BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sold my RDL seat and assume I have to remove the lock barrel from the seat...but I can't figure out how.

Do I need to?

Will the buyer of the seat be able to use his key or is that lock (left side riders seat by heated switch) require the exact key specific to each individual bike?

Or does it only require a BMW key from any RT? Mine is a 2014 and the buyer owns a 2019.

If I remove it, then he has to go get a new lock barrel or should I leave it in and let him get it rekeyed???

I bought a Sargent and not sure if It will be coming with a new lock barrel or not? If it does and it's just a generic fit to any BMW key then I wouldn't have to remove the lock barrel....right?

If the Sargent seat does come with a lock barrel...then will I have to have it rekeyed to fit my specific key??

Sargent is closed for cleaning this week so I couldn't get any answers from them....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My original thought was I'd remove the lock barrel from my RDL and insert into my Sargent as the key is probably specific to each bike/lock.

Likewise the buyer of this seat would remove his lock barrel and insert it into my RDL I'm sending to him.

If you know how to remove the lock barrel can you please advise me on how it's done?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is a 30 second job to swap locks from seat to seat. Turn the seat over and you will see a small hole toward the rear of the lock housing. Take a small Allen Wrench or paper clip and push down the retaining pin. With the key in the lock, you can pull the lock cylinder out. To install, put the key in and push down on the retaining clip then insert the lock.

found it!!!

Mine didn't have a hole....but I could see the "retainer" and with a pointy tool simply pushed it down and it slid right out.

just need something pointy to push down last tumbler and it slides right out....whew! now you know the rest of the story

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts