BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we seem to have caught up with our maintenace, Except maybe a hid install(Dan) Maybe we should think about a ride somewhere in the next few weeks. Maybe start off with breakfast. Could be a day ride or an overnighter?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Reno to far?

After chatting with John about his business trip, it made me want to go and gamble. Last night I went to my favorite place to get hot wings and a couple of beers. Then I went to a place close to home, O'Brian's, and had a Mirror Pond (aka dessert) while I played a little video poker. When I finished my beer I cashed out and went home. Total expenditure for the evening, $3.00.

It must be a sign that I need to go to Vegas or Reno or something.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Art,
Thats 720 miles each way for me. At least 2 mountain passes. They better have good beer there for me to even think about it in the winter!!!! We could gamble at Ocean shores....

·
Registered
474 Posts
But that makes to much sense.

I just hate rational thought:) plus I was joking for this time of year. I think that it would be fun though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tour of Coastal Waterways

Now that Brian is “King of the Cams” here’s a possible ride to celebrate the success of the tech session and in honor of his aquatic neighborhood.

1. Breakfast in Longview, WA. – Some might consider a prior night stay at the Monticello Hotel that was built in the 1920’s.

2. Head south across the Longview Bridge (aka Lewis & Clark Bridge) – Built in 1930. At the time it was constructed, it was the longest cantilever span in North America.

3. West on Hwy 30 through Clatskanie to Westport, OR and the Columbia River Ferry to Cathlamet, WA – A 12 minute boat ride with a fare of $2.00. Insurance may be required if we let Brian pilot the ferry. (24 miles)

4. West to Willapa Bay on Hwy 4 turning north and going through South Bend to Raymond (71 miles)

5. North to Cosmopolis on 101 (22 miles)

6. West on Hwy 105 (wave to Charlie Choker) along the south side of Grays Harbor to Westport, WA. – Anyone for a seafood lunch? (23 miles)

7. South down along the pacific coast then east along the north side of Willapa Bay back to Raymond. (34 miles)

8. Finally, east along Hwy 6 making our way back to Chehalis and the end of the ride (52 miles)

Total miles: 226

Chehalis is approximately 58 miles south of Tacoma and 86 miles north of Portland. There are lots of options for reducing or adding miles depending on the weather, how many bikes we lose off the ferry, how many times I have to turn around, etc. Any interest???

Dan

·
Registered
474 Posts
Man that is organized and sounds like a good time. I'm not sure when we might get a day on not raining to bad but I'm game.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Well, you could always head south with me tomorrow. Do you prefer snow in the mountain passes, or 50+ mph wind gusts along the coast?

Yeah, me neither. :(

Should be an interesting ride though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There is room in my shop.

I've got room to store your bike if you would rather fly home. Spring is just around the corner:)

The offer is there if you need?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Ken, I for one would definitely take the wind & rain of the Coast over the snowy passes any day! Just my $.02.

Good Luck whichever route you choose. And don't forget Art's offer to stow the Bike. I know he has room.

John

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Thanks, Art, I appreciate the offer. The only problem (besides flight costs) is that leaves the bike up here, and me at home with 60 degree weather and 0% chance of rain. :)

After checking the various road condition websites from OR & CA, it looks like I'll be OK if I take I-5 down to 199 and then cut across to the coast towards Crescent City. After that, it should be pretty easy as it just gets warmer and drier the further south I get.

I can always stop at any point if needed, as I have plenty of time to get home. I'm sure it'll be fun either way.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Made it down to Ukiah tonight. Figured I could probably have made it through the I-5 passes (do they makes chains for the LT?), but taking 199 over to the coast avoided that mess and is great scenery besides. It was a little cold (low 40's), and a little wet, but not bad otherwise. So 500 more miles and 7-8 hours tomorrow and I'll be home.

Santa is definitely bringing me some heated gear though.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ride SAFE!

meese said:
Made it down to Ukiah tonight. Figured I could probably have made it through the I-5 passes (do they makes chains for the LT?), but taking 199 over to the coast avoided that mess and is great scenery besides. It was a little cold (low 40's), and a little wet, but not bad otherwise. So 500 more miles and 7-8 hours tomorrow and I'll be home.

Santa is definitely bringing me some heated gear though.
Meese,

Buddy, I cannot believe that you have not bitten the bullet and picked up some heated gear.
I know as a fact you have to learn it the hard way. Don't make my mistake and buy it a piece at a time. Believe me, you need it all when you need it.

I am listening to your trip and taking notes.

Continue to be safe and let us know if you need anything. I can always mount up a trailer and come find you.

We should have just traded bikes for a few months!

Best,

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
I know, time to just get all the heated gear and be done with it.

I woke up late in Ukiah and had a slow morning. By the time I got on the bike, it was almost 70 and sunny. It stayed like that all the way home, except for a 50 degree run down Highway 33 just as the sun was going down. Got to scrub the sides of the tires for a while though. :) Made it home just after dark, then headed into L.A. to see a friend's band play. Got home around 3 a.m., and was amazed to think that I'd woken up north of the Bay Area and done 500 miles that day.

Sorry we didn't catch up with more of the Seattle folks while I was up that way. I hope Ali is coming along, as I know how tough it is to be without a bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts