BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting to be heated grip & seat weather. I've gotta question regarding the seat heat switches.

The Rider's manual says the forward position (A) on the toggle is "Continuous heating" and the rear position (C) is "Rapid heating, then switch to position A or B". I've never understood just what this means. What happens if you leave the switch in position C? Will this cause the seat to overheat? Will it just become "continuous heating" as in position A? If so, why would the manual say to switch it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cannot imagine that the seat would overheat. I have left mine on pretty long. It just gets very hot and the natural inclination is to move the switch to the forward position after that just to maintain a nice level of heat

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Just two different heat levels. My wife likes the Hottest one all the time during cold weather. Both seats (and backrest) are fed from a single 15 amp fuse so there is not a lot of power being consumed as the total for all three is less than 180 watts.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Whatever position they are in I think the switchces are cheap and inferior.
Mine have worked fine for 9 years. Nothing on a BMW is cheap. And I question your inferior claim. These switches are one of the few things not discussed here as a problem component.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whatever position they are in I think the switchces are cheap and inferior.
After careful consideration I think you are talking bollocks.
They are standard 3 position switches (Off,Low,High)

My user manual indicates that the High position should only be used for a short time since the power requirement is a stretching the alternator's capacity and could eventually lead to a flat battery.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
After careful consideration I think you are talking bollocks.
They are standard 3 position switches (Off,Low,High)

My user manual indicates that the High position should only be used for a short time since the power requirement is a stretching the alternator's capacity and could eventually lead to a flat battery.
I understood that when the bike is running the alternator is more than capable in providing enough power. I have never had a problem in that sense.

You are entiltled to your opinion. Mine is that the switches could be of a higher quality and possibly easier to switch from off to on.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I understood that when the bike is running the alternator is more than capable in providing enough power. I have never had a problem in that sense.

You are entiltled to your opinion. Mine is that the switches could be of a higher quality and possibly easier to switch from off to on.

We certainly are all entitled to our opinions.

I find the LT seat heater switches easy to use, even with gloves on. And mine have worked fine for nine years through rain and road dust so I can't complain about the quality. I prefer them to the K1600 whiz wheel which takes much longer to change the setting than just reaching down and toggling a switch. Sometimes simple really is better.

Reactions: JaL3_SD

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
"I prefer them to the K1600 whiz wheel which takes much longer to change the setting than just reaching down and toggling a switch. Sometimes simple really is better".

That is something we both agree on.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I don't understand why it is on the throttle side.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Reactions: Mark65

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My wife uses hers quite a bit during the riding season. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bimbler -
I hadn't considered that, but I think you might be right and it makes sense. The manual does caution to use heat only when "really required" because the increased power consumption could cause a negative charge condition at low engine speeds. I assume the seats would draw much more current than the grips so the switch may have been designed low-off-high to make inadvertently leaving in the high position less likely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts