BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a bizarre question, but I'm curious as to how everyone gets on, and off, their LT. It isn't the easiest steed to saddle up, for sure.

I always park on the center stand so pretty much get on her like I would a horse. I put my left foot in the left stirrup (on the peg), hold onto the horn with my right hand (the top curve of the right handlebar) and swing my right leg over to the right stirrup. All of this is made even more difficult by the fact that I have a backrest in the way.

Every bike I've owned previously, I've used the side stand and simply popped my right leg up and over the back. I can't do that with the LT. For one, there is a top case in the way.

On the same note, is there a "graceful" way to dismount? I sure haven't found one yet.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
About the same

Getting on I do the same as you. I have floorboards, so my left foot goes on it and the right leg swings over the backrest. Getting off, for some reason I feel more comfortable doing it on the right side. With her on the side stand I place my right foot on the ground and as I lift my left leg up I grab my left ankle with my left hand and lift/swing it over the backrest.
Just a matter of preference I guess. I'm then on the wrong side to put her on the center stand, but I don't do that very often.
Just my $0.02. Jer

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Like with all touring bikes, you do a high kick & step over it.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
When I pull up to stop and dismount, if there is a crowd, I like to gett'em laughin' right off. So I shove down the sidestand, stand on the ground with my left foot and reach across the seat and grab my right pant leg and hoist and pull it over the seat. A beeg "whew, I think I cut one" gits rid of the onlookers. :eek:

Mounting is reverse of the dismounting, 'cept I don't worry about getting rid of the crowd, cuz they're usually too busy tryin' to look cool to mount up too!! :D
Heracleitus said:
This may be a bizarre question, but I'm curious as to how everyone gets on, and off, their LT. It isn't the easiest steed to saddle up, for sure.

I always park on the center stand so pretty much get on her like I would a horse. I put my left foot in the left stirrup (on the peg), hold onto the horn with my right hand (the top curve of the right handlebar) and swing my right leg over to the right stirrup. All of this is made even more difficult by the fact that I have a backrest in the way.

Every bike I've owned previously, I've used the side stand and simply popped my right leg up and over the back. I can't do that with the LT. For one, there is a top case in the way.

On the same note, is there a "graceful" way to dismount? I sure haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Me on top; missionarry. I prefer it and hope we keep it that way.

Kidding aside - good point! I keep rubbing my dirty shoe on either my seat or the pax seat. There HAS to be a better way.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Dismount ???? you mean you guys get off the bike???Dang I had not thought of that. it would make showering easyer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DarkMeister said:
I keep rubbing my dirty shoe on either my seat or the pax seat. There HAS to be a better way.
Exactly my point! I find my boot scuffing across the seat now and then. I haven't caused any damage it it...yet. I sure as hell don't want to either.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I used to stand beside the bike and swing my right leg over. Ever since I added a backrest, though, I find it easier to step onto the left footpeg when mounting. I almost always park the bike on the centerstand which makes this easy. I know you can step on the left peg when the bike is on the sidestand but it just feels funny to do it that way.

I often dismount a little differently. I don't like to swing my right leg backwards over the passenger seat, seems like I'm going to kick someone by mistake. Instead, on the dismount, I put my left foot on the ground and sort of pull my right leg straight back off the driver's seat. Harder to describe than to do.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
mounting the big girl

Most often I have it on the side stand and simply swing my leg over (don't have a backrest), then gently lift her up straight. When she's on the center stand I do not put my foot on the foot peg but rather swing my leg over as I do when it's on the side stand. But again, there is not back rest.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Dick said:
When I pull up to stop and dismount, if there is a crowd, I like to gett'em laughin' right off. So I shove down the sidestand, stand on the ground with my left foot and reach across the seat and grab my right pant leg and hoist and pull it over the seat. A beeg "whew, I think I cut one" gits rid of the onlookers. :eek:

Mounting is reverse of the dismounting, 'cept I don't worry about getting rid of the crowd, cuz they're usually too busy tryin' to look cool to mount up too!! :D
Thanks Dick. I needed a good chuckle...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Mounting

Bike with a back rest.

Least preferred: "The Hop" - Left hand on the grip, standing on left foot, right hand whirling in the air helping to keep balance, raise right foot over the seat by bending the right leg at the hip and setting the right foot on the driver's seat. Then hop, hop, hop on the left foot closer and closer to the bike until you can sit. This techinque works but is completely lacking in grace, looks stupid, and is kind of hard to do. :)

Best: With the bike on the centerstand or side stand, hands on the grips, place left foot on the peg, lean forward, bend right knee, and swing the right leg over the backrest. Works good, looks good (a real crowd pleaser, you can pretend you are John Wayne getting on his horse).

Second best, used when the bike is on the sidestand with too much lean to stand on the peg: Both hands on grips, lean forward at the waist, (sort of bowing to the god of motorcycling); while forward at the waist, bend right leg at the knee to clear the backrest and swing leg over. (Similar to "best" above, but since you're standing on the ground greater effort is required to clear the backrest with right leg.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Y'know the move the Sumo wrestlers do right before the match. Yea, that one. Dismount the same only in reverse.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Keep the damage to a minimum.

Heracleitus said:
Exactly my point! I find my boot scuffing across the seat now and then. I haven't caused any damage it it...yet. I sure as hell don't want to either.
That's why I grab my ankle with the hand of the same side on the dismount, so it won't be inclined to brush/dent/soil/scuff/leave any tel tale signs of abuse. The opposite hand is firmly holding onto the handlebar.

Jer

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My steed

I get a running start from the rear and grab the luggage rack and jump over the trunk and land on the seat. Doesn't everyone?..... :histerica

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I started out facing the bike, using left hand on right heel to place the boot across the seat, then sliding onto the seat. Getting off was the same in reverse. Having taken the MSF BRC last summer, I was in the habit of holding the front brake while mounting/dismounting, so I felt I needed to find a better way. My bike has Gold Wing passenger armrests that have enough clearance to allow my foot to pass under. I get on and off just like any other motorcycle, although I'm careful not to drag foot on seat.

I tried mounting with foot on peg, while the bike was on the sidestand once. While it worked, I knew I'd be under it, if things didn't go well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mounting bike

Its very easy I find. When the backrest is on I just step on left peg and swing my leg over and mount when on center stand . When on side stand I just grab my right pants leg and push over the drivers seat.. Just the iopposite for dismounting. Without backrest I just simply swing leg over to get on and off with center stand or side stand. Just my two cents : :dance: :dance: dance:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Remember how motivated you were your "first time".. Remember how good it felt to throw a leg over and hop on?

My first was so tall I had to do that...

It was a Red and White "paperboy" from Western Auto.

·
Registered
809 Posts
One leg at a time.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If I had to think about getting on I would probably look stupid and fall over. I just get on. Let your instinks kick in and do it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts