BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that the beast is under construction might as well replace the crappy stock grips but how do you replace then I don,t mind doing away with the heated element (no use for them in miami)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have carefully slit the old rubbers off--not to damage the heating wraps. I would leave them if I was you, you may want to sell the the bike at some point and it is a definite plus.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Before you cut the OEM off I would suggest you find the ones you want to replace them with first.

If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) the bar is a small diameter then most handle bars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just replaced the ones on my 05 LT. I've also replaced the grips on my 01 R1100S. Both have heated grips. Its real easy. Use a razor blade and slice down the rubber grip closest to the switch housing. With your other hand, pull up on the rubber grip as you slice. Try not to cut all the way through the grip if its against the heated grip tube. Just pull away and slice. There may be some glue applied by BMW at the end of the grip and there may be a dab or two close to the switch gear. Just take your time and slice under the grip as you pull. After you get the grip off, clean up any additional grip rubber with the razor blade. I then tape the ends of the heated housing tube with electrical tape. I bought 2 sets of classic EMGO grips from Dime City Cycles. I used the throttle grip from each pack since it has the bigger hole. I slide the grips on with hair spray. It dries and holds like glue. the grips are thick in the middle and make for a comfortable ride and the heat still comes through. Here is a link to the grips if you want to take a look.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ic-oe-style-titty-cushion-grips-42-28700.html

·
Registered
241 Posts
Or, for a few bucks, you could just slide some grip puppies over them. I did that to my F800ST, it feels great and the heat still works through them.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yes, but you need 2 throttle side grips. Do a search on replace grips and you will find some good info. One of the posts shows how to install Kuryakin grips and they do look nice.

Bo, I'll bet those grips feel good! The web site describes them as "titty cushion" :eek:.

printman said:
I saw these on ebay (see picture) they are size 7/8 is that the size for a 2000 K1200LT

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is what they look like coming off, apparently melted under the grip puppies. Left side didn't go to pieces but melted to the point it was sliding off, doesn't like to slide back on when its cool though. Electrical tape comes in handy, it is still taped up and works fine. Puppies came off both sides and now the heat transfers better. First snow's a comin tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Soooo.... You are the one that bought the chrome reservoir covers... :histerica

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Attached to this message is a TUTORIAL (in PDF format) that I created a while ago for the rubber grips replacement.

Although it was written for the K1200RS, the K1200LT has the same basic parts for the grips. To the best of my knowledge, the main difference would be if you would order new OEM Heated-grips (with the wires) from BMW - the K1200LT has longer wires so the part number has to be different.

The main goal of the Tutorial was to offer cheaper alternatives when your rubber grips are worn, but the heating element is still good.

Hope this Tutorial can be usefull to someone here.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts