BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this predicament interesting, having to tear down to fix the leaking main seal and replace the clutch. I've wondered, after reading many posts on this subject, how I'd feel about the BMW when 'my time came'. Well my time has come, although I had planned on tearing into it this coming winter. I'm just slightly ahead of my own schedule. But for all the bad I've read, and the anger that many seem to feel, I'm not that upset about it. I'm really thankful that I found this in my shop, and not on the side of the road in a land far far away.
So, clean the shop, spend some quality time reading the Clymers and some posts, and in we go. Actually, it's almost a good thing. 68,000 miles on her, just got the new shocks installed, have the Russell Day-long seats, love the bike, and now I'll have a new clutch etc., and might as well get the FD rebuilt just for the he!! of it. No longer feel the burning desire to see what the new and improved LT might be.
Just not that big a deal. Certainly not enough to get in a big huff about, or vent and pout. I just may have to lean on a few of you guys in the next week or so, so don't go too far, K?
How have you that've gone before me feel about it?

Oh, and Silver Buffalo: it wasn't my fault, honest!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've done more than $9k worth of work to my bike in the last 2 years.... It gets easier every time is how I feel.... and nothing surprises me.... I just park it for 6 months.... get tired of looking at it and then get after it. It is disgusting at first but now that I have more of a new bike than I did before it failed I feel ok about the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well, ya' know any time with the bike is better than the best day in the office..........It really has never bothered me one wit to tear into a project..........Sounds like you know how these things work, get after it.............You'll feel so much better when you roll out of the shop.......trust me on this one.............It's not like the LT is wanting to leave you sittin' on the side of the road somewhere. Crap happens man.......you caught it in the barn.......think of that as a real blessing to my way of thinking................

Best of all to you...and enjoy the quality time..............Will be thinking of you and do 'B-Safe'............Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
I genuinely enjoyed working on my old bike (2003LT) and had no problem with potential upcoming involved repairs if and when they turned up. It's broke, you work hard and fix it, it is fixed and YOU did it, you go ride. How great is that? I would bet the parts are cheaper than the therapy expense to get that rush of feel good.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Great attitude. I'm one of those that likes working on the bike almost as much as riding it. Best of luck with your project.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Like the rest of you--I do not mind working on my bike...what I don't like....

:stir: ...waiting for parts from the Fatherland...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts