BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of buying this bike and need help with the seat. The bike is a great deal but has a single seat. I have never seen this set up and need to know what I can do to change it over. Here is a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rep, you didn't upload your photo properly. Are you trying to link to an external picture or upload & attach the file?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I will get this pcture upload right eventually. Here is a small picture of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
That Watzit unbolts
Then you'll need a top case with backrest
and a pillion seat
search Ebay

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
what you have here is a Corbin Smuggler, an expensive add-on/replacement for the rear seat. It is good news in the sense that this thing costs pretty penny and you can sell it.

You should be able tp find a rear seat at www.beemerboneyard.com, or try to exchange your Smuggler for a seat and get some cash on top of it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
This is a Corbin Smuggler. Are you sure the previous owner does not know where the original seat & trunk have disappeared.

I think there are Smuggler owners who know what usually happens to the left over parts. Corbin does not take them as trade-ins I guess...

Regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a trunk the same color as your LT I would either sell or trade.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
THe Corbin Smuggler that's on the bike you pictured replaced the stock trunk and passenger seat. You will need to remove the Smuggler and replace it with the stock components. It's not hard to do, but if the bike doesn't come with those parts as part of the sale it's a fairlty significant expense. The trunk alone is about $1300 new, and the rear seat is around $300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all who have responded. I am new to this bike and did not know what to do with this seat issue. The knowledge of everyone on this forum is incredible and very much appreciated. I will have lots of questions in the near future. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I've got a like new rear seat and passenger backrest I'll trade you for the Smuggler - that's worth about $500 new. I think I know where you can get a trunk "takeoff" (basically brand new but never used) for around $600.00 - half price. It will need to be repainted to match your scoot.

The passenger seat bolts on with two screws in about a minute, and the passenger backrest mounts with 4 bolts to the trunk in a couple of minutes.

You don't need to have a trunk - many ride without them and it actually helps to improve the handling by lowering the center of gravity and at the same time reducing drag... a Fort Worth Rack in place of the trunk gives a very finished look and allows a place to strap on waterproof duffle bag. I had double the storage capacity of the trunk with my bag when touring, simply unstrapped it when around town.

You can get them new for about $300 or used for half price. I had one and liked it ALOT! ;)

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
Robert,

Welcome to the forum. You need to click on the "reunion" link at the top of the page. There will be over 500 of us right in your back yard at the end of the month at Tan Tar A resort in Osage Beach for our Curve Cowboy Reunion. Bet you could find some one there willing to swap. Check it out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Corbin Smuggler

That is sharp. I like it, but my passenger needs the original. :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
REP said:
Thanks to all who have responded. I am new to this bike and did not know what to do with this seat issue. The knowledge of everyone on this forum is incredible and very much appreciated. I will have lots of questions in the near future. Thanks again for the help.
If you can't find someone to trade and you don;t want/need the smuggler, I'd pass on that bike and look for another.

But I bet someone here would be willing to trade you.

randy

·
Registered
805 Posts
For my .02, check out the retail price on that Corbin set up. I'm guessing that it is worth more than a new top case with backrest and an OEM rear seat. You might want to keep it for solo touring, if that is in your future. +1 on checking with the original owner about the location of the original equipment, but I'm guessing he sold it to offset the Corbin's price. +1 on beemerboneyard for replacement OEM equipment, and there are some strip-n-sell outfits on the big online auction site, as well as owners occasionally selling used parts. Also consider what you want to do with the Corbin front seat. The OEM rear seat will look very different, and you want to make sure that its fitment with the Corbin front does not present any problems.

Or you could require the pillion person to sit in the Smuggler? ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts