BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting hot outside. I am in the market for new (cooler) riding pants. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
It's getting hot outside. I am in the market for new (cooler) riding pants. Any suggestions?
Mesh in a light color such as gray.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll get a lot of flac for this, but do as the Floridians do. (yes i know, totally unsafe, so no lectures please) T-shirt, shorts and shoes lol. Of course i'm a 35 year Harley rider turned to BMW, so Habits are hard to change.

Reactions: Notahog

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mesh gloves, jacket and pants and, for really hot days, I have a Bilt Cool vest that you soak in water and keeps me cool for hours. It helped me on my 48 state tour last month when I was in the south.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I found a great pair of old BMW Venting machine pants that have become my favorite hot weather pants. They are black, and yet lots of venting. I think they were made just before the Airflow series, but I'm happy with it. Add to that my airflow jacket. I wear wicking undergarments and it works for me. Anything over 85, it's just plain no fun in my opinion no matter what you have on.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
I'll get a lot of flac for this, but do as the Floridians do. (yes i know, totally unsafe, so no lectures please) T-shirt, shorts and shoes lol. Of course i'm a 35 year Harley rider turned to BMW, so Habits are hard to change.
Everyone should do what they are comfortable with, however, shorts and t-shirts are not only a bad choice for crash protection they are a bad choice for handling hot weather. Look to the bedouins who figured this out long ago.

https://www.thelostadventure.com/beat-the-heat-while-motorcycle-touring-this-summer

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
71 Posts
where do you purchase mesh gloves from. With they work with touch screen devices as well. I am heading out to San Antonio and then to California and so far it's going to be hot in the day and cool at night.

·
Registered
186 Posts
where do you purchase mesh gloves from. With they work with touch screen devices as well. I am heading out to San Antonio and then to California and so far it's going to be hot in the day and cool at night.
Most motorcycle stores have mesh gloves. I wanted light colored mesh gloves and found some at Cycle Gear for about $10. Fly sells inexpensive mesh gloves with a bit of finger protection.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-kids-free-flow-gloves

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I'm with Voyager on this one... I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter hi-viz R3 suit all the time. In lower humidity regions and hotter weather (over 85F), I may wear a Colorado Cool Vest, but for longer distances (without pillion), use a Veskimo cooling system.

I did see a HD rider pull up to Starbucks in his faux helmet, t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops - the guy looked real cool...:eek2:

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
739 Posts
A few years ago, I went for a ride with a friend. I had on a mesh jacket and he was wearing a short sleeve polo shirt. His arms were burning from the sun and his black helmet was cooking his head. Summer is light colored (sandstone) mesh gear for me - I need light colored mesh gloves this year. Mesh allows airflow in to keep you cool and blocks the sun from burning your skin. A white or light colored helmet is a must as well. There is a youtube video showing the difference between black and white helmets in the sun and the difference is huge. The secret is a Chili Dana - a Frogg Togg bandana soaked in water and worn under the white helmet. This alone lowers my felt temperature by 15-20 degrees. If the bandana gets dry, I just soak it again and put it on.

To get my riding time in, I pretty much ride from 35F degrees on up with many days riding in 100+F degrees. When it is around 100 and you are sitting at a light or in traffic, it is hot, no matter what. Once moving, the airflow on the mesh and other things makes the riding bearable and even enjoyable.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Went down at about 40 mph once wearing jeans and a mesh jacket. My legs looked like they went through a cheese grater and the jeans were toast. The jacket was destroyed too, but the only damage on the upper half of my body was a small spot about the size of a dime on my left elbow where the elbow armor slid over. Thanks, but I'll keep wearing gear or take the care if it's that hot.

As for riding without gear being cooler than riding in gear, I'd say either it's all in your head, or your buying the wrong gear.

Personally, I have a Tourmaster Air Intake 3.0 jacket and pants that I wear in the summer. I've been up to 115 in them and the temp was tolerable. I won't say it was cool, I don't think that's possible without air conditioning at those temps, maybe not even with, but I wasn't dying, just hot. Yeah, it can get sweltering if I get stuck in traffic and there's no air, so I either ride where there's no traffic, or again, I take the car.

As for dark helmets, all of mine are black. Probably cooler if I could find a lighter color, but I can't seem to find a white helmet and I'm just not into the neon color thing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In summer, I fit a smaller widscreen. It takes 5 mn to swap and I think it helps a lot whatever suit you wear.

In september I fit the larger one for the rest of the year.

Bruno

·
Registered
207 Posts
I must elaborate on my post about t-shirt and shorts etc. I do this only when cruising the local beaches or just riding around town. For longer trips (as last August to Ma) i will wear a good pair of Jeans, long sleeves gloves and premium Helmet. I'm not that stupid lol. I'm firm believer in proper safety equipment on a motorcycle, but for putting around, i just never bother. Taking a chance, but hell, i made it this far (67) after over 45 years of riding with the same philosophy. Even gone down a couple times. Bad scratches and bruises, but got right back up and kept going.

Reactions: Mr BMVOO

·
Registered
739 Posts
I invite you to give the Frogg Togg Chilly Dana a try and let us know how it helps you. I believe it is the best $10 item available to keep cooler. Last year, I was on the road going south to Dallas. Day started out nice but got hotter as kept going. Finally, I was really feeling the heat and pulled off the freeway to put on the cooling bandana and was feeling great again within minutes. When stopping for gas, just add water and squeeze out the excess water and put the bandana back on. The cooling beads and entire system works really well. It is significantly thicker than a normal bandana though.

As a side note, I was in a Sam's Club parking lot in Oklahoma. I say hello to a person, as is common there, and she says hello. Then, she tells me I look like an astronaut! LOL I had never thought about it. In the white helmet and light colored jacket/pants with airflow black boots, I guess I do look somewhat like an astronaut. But, I keep way cooler in the summer months.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As a side note, I was in a Sam's Club parking lot in Oklahoma. I say hello to a person, as is common there, and she says hello. Then, she tells me I look like an astronaut! LOL I had never thought about it. In the white helmet and light colored jacket/pants with airflow black boots, I guess I do look somewhat like an astronaut. But, I keep way cooler in the summer months.
On my 48 state tour, I wore a silver mesh Joe Rocket jacket, silver Shark Evo 3 helmet, and grey armored Icon riding jeans with grey high top shoes. Talk about looking like an astronaut!!

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
On my 48 state tour, I wore a silver mesh Joe Rocket jacket, silver Shark Evo 3 helmet, and grey armored Icon riding jeans with grey high top shoes. Talk about looking like an astronaut!!
That's what happens when you have, or are at least wearing, the right stuff!

Reactions: Mark65

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
I invite you to give the Frogg Togg Chilly Dana a try and let us know how it helps you. I believe it is the best $10 item available to keep cooler. Last year, I was on the road going south to Dallas. Day started out nice but got hotter as kept going. Finally, I was really feeling the heat and pulled off the freeway to put on the cooling bandana and was feeling great again within minutes. When stopping for gas, just add water and squeeze out the excess water and put the bandana back on. The cooling beads and entire system works really well. It is significantly thicker than a normal bandana though.

That is better than what most of the public thinks about riders who go by wearing no helmet, a t-shirt, shorts, bare hands and sneakers. :smile:

·
Cat Herder
1,540 Posts
Riding out here in the desert, you have to remember to hydrate hydrate hydrate... If I am on a trip in or out of Las Vegas, I usually wear gym shorts and a long sleeve shirt under my Aerostitch suit. I will wet the shirt or put on my cooling vest and sweat. It may be uncomfortable while I am stopped but it will freeze me out while moving. I drink from my camel back water bladder as I ride to stay hydrated and sweat if possible.

Sweating is very important to stay cool. Keeping all of your skin covered from the sun and hot air is very important.

NOTE: A few years back I needed to get home and it was 115 in the Virgin River Gorge on I-15 in Utah.
I stopped in Mesquite at the border in Nevada and there were two Harley guys in shorts and t-sleeves that were heading to LV as well. I was bundled up in my Aerostitch and we took off. Running around 90MHP I could see that the skin on one of the other riders was turning bright red and was probably getting second degree burns from the hot air.

The heat that was radiating from my face shield was so hot I could feel it burning my face. I could not imaging how incredibly hot it would be to bare skin...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Riding out here in the desert, you have to remember to hydrate hydrate hydrate... If I am on a trip in or out of Las Vegas, I usually wear gym shorts and a long sleeve shirt under my Aerostitch suit. I will wet the shirt or put on my cooling vest and sweat. It may be uncomfortable while I am stopped but it will freeze me out while moving. I drink from my camel back water bladder as I ride to stay hydrated and sweat if possible.

Sweating is very important to stay cool. Keeping all of your skin covered from the sun and hot air is very important.

NOTE: A few years back I needed to get home and it was 115 in the Virgin River Gorge on I-15 in Utah.
I stopped in Mesquite at the border in Nevada and there were two Harley guys in shorts and t-sleeves that were heading to LV as well. I was bundled up in my Aerostitch and we took off. Running around 90MHP I could see that the skin on one of the other riders was turning bright red and was probably getting second degree burns from the hot air.

The heat that was radiating from my face shield was so hot I could feel it burning my face. I could not imaging how incredibly hot it would be to bare skin...
Yeah, but, it is a dry heat, right? : )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts