BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a friend's 2002 K1200LT that would not start. I discovered that the alarm system went bad and it shorted some of the wiring in the relay box under the tank and kept blowing the fuse associated with the horn. I removed the alarm module and made the jumpers based upon what I found on the forum on the 12 pin connector under the trunk hatch box and she finally runs. Now I am having trouble with the horn. I am not sure if the horn problem existed prior to the no start. Initially if I press the horn button, it blows just fine. If I press it 3 or 4 more times, it will not blow. I disassembled the horn switch and tried shorting the two wires to see if the horn will just blow and blow. Unfortunately nothing happens. I attached a multi-meter on across the two wires and I didn't get any ohm reading when i press the horn switch with the power off. Could I have a faulty switch or is there something else that I need to look at? It looks as though the switch could be failing intermittently. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Darryl

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The problem is fixed. I did not seat the horn relay in the socket properly when I rewired the melted wires. Once the relay was inserted properly, the horn blows strong and loudly!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Very Horny indeed :eek:)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Glad you found the issue but it bothers me that there was melted wires. Usually when the alarm goes bad it just blows the fuse which is a 15 amp so the wires should have been protected. Maybe the owner tried a bigger fuse before he brought you the bike?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts