BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my Newbe question.....

How can I tell the difference between the LT Standard, LT Icon, & The LT C??

I think That the C has all the chrome goodies but not sure. Any help you guys can offer to clear this up would be great!! I still don't know which model mine is and I've had it for months now.

Hip

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
hip001 said:
Please excuse my Newbe question.....

How can I tell the difference between the LT Standard, LT Icon, & The LT C??

I think That the C has all the chrome goodies but not sure. Any help you guys can offer to clear this up would be great!! I still don't know which model mine is and I've had it for months now.

Hip
Last coupla posts in this thread may help you figger out which model you have. I forgot to look to see what 'year' yours is, butt at least, this thread oughta help.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dick. I know what the Custom is now and know mine is not one, but still unclear on the Icon?
My bike is a 2000.

·
Registered
552 Posts
In 2000 the standard didn't have the trip computer if I remember. The icon did. That should tell you quickly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine does not have the computer. Sounds like it's the LT Standard.
Can I add the trip computer to this? I saw one for sale once and wondered if it was factory wired and just needs plugged in?

·
Registered
552 Posts
If I remember the wires are all there to do it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Probably not a concern, but I thought I'd throw you a small bit of caution. If you're buying a used "BC" (bike computer), make sure that it displays U.S. measurements. If it's a metric unit, that's what you'll be stuck with. There's not just a simple series of buttons that toggle the display from one unit of measure to the other.

As for what model you have...sometimes it can be hard to nail this down. It sounds like you have a standard, but BMW is notorious for equipping (or not equipping) their bikes properly.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Not sure, but would running the VIN number tell him which model? I thought I saw a post about this once but can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The LT Standard had black fronts on the mirrors, and very little chrome by the footpegs and basic radio. The custom had chrome on the front of the mirrors and down around the footpegs and 6 disk CD changer. the Elite, later changed to Icon, had GPS and CB radio.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Now I'm curious - my 99 has almost no chrome, or heated seats. But it does have the six disk cd player and the on board computer. Is it an Icon?

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
The US models were Standard, Icon, and Elite/Exodus. In the UK, my '99 Custom was known as a Lux model.

But those were basically just the factory built option packages for the first few years of LT production. Even back then as now, you could order bikes with or without certain options. And in later years all options were basically optional, so it often depended on what the local dealer ordered based on what he thought would sell best.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
deedeerrr said:
The Elite, later changed to Icon . . .
Nope, Elite was changed to Exodus, probably so it didn't conflict with the Honda scooter of the same name.

Silverhair said:
Now I'm curious - my 99 has almost no chrome, or heated seats. But it does have the six disk cd player and the on board computer. Is it an Icon?
That sounds like an Icon to me.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
meese said:
The US models were Standard, Icon, and Elite/Exodus. In the UK, my '99 Custom was known as a Lux model.

But those were basically just the factory built option packages for the first few years of LT production. Even back then as now, you could order bikes with or without certain options. And in later years all options were basically optional, so it often depended on what the local dealer ordered based on what he thought would sell best.
Actually Ken, the Elite or Exodus models were not in the original grouping. At least through '00 anyway. My '00 is an LT Custom. The other two options were the Standard (base model) and Icon (mid level). The Custom was the fully equipped model then, but even fully equipped did not include the Intercom Sys. That was extra.

I do agree that the Bike being discussed here probably is an Icon.

John

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking mine must be a standard. It has no computer and no heated seats, but it does have a CB. Maybe it was an option that was available as a dealer installed option? One day I would like to add the computer, heated seats & a Ipod hookup.
I love the bike and will love it even more once I install a new set of rubber to quiet the humming. What are the best tires??? :histerica Just joking. Don't wanna get that madness started!

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
wilbar00c said:
A while back I posted a photo of the 99 sales literature. Go to the 6th post in this thread. Barnett http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23904
I always suspected that I have an Icon. Everything that's described for it in the literature, but I also have the heated seats that are separately controlled (Custom). The PO must have ordered them extra. No chrome anywhere.
It's kind of weird that the PO didn't go for the chrome. He was a HD rider. :rolleyes:

Jer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts