BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished stripping my '03 LT down and installed the new style throttle cables. Geez, what a difference! Feels like a light bike now. No kidding. :eek:

I put 17,000 miles on this machine since I bought it in April 2007, stiff throttle is all I knew. It was okay, the throttle boss and cruise control helped, but after developing persistent pain in my right hand I decided to go for the upgrade. I spent a few hours researching here and ordered the suckers. Two cables and the repair kit cost under $150.

I stripped the bike down, changed them out, and changed the filters, fluids and plugs while she was nekkid. Found it was real easy when installing the throttle ends first then working my way to the handle bar end of the deal. And I didn't have to remove the fuel rail or air box to git 'er done.

I thought cutting the "Brown Wire" was a big difference, but this is just sick! Glad I installed that back rest a couple of months ago.

This is a must do pre-2005 owners, a must do!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Did the same on my '01. Huge difference, and unlike what the manual says, I didn't have to remove the fuel rail either.

My wife is into beading, and has some long hemostats (fer those of you in the hills, thems' like long nosed pliers fer docters) - snaked the cabled right in.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
My Mrs used to like how the bike rolled on the power "Nice and slow" - not once I had changed the cables!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cables?

I'm surprised to hear cables make such a difference. I bought my '03 last November in NC and rode her back to Texas(1400 mi). If I hadn't had cruise control, my wrist would have been in bad shape. Tough twist grip on this thing! I followed advice from a thread I found here and wrapped the grips in a gel-filled tennis racket handle wrap. Made a BIG difference. The grips are smaller in diameter than any I am used to. Causes the old arthritus to kick in. The addititional size helps in leverage, I think.

·
Registered
457 Posts
reggosnell said:
I'm surprised to hear cables make such a difference. I bought my '03 last November in NC and rode her back to Texas(1400 mi). If I hadn't had cruise control, my wrist would have been in bad shape. Tough twist grip on this thing! I followed advice from a thread I found here and wrapped the grips in a gel-filled tennis racket handle wrap. Made a BIG difference. The grips are smaller in diameter than any I am used to. Causes the old arthritus to kick in. The addititional size helps in leverage, I think.
I did the same thing...Wilson handlegrips :histerica . I figured it was good enough for now. Is there no way to lube the throttle cables or is it just easier to replace them?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Replace them - you won't regret it.
Remember you need to cut a small hole in the lower handlebat fairing to route them right (or buy the 05 fairing bit)

·
Registered
76 Posts
OR Save yourself $150

Following the advice of another BMWLT member I disconnected 1 of the 3 return springs at the throttle body intake. This has the same effect and the original cable has got to last longer. Also apply a lot of lubricant to the 90 degree turn under the grip just before the inner cable enters the outer. Check to make sure the throttle closes all the way before replacing the tupperware. It works.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
suzbmwhnd said:
Following the advice of another BMWLT member I disconnected 1 of the 3 return springs at the throttle body intake. This has the same effect and the original cable has got to last longer. Also apply a lot of lubricant to the 90 degree turn under the grip just before the inner cable enters the outer. Check to make sure the throttle closes all the way before replacing the tupperware. It works.
Hmmmmm
Not too sure about disconnected return springs. The problem is with stiff cables, so I would have thought they would eventually get stuck - not nice

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's a lot of work, but you guys are missing out on some real fun if you don't install the upgraded cables. If I were BMW I would do it on everyone of them for free - gain customers for life.

I swear, the thing zips like a Hayabusa now! Don't cheat yourself... change 'em.

I beat that horse to death so I'll shut up. But the difference is just NUTS! Shut up Ed.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
Ed what is the cable kit you used, or better yet we can I buy them? I would like to upgrade mine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the BMW part numbers for the stuff you need. FYI, there was another set of cables that came out in 2003 to address the issue (it used the existing throttle grip cable guides). You DO NOT want these. Get the P/N's below for the 2005 style cables and kit. You MUST buy all three parts, prices are approximate. I ordered mine through Gulf Coast BMW in Houston.

Throttle Close Cable: #32737694490 ($45)
Throttle Open Cable: #32737694491 ($59)
Repair Kit: #32727691990 ($26) (You MUST buy this repair kit because it allows new style cables to connect to throttle grip)

Lots of good instructions on the forum, just seach "throttle cable replacement" and you can research for hours. You'll find instructions, tips, pics and bulletins.

And here's a tip from me: The new cables exit the throttle in big sweeping-radius guide tubes. This drops the cables an inch or two below the grip. This necessitates making an opening in the bottom plastic handlebar cover so the new cables can enter there. BMW sells a new plastic cover but, and here's the tip, you can cut the access hole yourself with a Dremell tool and save your money. Instructions for making that hole are in BMWLT somewhere. Good luck to you.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
Thanks for the informaton I need something to do to pass the time durring the winter.

big_ed said:
Here are the BMW part numbers for the stuff you need. FYI, there was another set of cables that came out in 2003 to address the issue (it used the existing throttle grip cable guides). You DO NOT want these. Get the P/N's below for the 2005 style cables and kit. You MUST buy all three parts, prices are approximate. I ordered mine through Gulf Coast BMW in Houston.

Repair Kit: #32727691990 ($26) (You MUST buy this repair kit because it allows new style cables to connect to throttle grip)

Lots of good instructions on the forum, just seach "throttle cable replacement" and you can research for hours. You'll find instructions, tips, pics and bulletins.

And here's a tip from me: The new cables exit the throttle in big sweeping-radius guide tubes. This drops the cables an inch or two below the grip. This necessitates making an opening in the bottom plastic handlebar cover so the new cables can enter there. BMW sells a new plastic cover but, and here's the tip, you can cut the access hole yourself with a Dremell tool and save your money. Instructions for making that hole are in BMWLT somewhere. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Replace them before they break

I had heard stories about the old style cables (pre- '04 or '05?) being stiff, and breaking.

I changed mine, just by shear LUCK and coincidence. I was doing the 24K maintenance, and just was ready to start putting tupperware back on. A little voice in the back of my head said, "Check to make sure she'll start, before you put all that plastic back on!" For once I listened to that little voice.

Started her up, and she idled just fine. Gave her a little goose on the throttle, and SNAP!

All I had to do at that point was take off the air box. Manual says take off fuel rail, but I was able to use hemostats to snake new cable in place. Man what a difference the new ones make.

As a bonus, I wasn't stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Me too

Did mine on my 02 in 06
and WOW !!!!!!
Like a new bike :)
Anyone without a 05 or newer do this upgrade !!!! :dance:

·
Registered
225 Posts
big_ed said:

Are these numbers good for a 2000 LT also? I'd love to do this prior to BIke Week. I'll see if I can work in the time. What do you guys think, 4-6hrs?
Thanks,
Hip

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was really interested in the LT when it was first introduced. I demo'd the bike at the Honda Hoot in Asheville that year. I'm not sure the dealers had them yet. After the ride, the BMW guy asked what I thought of the LT. The first comment out of my mouth was that it had the stiffest throttle of any bike I had ever ridden. I eventually bought a used '99 and while it is a great bike, the throttle was always tough.

I installed the new style cables on my '99 about two weeks ago. Bought them from my local dealer, Touring Sport BMW. The parts manager made sure to mention that the bar cover had been changed; he said, "I could sell you a new bar cover, but you could just cut a hole in the old one." Of course, I had read that on the site already but that's great service. I had looked at photos of the new style bar cover but while I was at the dealership I examined a new LT on the floor to make sure I knew where to carve the hole with my Dremel tool.

My friends in the North (North Carolina, that is, but we generally don't hold that against them) helped with the installation. Like others have said, we did not remove the fuel rail. Took a little monkeying around with needlenose pliers and a hemostat to coax the circlip off the end of the top cable. Once that was done, the rest of it went pretty smoothly. We did not disconnect the throttle return springs. We did find lots of crud on the end of my bar that was binding the grip somewhat; we cleaned it up and squirted in some WD-40, which smoothed it up.

The trip back home was primarily Interstate; I noticed a difference in the throttle but with holding speeds pretty constant I didn't have much chance to appreciate the difference.

I rode the bike to work today and took back roads. It really made the bike much easier to ride. Maybe now my cruise control will get a break. Looking forward to more riding in the Spring. I'm pretending it's a 2005 model now.

It's been my observation that mods and farkels that cost about a hundred bucks seem to be the ones I really enjoy. So far that category includes HID low beam, LED saddlebag light conversion, and new throttle cables. All are winners.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You wouldn't have guessed from the prior posts on the subject, though. Thanks again. Maybe the second time is easier than the first??

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
hip001 said:
Are these numbers good for a 2000 LT also? I'd love to do this prior to BIke Week. I'll see if I can work in the time. What do you guys think, 4-6hrs?
Thanks,
Hip
It's the same part numbers for all years. What your doing is putting on the throttle cables from the '06 and newer LTs, IIRC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts