BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, all you inqusitive engineers. How do I similate a rconstant red and a green LED light with wiring harness/socket kit under the front cowling to similate boat navigational lights? Why, you ask? I sell boats and yachts.

Thanks in advance for any bright ideas out there!

Larry
Port Charlotte, FL

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Kinda depends on where you want the lights, exactly. The electrical part is easy - just use the feed to the parking bulb in the headlight.

LEDs or 'neon' kits under cowel for 'effects' light.
Clear lens covers on turn signals - colored LEDs inside turn signal units.

Guess it depends on how 'visible' you want these to be - same or similar to running lights or just an effects deal. May require adding a 2nd 1156 socket to your turn signal housings - involve a bit of work. Then use theatrical bulb dye or gels to color...

Me? I'd go the LED route - use as many as needed for effect.

Crap, now there's an idea - acrylic rod 'light pipe' from an internal bank of 'super brights'. Much easier to do than a 2nd socket or discrete LEDs in the housings. Man, wish I'da thought of that a few months back before I poked all these hols in the signal housings for discrete LEDs. May be time to 'pach' those holes and try a plan 'b'.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You gonna put those on the Bow or on the Stern ?

You could put one on the front engine cover and one on the back of the top box...

I'm sure they make led nav lights for boats now....I'd maybe put LED's in the wind deflectors....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Red & Green LED"s lighting up the wind deflecters would be cool!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
My understanding is that RED and BLUE are no no's cuz of police/emergency considerations. Red and Green . . . just in time for Christmas season!

·
Registered
279 Posts
jpalamaro said:
My understanding is that RED and BLUE are no no's cuz of police/emergency considerations. Red and Green . . . just in time for Christmas season!
Marine nav lights are the same as aviation nav lights... red on the left (port) side, green on the right (starboard) side, and white light at the stern or the highest point of the main structure.
I'd just slip a couple of appropriately colored LEDs inside the mirror housings, to light up with the running lights. I guess you could put the white light up on a Gold-Wing type flag pole on top of the trunk. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your forward facing port light will get you a lot of attention from the LEOs.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hehe, now I'm embarased.

Talk'n 'bout acrylic 'light pipes' and totaly forgot about the wind deflectors. I've even seen picks of someone else doing that with amber LEDs back when. Looked pretty sharp!

Methinks I've a yet another project :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts