BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have this issue, but found this on another forum. I'm sure some of you guys have read it. This doesn't address the rear drive problem and I've not heard of many drive shaft failures, however a couple drive shaft failures I cam across on this forum seem to have occurred on bikes with about this much mileage.

"After reading about the drive shaft issues during the past year, especially the February Issue of BMWMOA, I'm thankful that I own the Concours. The article in a nut shell says that the driveshaft of Paralever design is a "consumable item" by BMWNA and should be replaced every 40,000 miles at a cost of $636. This problem is not remedied through regular maintenance. I believe that most models employ this design now and it could give out at any time around 40,000 ish. "

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
I agree that it is a consumable item in that there are no replacement U-joints available from BMW. There have been several re-built at specialty shops. I don't agree that is is a 40,000 mile replacement item.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I never replaced mine during 137,000 miles on my 2000 K1200LT. And I rode it like a sport bike every Sunday in Texas heat and every road surface imaginable. A few wheelies. Several drag races, clutchless shifts. At least half the mileage was 2 up. No trailer. Just lucky, I guess. I haven't heard from the buyer of 2 years ago.

I think some people take them apart and grease the splines. I never did. Oops...

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
OU812 said:
Must be your oil brand Tim. ;) :rotf:
Oh great; start another oil thread! :histerica

·
Banned
588 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Oh great; start another oil thread! :histerica
Not sure oil gets there, does it? How about a grease thread??? Anybody know of preventative maintenance on those parts? Anybody get those parts past the 137,000 miles I got with or without maintenance?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts