BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this post I was happily singing the praises of the Speedometer correction. I followed the instructions precisely from an article in the Hall of Wisdom, and went out last night at 10:00 pm for a 5 mile test ride.

Speedometer went from being about 10% over to within about 1% accuracy! Time to put her back in the barn, and celebrate!. Posted to my friends here that it worked great.

Fast forward to today - and my 30 mile ride to test the odometer...

It's running backwards! WTF? The bike has 30 LESS miles on it than before. Time to tear her apart (again... this is a hobby... this is a hobby.... this is a hobby) and try to figure out what went wrong. I am fairly confident that I didn't cross any wires, and I KNOW the jumpers (JB & JC) are in correct place - and not crossed.

Just for grins, I am resetting the computer now, and will know if that outside shot in the dark has any good.

If anyone has any other experience, and knows what the fix is, let me know please! :(

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I wish my body clock and other would do that...rewind that is...

thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Hail Mary with the Computer Reset did no good... Going to have to tear into it again.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
If you do tear into it, take a picture if you can. I didn't and was told over and over again that it was a soldering mistake. I've done way too much soldering on PC boards to make that kind of mistake. Let's take a look at what you did before saying the mod doesn't work or what you changed wasn't done correctly.
Like I said, it was a factory error that caused me to dive into it again.

Jer

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jers99lt said:
If you do tear into it, take a picture if you can. I didn't and was told over and over again that it was a soldering mistake. I've done way too much soldering on PC boards to make that kind of mistake. Let's take a look at what you did before saying the mod doesn't work or what you changed wasn't done correctly.
Like I said, it was a factory error that caused me to dive into it again.

Jer
I did have the presence of mind to take pictures of the back of the cluster before removing it in case of "operator error" when attempting to re-assemble. Before putting her back together completely - just after instrument cluster was re-assembled, I fired it up, put into first gear on the center stand and got speedo reading.

Call me crazy, but I thought I had it right at that time! :crybaby:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Be sure to figure out what when wrong... And document it here...

I'm sure no one here would want to take any miles off their LT. :rotf:

OH Look !!!! A switch to make your odometer run backwards.....:rolleyes:

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Maybe you can just run it back into warranty!!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The Curious Case of the Benjamin Buttons Bike, oh my!

Sorry, just couldn't help myself!

Loren

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JPSpen said:

John
Great idea... Complete with switch in the oddments box to activate the "feature" on demand!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
JPSpen said:

John
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller..... :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Try putting the reverser in "F" instead of "R". :rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't help it. :histerica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts