BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just got back from a 3 day camping weekend doing the Wisconsin stretch of the Mississippi. I decided to invest in a trailer for my 05 LT and admit I should have done this sooner. I checked out the available hitches and relay packs currently available and wasn't overly impressed with any of the designs or PRICES. So, I decided to build them.

Receiver & Hitch
I built a receiver for the frame which can be removed (rear tire removal) with 6 stainless steel allen head bolts. The hitch attaches to the receiver by 3 stainless steel allen head bolts, which allows the hitch to be switched to a basket for camping gear, cooler or wife's shopping. All bolts are drilled and stainless steel wire tied for security. Cost: $36.00 material + 14 hrs labor (mine = free)

Isolation Relay Pack
I ordered 5 (1 spare) 15 amp single pole double throw (SPDT) relays online and wired them up. They didn't need to be double throw, but at $1.29 each, I decided not to look any further. Cost: $12.00 relays & shipping + 5 pin receptacle, wire and ½ labor.

If anyone would be interested in giving it a go and saving some money (FOR GAS!), pm me if you have any questions or need a wiring schematic. Wiring and installing the relay pack is VERY easy.

I wanted to take this opportunity to possibly help someone else out in appreciation for all the info I have benefited from over the last year. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Cory,

I'd be interested in pictures and specs/wiring diagram/instructions for the electrical. I already have a hitch and the trailer is en-route, but need to know how to prep the wiring.

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Need help tapping into the bike's wiring. Right now I have a wire running from the tail lamp housing, but I am looking for something cleaner. Any pictures of where to tap the bike's wiring for stop, turns, and tail lamps?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts