BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are on our first long trip (Michigan to Montana) and my SO is experiancing a ton of heat on her lower legs.

I have tried to adjust the little fairings, but so far no luck.

Anyone out there had this problem? Got any ideas to fix it?

We hav ea long way to go and it isn't going to get any cooler.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
No! But if it is buttocks and thigh heat then check the seat heater!!! Had this hapen on a 100* plus day! ONCE!

When we ride with the sidecar attached the radiator heat comes out of the air chutes on the side and bounces back into us on the right hand side. Pretty warm.

Left side only might be exhaust heat?

You might want to consider a pair of cooling vests that you dip in water and let the evaporating water cool your body temp. Won't help with the legs but will improve overall comfort.

Good luck! I am an ardent hater of heat so I understand.

Loren

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Don't wear shorts. We wear our gear even in 100 degree plus.
Seriously cover up, even the Arabs do that in the desert. It keeps the hot wind off the skin.

·
Registered
322 Posts
wa1200lt said:
No! But if it is buttocks and thigh heat then check the seat heater!!! Had this hapen on a 100* plus day! ONCE!
:rotf: One of my co-workers just bought an LT and picked it up Wednesday afternoon (7/21). As he was on his 40+ mile ride home from the dealership he noticed the bike ran "Real Hot". Yep ..... seat heater was on and it was a 90 degree day.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
hkeithmurray said:
We are on our first long trip (Michigan to Montana) and my SO is experiancing a ton of heat on her lower legs.

I have tried to adjust the little fairings, but so far no luck.

Anyone out there had this problem? Got any ideas to fix it?

We hav ea long way to go and it isn't going to get any cooler.

Thanks,
As others have said, check the seat heater. My LT runs very cool for both me and my wife. This is the first time I have heard of a passenger heat issue with an LT so something is unusual about your bike.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You're not throwing your legs out on the tip over bars or J-pegs are you? That will throw hot air off the radiator on her.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I tell my wife she has hot legs all the time!!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When my wife tells me she's hot, I just say " Yes you are" and we move on....

Seriously, This should not be an issue with the LT. Turn off the seat heater..I believe the center position is off..

You do need to be wearing pants, Hopefully mesh in the summer heat...

In the summer I always turned the winglets flat against the bike for the most air..

John

·
Registered
321 Posts
My SO complains about the heat if I have the winglets turned all the way in. So I get more air but then I start getting heat from the back seat. I leave them turned out unless I have my feet on the J-pegs. She has no heat problem if my feet are up.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
2Wheelroadtrip said:
My SO complains about the heat if I have the winglets turned all the way in. So I get more air but then I start getting heat from the back seat. I leave them turned out unless I have my feet on the J-pegs. She has no heat problem if my feet are up.
That is interesting. I have never experimented with the wings in warm weather. I always leave them "closed" (parallel to the bike) when temps are above about 60. I would have thought having them open" (perpendicular to the bike) would have out more heat on the passenger, but maybe not. Interesting.

I don't use Jpegs or anything other than the stock pegs. I can ride all day on the stock pegs. With the wings closed and my feet on the stock pegs, my wife has never complained about heat on her legs. The only time she complained about heat was two weeks ago we road across Mass on route 2. The temps ranged drom 97 to 99 on the temp display WHILE MOVING! We were all pretty hot and the temp would go up to 104 when stopped at lights. However, even with our FF helmets and BMW armored COmmuter 3 jackets, we were, I think, still much more comfortable than our friends riding their air cooled (and even water cooled) cruisers. That must have been just nasty at lights on those Harleys.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We (wife and me) just returned from a 1000km round trip over the weekend, where we rode in 98 to 100F in the afternoon (while moving at highway speed...!)

She didn't complain of the heat, but as other mentioned, too, we always wear full gear. I tried only once to ride without a full gear and felt much warmer. Also, the winglets offer more comfort when they're open (blocking the airflow) because you don't want to get that 100F hairdryer flow against your body :-(

I noticed the heat from the radiator, but you only feel it if you stick your body out against it (hand or leg). It doesn't seem to be related to the winglets' position as they are in a higher position.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Corrado68 said:
We (wife and me) just returned from a 1000km round trip over the weekend, where we rode in 98 to 100F in the afternoon (while moving at highway speed...!)

She didn't complain of the heat, but as other mentioned, too, we always wear full gear. I tried only once to ride without a full gear and felt much warmer. Also, the winglets offer more comfort when they're open (blocking the airflow) because you don't want to get that 100F hairdryer flow against your body :-(

I noticed the heat from the radiator, but you only feel it if you stick your body out against it (hand or leg). It doesn't seem to be related to the winglets' position as they are in a higher position.
Well, I actually DO want the 100 degree moving air. That is only 1.4 degrees or so above body temp and with the heat lost through evaporation, the extra evaporative cooling caused by the moving air (even at 100F) more than offsets the fact that the air is warmer than your body. This assumes well vented gear (the BMW Commuter 3 jackets have decent ventilation) and good hydration. Given that, yes, I will take the breeze even at 100. I would much prefer 75 though...

Now, if you are wearing gear that doesn't allow much evaporation, I agree that a 100F breeze would not be a good thing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Voyager said:
.... The only time she complained about heat was two weeks ago we road across Mass on route 2. The temps ranged drom 97 to 99 on the temp display WHILE MOVING!
Was that the monday after the 4th of July? We were visiting friends in Canton PA and rode Rt. 2 that day on our way home. We had our mesh gear on with under-armor underneath. We stopped about every hour and poured water on the under-armor, that kept us fairly comfortable.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
Was that the monday after the 4th of July? We were visiting friends in Canton PA and rode Rt. 2 that day on our way home. We had our mesh gear on with under-armor underneath. We stopped about every hour and poured water on the under-armor, that kept us fairly comfortable.
Yes, it was WEdnesday, July 7th. We left that morning from Horseheads headed to Bar Harbor. Canton, PA, huh? My daughter lives near there and I live only about 30 miles from there. Small world.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, just to clarify...

The seat was off.
The wings were adjusted every way imaginable - no improvement.
Tried adjusting the windscreen every way also - no improvement.
We both had full gear on.
The temps ranged from 84 - 97 (across the badlands).

When we ride the bike, the hot air comes out of the vents and seems like we have a bubble of hot air around us that will not clear out?

So today it was 96 in Deadwood and the "Appalachian Engineer" in me came out and thought I have to do something about this so...

I cut out cardboard extensions and duct taped them to the cooling outlets, to extend the surface area of the fairing. This showed an immediate improvement, but not perfect. Tomorrow I plan to modify the wings a little more and hope this helps more.

We leave for Laramie, WY tomorrow and then on to Tulsa, OK (where it is really hot!) I will keep you posted on the results.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The wife and I just got back from a 10,000 km trip across Canada and back through the US. We experienced some heat, mostly when we were stuck at road construction and such. If you can stay moving at 75+ mph you should have little problem:)

Enjoy your trip....We did.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Newf said:
The wife and I just got back from a 10,000 km trip across Canada and back through the US. We experienced some heat, mostly when we were stuck at road construction and such. If you can stay moving at 75+ mph you should have little problem:)

Enjoy your trip....We did.
How do you see anything at 75 mph?

We like to take the backroads and see the country on vacations... I see enough Interstate traffic going back and forth to work everyday.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
hkeithmurray said:

We like to take the backroads and see the country on vacations...
I see enough Interstate traffic going back and forth to work everyday.
Thank you Keith,
my sentiments exactly.

I know some of y'all don't have a choice but as for myself,
I learned a long time ago that here's a time and place for everything,
but depending upon the place,
summer is not necessarily the right time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
hkeithmurray said:

We like to take the backroads and see the country on vacations... I see enough Interstate traffic going back and forth to work everyday.

We had 3 weeks. Spent 7 days and nights in Vancouver. I was surprized at how much you see at that speed. Every time we stopped people would come up talk to us and tell us about places around that we did get to visit when we had time. The LT is a magnet where ever you stop. Hard to believe that it has been around for 11 years and still draws that attention. I love this bike and from what I read the 1600 GTL does not look like the replacement we were hoping for.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts