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you have the LT specific Chicane bag there should be a loop in the posterior part(under the handle) of the bag near the bottom and two velcro tabs on the sides near the front. Now open the oddments box. On the lid there is a tab with a pin that inserts into the lock. Turn the tank bag upsidedown with the loop toward the front of the bike. Put the loop around the tab and push it tight up against the lid. Now fold the tank bag over the oddment box lid so that it is upright using the loop/tab as the pivot point. The two velcro tabs should now be able to wrap under the oddments box lid toward where the hinge is. The opposing velcro strip should be applied to the inside of the oddment box lid so that these two tabs can attached to it. If your loop is properly placed and the velcro is attached you should be able to close the box lid. You might have to partially close the lid and push it firmly to make it close. I hope this is clear.
If you do not have the LT specific Chicane bag or the bag has changed ignore everything I've said. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I had a hard time with the loop and how tight it was on the bag because it really is hard to close the oddments compartment. My solution was to remove the latch and put the loop behind it. The lid will now close quite easily and I am not concerned about removing it easily. I leave it on the bike because it is so handy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Be carefull on putting too much stress on the rear loop. Several of us have ripped our loops out. Randy at Chicane has replaced them prompty, but it is still a pain to have to exchange them. What I found was the bottom compartment that holds the carry strap uses Velcro for closure and if that is not closed just right can make the bottom edge bulge and not make it easy close.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those Pics helped me...I bought my LT used, and i noticed velcro under the cover, right where it should be for a Chicane Bag... I was wondering what the previous owner had attached there.

More reason to order one, anyone know if they have some now, or know of a place to order a LT specific chicane Bag

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Getting a Chicane Tank Bag

I got mine on the classified sections on this site. I got mine from a former LT owner for approx 75 bucks. Great deal! Dabubba was selling one for $77. Click here :

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=classifieds&Number=307139&Search=true&Forum=classifieds&Words=chicane &Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=307139

I find mine to be extremly handy for holding my golves, keys, sunglasses and directions. I get lots of looks and questions. I highly recommend getting one.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Glad the pics helped. :)

As for a used one, DABubba is selling one HERE.

Otherwise, you can buy a new one from Chicane by calling Randy at 303.877.0854

HTH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the informative replies. The pictures were especially helpful. The bag is now mounted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's another Chicane question - a while back someone wrote that Chicane was introducing a "mark 2" version of the LT bag. I think one of the changes was a larger map pocket. Anyone know if it was ever released?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Joe you are good for plenty of things we just haven't figured what to do with them yet.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Next time I send pictures instead.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Chicane bag mounting and lid closing pictures

I love that little Chicane tankbag, its very versatile and well designed.
I didn't really like the way it mounted and having to slam the lid closed to latch it, I removed the locking pin and elongated the mounting hole trying to move it down, that didn't work. The solution was actually very simple, with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments box. (pic 1) then hooked the strap up high around the back of the plastic thingy (pic 2) and now it latches by just letting it drop from the open position.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I love that little Chicane tankbag, its very versatile and well designed.
I didn't really like the way it mounted and having to slam the lid closed to latch it, I removed the locking pin and elongated the mounting hole trying to move it down, that didn't work. The solution was actually very simple, with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments box. (pic 1) then hooked the strap up high around the back of the plastic thingy (pic 2) and now it latches by just letting it drop from the open position.
What is the part number for the chicane LT tank bag and also do you have a web side to look at pricing.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
That's really a nice idea. I'll give it a try as well. I think that they should make the strap a little longer. :)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
...The solution was actually very simple, with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments box. (pic 1) then hooked the strap up high around the back of the plastic thingy (pic 2) and now it latches by just letting it drop from the open position.
Very nice!!! Bravo!

I'm headed out to the garage in a few...

vgstef said:
What is the part number for the chicane LT tank bag and also do you have a web side to look at pricing.
I don't believe there is a part number, per se, it's just called the "LT tankbag". You're dealing with a very small company here. We don't need no stinking part numbers! :D Their website is http://www.chicane-usa.com/ . But that won't do you much good as the LT tankbag isn't anywhere to be found. Best just to call them and leave a message. Or...call BMW of Vegas. Rumor has it they currently have them in stock.

HTH

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
How to get a Chicane bag

Uhhmm what he said.
They are a very small company on their way to becoming large and the 2 guys that run it spend a lot of their time promoting their product at rally's. (it's a tough job but someone has to do it)
Leave a message they will call you back ....eventually.
They will take care of you and they will keep their word.
It took me almost 3 months to get mine, had something to do with homeland security and customs, there was a container full in country but they couldn't get at them.
It was worth the wait.

BMW of Colorado Springs may have some in stock.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Done deal

Elmer-- looks like yer covered ... as far as how to secure the bag. It's a little tricky, but once you get get the front and back adjusted, it works great. Had mine since MOA in Spokane and love it. Picked up a map holder at Lake Jackson CCR this year that secures over the bag and is nice too as it provides more "map space" than the provided bag does (the only downside). Of course, if you have a GPS, then it's not so critical. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts