BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is not about the "brake squeal". It's about the rear rotor getting too hot to touch and the rear wheel "soaks up this heat too". Did the search on this issue but here is where my story might be a little different.
As I spin the rear wheel with the bike on the center stand, the wheel rotates freely for about 80% of the rotation with only a slight "grind" of brake pad. But, then it "grabs" with a louder and harsher "grind".
I suspect a warped rotor is the problem. I pulled the caliper off and things look normal. Also placed a screwdriver up close to the rotor as I spun the wheel to see if I could see any warping in the rotor. Hard to tell in the dark since my garage has such poor lighting so I'll try that again tomorrow after work.
Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks, Doug

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Doug,

That's what it sounds like. If you want, bring it on down to Hazel Green and I'll stick a dial indicator on it to confirm.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My rear tire, wheel, and the whole assy get hot from engine heat conducted rearward.
The brake draging a tad does not generate the heat that you feel. Did you measure the thickness, if you think is warped Mine is at min thickness after 40K, but I will keep using it as is.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. Dealer just replaced it under warranty. Made a horrendous noise while pushing it out of the garage. You might be stuck buying a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts