BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I pulled into the driveway yesterday I thought I smelled something burning. Not an electrical burn, more like a wood burning fireplace. I glanced around the bike and didn't see any smoke so assumed it was a neighbor burning something in their backyard. So I parked the bike in the garage and didn't think anything more about it. This morning I went into the garage and could still slightly smell ashes. I pulled the bike back out of the garage and found ashes on the floor. So I crawled up under the bike and took a look around. It appears a small maybe 3 x 4 inch piece of cardboard had flown up under the bike and lodged itself between the exhaust and the plastic faring just next to it. It was so hot it started burning and melted the faring. Had I been traveling down the road at street speeds this probably wouldn't have been an issue as it would most likely have been blown free. However, since it happened just as I was pulling into the driveway, you can see the results. (Pics attached). Wow! Just wow. I'm not sure whether to consider myself the luckiest guy on the block or what but thinking what might have happened scared the crap out of me when I saw the ashes on the floor this morning.
20200726_105221.jpg 20200726_105355.jpg 20200726_105214.jpg 20200726_104933.jpg
20200726_104933.jpg
20200726_105214.jpg
20200726_105355.jpg
20200726_105221.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
You're lucky. But it would scare me more to have a wood garage floor. What's up with that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're lucky. But it would scare me more to have a wood garage floor. What's up with that?
It's actually a piece of linoleum I placed on the concrete floor that looks like wood. I used to have a dirt bike that leaked oil and the wife made me put it down to keep the garage clean. :)

Reactions: Rainman48

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, could have been a lot worse. Thankfully the cardboard did't create a bigger fire.
I used to own an auto shop. We would see cars with plastic bags melted to the exhaust creating smoke and odor.
I'll bet next time you smell something you are going to look closely. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Luck was on your side. I bet you are glad that's all that happen and not lose ever thing. Strange things happen. I guess now not only doing a pre check I guess we should do a check after a ride. Ever time I come back from a ride I always let the bike cool down before putting it in the garage just for reasons like that, I even let my mower cool down when I'am done with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luck was on your side. I bet you are glad that's all that happen and not lose ever thing. Strange things happen. I guess now not only doing a pre check I guess we should do a check after a ride. Ever time I come back from a ride I always let the bike cool down before putting it in the garage just for reasons like that, I even let my mower cool down when I'am done with it.
That's exactly my plans going forward. It's gonna sit in the driveway until it cools down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
55 Posts
After a ride I pull into my garage and clean the windshield, wipe down the front fairing and clean my wheels. In Texas it is too hot to do that stuff outside in direct sunlight and I do it as soon as I get home so I'd spot something funky going on like a little fire :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow! You let your wife in the garage!! On the cardboard thing, you're not riding fast enough! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! You let your wife in the garage!! On the cardboard thing, you're not riding fast enough! :)
I'n not sure how it is at your house but around here, I'm only lead to believe I'm in charge. :LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts