BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what do you guys wear for protective clothing in the summer heat?
I have a mesh Joe Rocket that i wear on my Gixxer but what are some of the things you guys are wearing on your LTs?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I Wear an Olympia Mesh Jacket

With the waterproof, insulated liner it is good at least yo the low 40s and I have had it up to about 90 in the sun with the liner out so far. Very comfortable.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
BMW Commuter II jacket with BMW StreetGuard pants. As the mercury rises, I put on my UnderArmor under garments for amazing comfort. 102° in Joshua Tree National Park was not an issue a few weeks ago with this gear.

I don't like mesh gear, just because I'm afraid it won't be there for me if/when I need it most.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, too, and it works well. No need to change yet. Bought a pair of Moose gloves, lightweight, may not be too good in a crash though. Minimal protection. I would wear the same thing no matter what bike. And non of my stuff is color coordinated to anything.

Helmet is blues/white, jacket is red, gloves are blue/white, bike is charcoal.

no fashion statement for me. I really do want some of those olympia pants that the legs zip off to make cargo shorts. BMW version is too much $$$ for me.

Randy

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wear Brosh gear, top and bottom for summer wear...had it for 2 summers now and am thankful every day the temp is over 75 degrees. They are a company out of Isreal and priced right. They use kevlar mesh and while I've never tested the duability of the material on a power slide, I figure they should know their business with heat and kevlar. http://www.brosh.com

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the tourmaster GX Air with Leather and really like it. It doenst flow as much air as the Joe Rocket Phoenix, but I think it will protect better if the unfortune happens.

For pants I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix over pant, which are very nice. Easy in and out and allow plenty are air the flow through. I also have a pair of the BMW Summer pants which are also very nice and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
You are going to sweat ...

I have tried a variety of gear in Florida and with our heat and humidity, there is nothing that will keep you cool when you have to stop in traffic and the heat coming off of the pavement is over 90 degrees. When it hits 100 it is HOT.. As long as I'm moving there really doesnt seem to be a difference in most summer gear. Under All Armor type t-shirts seem to help, but it is still hot except when moving. Sweat washes off, road rash don't! so I just sweat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hot weather protection??? I look forward to hot weather so I can take off my electric vest, take the liner out of my Darien jacket, turn off the heated grips and seat. I don't feel sorry for you guys at all!
Still waiting for the hot weather in Manitoba,
Wilson.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Teknic mesh jacket that saved my a$$ in a crash (the jacket survived and has a bit more character now). I also wear 1st gear mesh pants without the liner. I stay cool as a cucumber.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Buchnerb said:
With the waterproof, insulated liner it is good at least yo the low 40s and I have had it up to about 90 in the sun with the liner out so far. Very comfortable.

Bruce
Like Bruce, I also have his'n her Olympic Airglide suits, and concur with the Bruce's comments on it. Because I commute in the low 30's in winter, and want max visibility whenever it's not too hot to wear it, I also bought his'n her Olympic AST iridescent green jackets. We wear those jackets with electrics instead of it's normal liner jacket below 40-45 deg F, and with Olympic Ranger pants. I switch to the Airglides only when summer comes (the AST is not cool enough above 80 deg F, even with the vents open). We wear Draggin' kevlar-lined jeans when it's not raining, and the bottom half of the Airglide suit when it is, preferably without the jeans underneath. I also wear the bottom Airglide pants over my dress trousers when riding to work, so I can change out quicker when I get there. In summer, the ride home is hotter and I have more prep time, so I switch to the kevlar-lined jeans only, with the Airglide jacket. If you get the Draggin' jeans, I recommend you forget the add-on knee armor. Although I had some velcro sewn in to hold the armor in place, they are just too cumbersome and hot with the armor installed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wife beater T and whatever faded jeans are handy. Oh wait, that's my Harley outfit... :histerica Only kidding Harley owners - I know how sensitive you are about being profiled. Hell, I'd buy a 96 in. Road Glide if I had the $$$.

I wear a Tourmaster Intake mesh jacket. I like that it comes with a waterproof liner AND insulated liner. Kind of a pain to zip everything together but it works. I leave the liners home in the summer and carry a rain jacket to throw it on top if needed.

On the bottom, kevlar jeans. Have a pair of nylon overpants but they're not mesh and way too hot in the summer. Plan to get mesh pants for long/fast rides & wear over shorts.

Am looking for a used short / euro windshield to increase airflow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wear a Teknic mesh, don't know what model it is. Very comfy, air flows nice, drys quick if it get wet. Paid about $120 for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hot weather gear

Like most of you I have tried several products starting with an early BMW Airflow jacket and pants. Not much airflow or comfort. I have a couple of Joe Rocket mesh jackets, one partial leather the other all fabric. Usually worn with kevlar lined jeans. Good venting but the unknown that I hope remains unknown is the crash protection.

Last summer I went to a Vanson fully perforated leather jacket and pants. Great airflow in the jacket, less so in the pants but much better than traditional leathers and probably some of the best protection abailable. Pricey to say the least, but most things in life are trade off.
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hot Weather Gear

We are just now getting some hot days here in the great white north. I was considering the Olympia mesh jacket, but I bought the BMW Comfort Shell for my wife and myself, and I am looking forward to trying it out. I am told it has a high tech fabric that reacts to heat and cold like a pine cone does, opening and closing as needed. It is also supposed to be waterproof and wind proof, and eliminates the need to take a liner in and out with changing conditions. Truly a one jacket does all, if it works as advertised. I will let you know what we think after some hot rides, but they feel good with the temperature around 20C (68F).

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Hot weather gear

I have Rev'it! mesh jacket and pants. Good price on good quality fit and function. It's great when moving or standing still for a red light duration. It's the helmet (Shoei Multitec) that gets me during the stops even though I can feel air flow while moving. I have steaming issues with goggles for skiing and swimming, so the helmet doesn't surprise me.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Summer gear

I wear Hood denim K7 Jacket and jeans with kevlar type liner,they work well for me. Avalilible from the UK.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Dennis,

My local dealer (Carolina BMW) let me test a few of his jackets. I certainly don't want to call my test rides the definitive jacket comparison. But after riding with them I decided on the BMW "Venting Machine" made by BMW Motorrad.

While the jacket offers excellent riding protection, this is not an all weather jacket. Its black, trimmed with silver, so standing still in the sun gets warm. Also, it doesn't come with a liner, but no problem, I have warm leathers and rain suits. It's expensive even with my dealer's 30% off sale.

The jacket's main virtue is that riding with it is like riding behind a screen door!

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ride year around; that includes triple digits in Arizona. I wear a Joe Rocket "Phoenix" jacket with a cool vest underneath. In extreme heat, this works for about 50 miles. I stop, put my cool vest in a large zip lock baggie, pour water in and re-hydrate the vest; 50 more miles. It works very well...

·
Registered
31 Posts
cfmpilot said:
I ride year around; that includes triple digits in Arizona. I wear a Joe Rocket "Phoenix" jacket with a cool vest underneath. In extreme heat, this works for about 50 miles. I stop, put my cool vest in a large zip lock baggie, pour water in and re-hydrate the vest; 50 more miles. It works very well...
I live in AZ, too, where does one obtain this "cool vest"? I need one "stat". Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts