BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had moved to Sacramento from Los Angeles due to a new job and had left most of the social activities behind. Initially, I managed to drive down to L.A. every other weekend to see my parents and then friends. Eventually the toll of driving both ways was too much for a two day weekend.

In the mean time I had made some new friends through work. One day I get this call from Ken, one of my new friends, asking if I would want to go camping with him and his friends. I said sure since I knew several that were going. So off to REI I went to buy a tent and sleeping bag etc.

Ken and I went ahead of everyone on Friday. We each took a half a day off so we could set up the campsite at Bodega Bay. Beer being plentiful, we each had a few and watched the rest of the campers slowly trickle in. It was almost dark and two had not made it yet and we were all getting worried. Cell phones were not that common at the time so no way to contact and see if everything was ok with the last two.

About an hour later Ken and I are standing at the edge of the campsite talking and having another beer and a buzz going, when I see the two late arrivals coming up the trail to the campsite. So I looked at Ken and said who are they? He said that's Patty and Mary. We got introduced. There was something about Patty that attracted me to her.

So I spent some time talking with her during that weekend. Two weeks later Ken’s wife calls and asks if I was dating anyone. I said not seriously. So I was invited to dinner. It was dinner with Ken, his wife Renee and Patty. Good dinner followed by a game of Pictionary.

After dinner we said good bye to our hosts and I asked Patty in the apartment complex parking lot if I could call her sometime. She said sure and gave me her number. This was a Saturday night. I figured I’d call her sometime during the week. I guess I waited too long to call. Wednesday I got a call from Patty and she asked me if I’d like to have lunch with her. We worked two blocks away from each other at the time.

We had lunch on that Wednesday. Two years later we were married.

Unbeknownst to me, when she first saw me coming up the trail to the campsite, she had this premonition that she was going to marry me. Good thing I went to lunch with her that Wednesday 17 years ago.

She's a keeper.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey Raffy, are you trying to give everyone a headache or sumpin' ;). That is what I call a poor man's eye chart.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yup and that is indeed a nice story.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I lost my wife of many years to ovarian cancer in 1996. We had kids late in life so they were only 9 and 5 when she died. I raised them pretty much on my own so far, relying on family and friends for advise...like how to actually cook a meal!! About a year and a half ago, a friend called and said she had someone she wanted me to meet. Well, I was not meeting Ms. Right in the grocery store or the Home Depot, so I went out on this blind date, not expecting much at all.

Well, as usual, I could not have been more wrong! Diana and I are getting married on February 19, (GULP! Less than two weeks!). She lost her husband to pancreatic cancer so we have both seen our share of sorrow. But any sorrow I had left has been turned to joy by this remarkable woman!

She comes with a house, two cats, two Labrador retrievers and two horses PLUS----a big Ford F-350 crew cab 4X4 diesel pickup truck!

I come with a house ( not so neat and clean), two teenagers and a 2002 BMW LT, which Diana loves to be on with me!

Yes sir, life is good! Way good!!!

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
It was a dark and stormy night... No, really...

I had moved back from Boston, where I had dated the psycho-bitch-from-hell, and was just looking for an occasional dinner date. Nothing serious was my mantra at the time.

Friends of mine set me up on a blind date, on a rainy night. The four of us piled into their Blazer, and off we went to dinner. I found my blind date to be charming, intelligent, and good company! I asked her out for a second date. That went well also!

We were married two years later. And that was 14 years ago. Life is wonderful with the perfect mate... Even more so when she understands the need for toys and farkels!!!

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
My wife and I were introduced by an axe murder.

True.

Tale is best told over adult beverages, however.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I met Melinda, my better-half, almost 32 years ago. I was in the USAF (had lost my college deferment due to a motorcycle accident and time out of school) and just been relocated, due to a freak service connected back injury, to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma.

Got invited to dinner at a newly married, fellow serviceman’s home where I met his high school sweetheart, now his wife. I was just a casual acquaintance of this guy, couldn’t say why I agreed to go, probably just missed home cooking.

Soon after I was hospitalized for my back, and she visited often.

She had married a guy she didn’t know; he had changed that much in Nam, and he was not very stable, used drugs (many of us did during this time), and just about kept her captive. (I learned that years later he turned his life around and became an evangelist)

1 months later, after I was release from the hosp., I removed her from an abusive husband and moved her into an apartment rented by some gals I knew. I saw her regularly during the divorce proceedings. I pawned my favorite 35mm camera to help pay the fee.

Our first real date was New Years Eve 1974. The month after I got out of the service we got married, July 22, 1974, in Anderson CA.

I’m from CT, she’s from southern CA, and we met in OK.... just about halfway between our homes, through a tremendous amount of coincidences.

It turns out that years before (mid 60’s), she lived for a time in Plantation FL, and I summered at my folks condo in Fort Lauderdale... a mere 6 miles apart.

Life is WONDERFUL

·
Registered
630 Posts
40 years ago, almost to the day, I was swept off of my feet by a beautiful freshman coed at Michigan State University. We were married in November of 1966 -- wow, that was a long time ago! :)

Four wonderful children, four great children-in-laws, and eight perfect grand children later we are still happily married and looking forward to many more years together -- Lord willing.

I can't believe that she has put up with me for all these years!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Back when, I was working for a Theater Ministry in Europe. We were holding our annual summer training session. Training involved classes durring the day and theater in the evenings. Lots of work in several departments doing upto 4 hours of production every night. Never the same thing twice for upto 6 weeks.

I was a Unit Leader for one of the touring units (performed in German for churches, schools, military bases, etc) and durring one of our Unit Leader meetings, one of the supervisors mentioned we had a hard working gal working the prop room - hard working and always available to lend a hand. But she didn't think she was appreciated, was 'invisible' and no one noticed her or her efforts. He wouldn't say who she was and there were several ladies working the prop room. I later learned His goal was to get us to not take anyone for granted. In my own arrogance I figured I knew who he was talking about so made a point to treat this one particular, shy, quiet young lady to some breaks, lunches and an ice-cream or two.

She invited me home to Northern Ireland for the Christmas break - spent it with her family - as I didn't have resoruces to fly back to the states.

One year latter we were married at her home church just outside Belfast.

That was 18 years and one 10 year old son ago <BG>

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Which one? :)

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
I've been involved in a medieval recreation group for a few years, doing sword fighting, leather work, making period clothes, and generally researching everything I could find about Leonardo da Vinci. A newcomer to the group moved into the area and came to a reenactment event in a local park. My girlfriend and I held an after party that day, and Dayle and I were briefly introduced as she wanted to get signed up for the group's newsletter, which I was producing. I thought it odd that she lived in a hotel, as they were still getting settled in.

The next time we met was a couple of weeks later at a Halloween party also at my house, where we had the chance to chat a bit more. It took me almost a month to see her in "normal" clothes, and we became friends as we worked on various projects in support of our reenactment group over the next year or so.

At some point, we both realized that while we were perfectly content in our current situations, there was just something more there. After unsuccessfully ignoring the truth for many months, we eventually realized that either one of us had to move out of state, or we had to give everything else up and try it together. It wasn't easy, but it was, and still is, absolutely amazing. There's just something about having to fight just to be together that gives you a real appreciation for each other.

A couple of years later I got transferred overseas, and we were married in Gretna Green and took the next week to explore Scotland on the bike. Dayle and I have been traveling the world ever since. Both of our ex's are now married with kids, something that none of us wanted previously. So despite the hassles, everything has pretty much worked out to everyone's benefits.

·
Registered
277 Posts
After leaving a divorce in Savannah, Ga., I moved to Donalsonville, GA., determined that I would never date again.

Well, one of my teachers set me up with a blind date with Cindy. We had three dates and agreed to get married the next month. It has been the most wonderful 24 years of my life and she says the same. It just goes to prove that the age difference factor is not that important.

BTW, Cindy proposed to ME on our third date. We were in Atlanta at the Fox Theater watching Yul Brenner in "The King and I." Honest. She even owns up to it.

It just couldn't get any better!!! I wish everyone could be as happy as we are. I love that gal!!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
$20 saz I can marry that girl!!!

Home on liberty for the weekend after a Med cruise; just got back into the states. A buddy from the ship and I went to meet at a local drinking establishment. Oct 1972.

Saw the cutest chick on the dance floor; she would follow one of the local bands around. My buddy and I were sitting at the bar and I bet him $20 bux I could marry that girl. July 1973 we tied the knot and are still together.

The best thing I ever did... it literally saved my life.

He paid me at the wedding!!!
(my wife only found out about the bet 2 years ago... boy was she pissed!!)
After 31 years!!! Go figure...

·
Registered
319 Posts
meeting one day at the ER

23 years ago I met the woman of my dreams. I was a young patrol officer and was dealing with a drunk at the local ER. Beck, was working and going to college full-time. I was coming out of real bad marriage but the one good thing was my first born son. One year or so after our meeting we married. Now, we have two sons a daughter in-law and one great grandson and another on the way. Life is GREAT, when you are in love. God has blessed me and my family and my prayers are if your looking for that right person, I hope you find a lady as good as mine.

2001 k1200lt (Pac/blue)
2001 Ford sportrac
2001 mazda
and one tired cop (29yr)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Summer of "81" at a freinds daytime party.
Within the crowd of @ 50 or 60 beer drinking partying folks a few of us were packin heat ( Super soakers ) :) we were the party police sort of speak.
Well ... with kids in the mix and wanting something to do, naturally they (Kids)
find a way to get one of the squirt guns and find a willing big kid to engage in some wet fun.
Well as it turns out I had just takin a cheap shot ambush from this unknow @ 6 year old young man, and was in hot persuit of a little kid soaking.
Shortly into the chase I was halted by a fine looking lady who claimed the suspect kid was her son kyle ... Well Hello, I'm Scott ... Nice kid you have their , yea right !

Spent time talking and found out she was a single woman who just moved to placerville from santa cruz to escape the singles atmophere ... Was a professional career woman and had her shi* together.

Well the party was soon over, a phone call or two made between freinds because of mutual interest in each other we soon had a dinner date at a freinds house. Soon followed by others one on one. Married her in the winter of "84" .... Now 21 years later, still a happly married man. Think I keep her a while longer.

Scott & Dawn

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Does this mean you won't be free for coffee the next time I'm Baltimore way?? ;)

Congradulations.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Uh....

We met in the 8th grade -- 1970. Dated exclusively through junior high school, high school, my military service, and college. We've been married since 1978.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Met my wife in September 25 years ago. We both worked at the same place. I'd stop near her department 'cause the drinking fountain was there. Wasn't really looking for a relationship of any sort..

In January of 1981 I was pigeon-holed by another co-worker who said " There's some one here that thinks you're really cute!" (ME!? CUTE!? No Way!!!!) Took two days to get it out of her whom that might be. 25 years and 1 week ago I asked Twyla to go with a group from work to a Beach Boys concert in Ames IA. (Lived near Des Moines at the time). First date on February 18th, 25 years ago. She was disappointed that I did not kiss her at the end of the first date. Dated for 6 months or so before We started talking about marriage. Gave her the engagement ring that year as a Christmas present wrapped in 6 boxes, so the ring box ended up about 24x24 inches, each box wrapped, some weighted with bricks. She opened it in front of her family Christmas morning: she thought it was a helmet.

Got married 23 years ago this Sunday, the 12th of February 1983. 23 WONDERFUL years married to the best woman in the world. Son is now 10. She continues to amaze me that she wants to be around.

Oh, and she said later, that the first time she saw me, she said to herself "I'm going to marry him." True, ask her.

J.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts