BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings, I’ve never read such a strongly controversial, biased issue as the Avon Tire issue. I’m going to ride coast to coast for a charity ride for the Heart of Georgia United Way, the last week of April. It’s a big deal here. News paper and TV coverage. “They are really impressed that BMW makes a motorcycle. I’m going to attempt the trip in 4 days. All proceeds will help a depressed region of the state. It will be tracked everyday online, and the newspaper. The more miles I make, the more the town will benefit.

The bike must be good. I’m going to change all the fluids and tires. I want to try the Avon’s, but you guys are scarring the hell out of me. I’ve read for hours about it and still don’t have a clear picture. Heck, I can’t even find a place to buy the correct version. I’ve always trusted your opinion, but this time it’s not clear. Thanks, Dale
PS. Any other tips about making it successfully appreciated.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Just my opinion but I would stick with the brand of tire you are now using for this trip & try the Avon the next time. You are use to the way your tires handle & ware. I like you have heard mixed reviews on the Avons. I just put another set of Metz on my bike. Sure they slip a lil in wet but I like the miles I get out of them.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
For this trip, I agree with Steve and stay with what you've been riding on. Go to the Avons when you're not working on a benefit ride and being followed by the local news.

When you get ready to try the Avons, Southwest Moto Tire has them in stock under the Storm 2 brand. The front tire is weight rated correctly and has a W instead of the V speed rating than the BMW spec calls for. The rear tire is spec'ed correctly at 79V.

I forgot to mention, I've run the Storms in the past and have been more than pleased with them. When this set of Bridgestones go away, I will be going back to them.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I put my first set on last spring, then took off for a 3,500 mile 6 day ride. No problems at all. Yes, they felt a little different, seemed to track ruts just a tad more than the Metz, make a little more noise than the Metz, but it doesn't inhibit the bike at all. If you're comfortable with your bike, either tire will be just fine. And it looks like the Avons are giving me about 1,000 miles more wear than the Metz - which seems about as important as the noise they make (none).
Hope that helps a little.
Frank

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've run only Metz for 5 yrs on two bikes. My tire guy suggested the Brigestones because of price. I decided to try them and I'm very impressed. Can't say what the total mileage will be but if I get anything close to the mileage I get with the Metz (and that shouldn't be hard to beat) I'll be a happy camper.

I wouldn't hesitate at all on getting the Stones...and it'll save some bucks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My wife says if the Avon sticks like glue , she doesnt care what kind of milage it gets.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't know what tires you have been using, but I agree with the other posts on sticking with what you know and try Avons later. You will most likely get the most mileage out of Metz.

I currently have an Avon rear and Metz front, no problems at all.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice.

My wife typed this in for me. "Shes' not crazy about this ride. We usually ride 2 up, but its not possible for this trip. It was supposed to be a serious post. I apologize for the title.

She also reads some of the posts here. "strange"

dale

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Dale;

I agree with the Metzler 880 Marathon for your expedition. Best mileage and safe. Chances are you'll be pretty close to ready on the rear by the time you get back to Georgia anyway.

B-Safe Jim

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I had all three brands on my LT.

I ended up liking the Metzelers in the end. Best mileage (when inflated HIGH!!!), and great grip. People claim they aren't as good in the wet ... I think it was more that they "thought" they weren't as good after reading the claims in here. The mind is a terrible thing to waste. :D FYI: I kept mine inflated to 51psi rear, 48psi front. :eek: Over 15K was typical for the rear, 20K for the front.

Avons were the better dry performer, but not good for mileage. Due to the more radical "point" on the front tire, it wore a flat spot quickly when super-slabbing. :eek:

And Bridgestones? After one DE-laminated on me, I swore them off forever. :mad: (Had to ride 110 miles @ 50mph to find a dealer for a replacement ... in the middle of Minnesota somewhere.) The front 'Stone tracks road grooves too much for my liking too. Not a good choice, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
Coast to coast in 4 days isn't too bad, but you also need to go back home, and that is another 2,800 miles. If super slabbing then I would suggest the Metzeler as they will go the distance and fare well re. flat spot.
You can tell your wife that the title of this thread is adequate since we are talking "rubber" here! :D
Have a safe ride!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You will wish you had the Avon 2 storms when you are loaded up riding in a rain storm. If you need a new set before you make your trip go for it. I have always used Michelin as they are supreme but not for these big bikes. Either choice, Ride safe and have a great trip, Have fun, enjoy the sceenery, roads, and company. Don :wave

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have put about 3,000 miles on Metz since last Spring. Not like you will in one ride, but I am having lots of fun anyway.

Last March, my wife and I road through a particularly wild thunderstorm in the hills outside Hot Springs, Ar. as always two-up and had nary a problem.

Same thing last Sunday from Waukesha, Wi. to Mukwanago and back in the rain. (Its a lot colder in Wisconsin than Arkansas.) But uphill, downhill, flat, it held curves at fine and I was going at near sunshine speeds. They are a bit noisy, but otherwise, good tires in the rain.

Fog Toks kept us dry, and my Air Tech Gore-Tex XCR boots kept my feet dry, if not warm. I do need better gloves for the rain though.

Bill

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
And Bridgestones? After one DE-laminated on me, I swore them off forever. :mad: . Not a good choice, IMO.
Same thing. Same thing happened to me (John Prine) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts