BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How or why did you replace them?? I thought I needed them once back from Alaska, but just took a 50 mile ride and the bike was smooth. So how do you know??? I rather spend the money on J pegs and a back rest.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I was bottoming-out at low speeds over speed-bumps, and also noticed some "porpoising" through the twisties. The bike just wasn't as tight.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Pay special attention to Griff's comment on the pre-loader.

Bottle of jack oil - $3.00 (aprox)

Time to re-fill pre-loader - 15 minutes

Fundage protection - Very High, but not priceless.

My '02 has 24K on 'er. She was get'n a tad 'lumpish'. Was considering the pain of doing some new bounce dampers. Instead, I did the pre-load fill up. Now she's like a whole new bike. Dodged that one for a bit longer!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, been there.

grifscoots said:
If it wallers in the corners and you've got them jacked all the up and have added more oil to the preloader.... it's time.

I guess it is time then. Waller in the courner it does that too. So that is it, new shocks.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

The preloader has juice added in the past. So I think it is time. I just need the reinsurance from you all. DAmb it. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have an '03 and have added oil to the preload 3 or 4 times. I add oil if the adjustment knob resistance drops off before the knob is backed out all the way. As was mentioned previously, jack oil is very cheap. YMMV

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 03 is just below 50,0000 and their way gone. Wallowing with a harsh ride, bucks me out of the seat on bumps she'd used to soak up. In the process of deciding between Ohlins and Wilburs. I'm hoping tire cupping/wear may be alleviated a bit by new shocks? I'm really anxious to get them..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Adding Oil to the Pre-loader

Griff, what is the process for adding oil to the Pre-loader? And as stated in one of the other posts: Was it correctly stated that when I don't feel any resistance on the knob but I still have some turns left before it stops at the lowest setting oil is needed?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Adding oil to the rear shock pre-load is very easy. It's worth adding oil to the pre-load to see if it makes any difference in handling. I add oil to mine every 4-5 months.

1. Raise the seat
  2. Rotate the pre-load adjustment knob 90 degrees. Back out the adjustment knob.
  3. Remove the hex head bolt that secures the adjustment assembly to the frame.
  4. Turn the adjustment assembly upside down and remove the banjo bolt. You will need to hold the hose you removed up to prevent any oil from draining out.
  5. Insert a small rod or screwdriver into the opening and press the adjustment plate down to the bottom of the adjustment assembly.
  6. Add jack oil to bring the level to the top of the reservoir.
  7. Assembly is the reverse of the disassembly procedure.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Just remember, adding oil to the remote preload adjuster does not effect the damping abilities of a shock.
My 05 only had 6k on it when I ordered and installed Ohlins. As well as it rode stock, the Ohlins made a heck of an improvement.
When it starts riding like a new GW the shocks are shot.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
motorman587 said:
I guess it is time then. Waller in the courner it does that too. So that is it, new shocks.
Randy is selling a pair of brand new OEMs. If you're not in the mood to spend the money on aftermarkets. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
motorman587 said:
How or why did you replace them?? I thought I needed them once back from Alaska, but just took a 50 mile ride and the bike was smooth. So how do you know??? I rather spend the money on J pegs and a back rest.

when you have enough money to buy new ones!

here is my choice for the lt in this order

highway ottomans
back rest
shocks

I can ride that bike all day like that.

BTW if your in my neck of the woods any time soon, (NE Ga) your welcome to take the bike for a ride i don't think it will be seeing FL again under me.

Tom

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
astuber said:
Adding oil to the rear shock pre-load is very easy. It's worth adding oil to the pre-load to see if it makes any difference in handling. I add oil to mine every 4-5 months.

1. Turn the adjustment assembly upside down and remove the banjo bolt. You will need to hold the hose you removed up to prevent any oil from draining out.
  2. Insert a small rod or screwdriver into the opening and press the adjustment plate down to the bottom of the adjustment assembly.
  3. Add jack oil to bring the level to the top of the reservoir.
Questions about adding shock oil:
1. Are there any concerns with air in the lines like the brakes? If so, how do you bleed the system?
2. What type and weight of oil would one use?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Mine is an 05 and I added the oil when it only had 9k miles.....

Back to being just like new again.....Hope it lasts this time?

*Wonder where all the oil goes to or was is not filled correctly at the
factory?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
wardenross said:
Maybe this will help..see pix
Mr. Ross,
Thank you for the pictures. I had a pretty good idea of how to add the oil to the shock reservior, but the pictures explained it in perfect detail. I added the oil this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Wow! Did I do this post!?!?

I want to add that the object you use to push down the "plunger" should be something soft. Like a piece of plastic, or a wooden dowel. Nothing with a sharp end.

Also, once removed, as much as possible, keep the loose hydraulic hose pointed upward. This will keep fluid from running out and introducing air into the line.

Peace Out!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts