BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First the disclaimer: I did a search and learned plenty of useful information (like that it's a 14mm--I get to buy a new tool!)

But I didn't find this piece of information and my Clymer manual seems like it glossed over it.

To get to the transmission drain plug, I have to figure out how to get around a rather large looking assembly that's directly below it. My LT is a 2003, and it doesn't have a hydraulic center stand. I'm not sure how much of this needs to come off or how to best do it.

My usual "go to guy" on disassembly looked at it and said, "Huh, I don't have that on mine. Good luck." (He has a '99.)

Anyone with experience in this area care to share the secrets?

(I'll try to get a pic after I get home from work. Can't quite do it from here but hoping that maybe someone will have answered before then.)

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Lare said:
First the disclaimer: I did a search and learned plenty of useful information (like that it's a 14mm--I get to buy a new tool!)

But I didn't find this piece of information and my Clymer manual seems like it glossed over it.

To get to the transmission drain plug, I have to figure out how to get around a rather large looking assembly that's directly below it. My LT is a 2003, and it doesn't have a hydraulic center stand. I'm not sure how much of this needs to come off or how to best do it.

My usual "go to guy" on disassembly looked at it and said, "Huh, I don't have that on mine. Good luck." (He has a '99.)

Anyone with experience in this area care to share the secrets?

(I'll try to get a pic after I get home from work. Can't quite do it from here but hoping that maybe someone will have answered before then.)
Larry,
Here a 3-in-one link; engine, tranny & rear drive :D

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=4

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sir, are a fine upstanding human being. I did not come across that one but it seems like it might answer my questions. Can't wait to get home and try it.

Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Cat Litter "stuff" and newspaper

I seem to do better with lots of the above available when I do all three fluids on my 2002. The more I have available, the less I need to use. Also good to have large container to store used fluids and filter. Every 3-4 changes I drop off used fluids and filters at local oil change place. Even without a lift, it takes about an hour and 1-2 beer to get the job done. I also keep my spare parts box handy for leftover parts. Handy for parts needed and extra's the factory alway seem to include!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Auto Zone has a set of three Allen sockets (1/2" drive) for under ten bucks one of them is a 14 mm.
I have removed the "socket" from the Allen "stub" and use a box end wrench on it.
I learned this little oil can trick from the BMW mechanic of Bentonville Arkansas.
Quite usefull for a lot of things.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Lare said:
You sir, are a fine upstanding human being. I did not come across that one but it seems like it might answer my questions. Can't wait to get home and try it.

Thank you very much.
No Problemo! You learn a lot over a short period of time on this site. Hans has some good pointers also! :)

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Oil container trick is a decoy

I do that one too, except that every time I turn my back, someone bumps it or kicks it and then the oil runs into the newspaper. Kitty litter cleans up the rest.....

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
dandiver said:
I do that one too, except that every time I turn my back, someone bumps it or kicks it and then the oil runs into the newspaper. Kitty litter cleans up the rest.....
Buy package of 2' x 2' puppy training pads at Wal-Mart --- absorbent liner with no-leak-thru backing. Had some spillage while doing the fluid changes? Just fold up the pad and toss in the trash can. :thumb:

Tip credit to Dave Moore/Boerne.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone I managed to change all three fluids with a mininimal amount of cussing.

Ive been reminded that no matter what I put under the bike to catch the inevitable spills won't help at all when I kick over the opened bottle of oil that was in just the wrong place while I was on my back trying to see the scale on the torque wrench. :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That's what we are here for,

to help you when you need help and.......
to laugh at you when you screw up. :histerica

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SilverBuffalo said:
That's what we are here for,

to help you when you need help and.......
to laugh at you when you screw up. :histerica
Sounds like the definition of a friend to me.

Of course, the definition of a real friend is someone who sits in the cell with you and says "Now that was really cool!"

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts