BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it would be nice to have a dedicated touring bike for 2-up road trips, that's not something that my wife and I will get a whole lot of chances to do for the next three or four years.

So, I was wondering if the GS/GSA might be a good all arounder?

If comparing the pillion's experience on the back of a GS/GSA to what she would experience on the back of say a R1200RT, would she be reasonably comfortable sitting on the back of the big adventurer bike?

If these GS bikes are good for long hauls with two people on-board, this might be the best bike out there for me. I wouldn't be doing anything off-road but rather paved/twisty highways in scenic areas, camping areas, country dirt roads, etc...

Nothing hardcore but I'd like to find a bike that can offer decent 2-up comfort and be able to do dirt roads too when the time comes. But if the pillion won't be happy on the back of this bike, then that's a deal breaker.

I'm guessing that it would be okay. What do you people think?

BTW, we're on a big V-twin cruiser right now and it just doesn't really cut it for a ride of any more then two or three hours. Plus, I'm kind of getting itchy to try out a different type of bike and experience a totally different style/experience of riding. I think that I'm getting a bit bored of the old cruiser to tell you the truth, time for a change.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Humbucker said:
While it would be nice to have a dedicated touring bike for 2-up road trips, that's not something that my wife and I will get a whole lot of chances to do for the next three or four years.

So, I was wondering if the GS/GSA might be a good all arounder?

If comparing the pillion's experience on the back of a GS/GSA to what she would experience on the back of say a R1200RT, would she be reasonably comfortable sitting on the back of the big adventurer bike?

If these GS bikes are good for long hauls with two people on-board, this might be the best bike out there for me. I wouldn't be doing anything off-road but rather paved/twisty highways in scenic areas, camping areas, country dirt roads, etc...

Nothing hardcore but I'd like to find a bike that can offer decent 2-up comfort and be able to do dirt roads too when the time comes. But if the pillion won't be happy on the back of this bike, then that's a deal breaker.

I'm guessing that it would be okay. What do you people think?

BTW, we're on a big V-twin cruiser right now and it just doesn't really cut it for a ride of any more then two or three hours. Plus, I'm kind of getting itchy to try out a different type of bike and experience a totally different style/experience of riding. I think that I'm getting a bit bored of the old cruiser to tell you the truth, time for a change.
Humbucker, generally speaking, BMW seats are rubbish.
If you get the rear seat, or both for that matter, remodelled or replaced with Touratech seats your pillion will have a fantastic ride on the back of a GSA.
The suspension travel on those babies makes for a very smooth tour indeed and compared to your cruiser or even an RT for that matter she will arrive smilin which has to be a good thing. Being tender down there is another excuse they just dont need right?
Things to think of though is how agile is the pillion? These bikes sit pretty high off the ground and climbing up onto one if you tour with a rear top box does require technique.
I had to sell my GSA along with the boat and a bunch of other stuff a couple of years ago when my pillion decided she wanted a new house but she didnt want me to live in it.
Bummer I know, I loved that bike!

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The GSA is good for a pillion if you do the following mods:

1. Get an aftermarket seat. The stock seat is trash.
2. Get an aftermarket back rest if you are not using a topbox. I have a backrest I am no
longer using because I bought a topbox.
3. If you have the OEM topbox get the back pad that is a BMW accessory. It will save
her back pain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ex-goldwing rider switched to r1200rt 2011........ rides too rough for me....break in complete.. even in comfort settings... any ideas to help me ride 800 miles /day?

·
Registered
13 Posts
ronk1200lt said:
The GSA is good for a pillion if you do the following mods:

1. Get an aftermarket seat. The stock seat is trash.
2. Get an aftermarket back rest if you are not using a topbox. I have a backrest I am no
longer using because I bought a topbox.
3. If you have the OEM topbox get the back pad that is a BMW accessory. It will save
her back pain.
The stock seats are trash. I got an Adventure as a loaner when warranty work was being done on my R1200RT. Was looking forward to riding the bike back home...approximately 50 miles and couldn't wait to get off the thing. I love to ride and far, but no matter how nice they look, I felt like I got kicked between the cheeks by a Bull with a 8 in. foot. OMG was it painful. It was like sitting on a metal guardrail. Beautiful bike and almost bought one, but would have been disappointed without an aftermarket seat or some adjustment.

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
My copilot thinks the ride on the GSA is better than the GT (fitted with Corbin seats) - based on a couple of hours on the stock seat. Just replaced the trouatech rider and stock pillion seats with Sargent front and rear. The Sargent is as good as a well broekn in Corbin IMHO.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sergent seats are vast improvement! Tends to cradle the co-pilot and much better fit.
Back rest is very important. I have Jesse top box with a pad I made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts