BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to fabricate my own trailer hitch for my '05 LT. Is anybody willing to share detailed photos of the hitches they have installed? Doesn't matter which brand as I'm really only interested in the basic design and attachment points. The different dealers web sites don't give out to much detail.

I know you're thinking what a cheap bastard I am, but I'm not made of money and I enjoy fabricating stuff. The intent is not to rip off the manufacterers nor make any more than the one for myself. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I've had several hitches on my LT and in my opinion the two better ones are the Dauntless and the Bushtec hitch.
Each has it's pro's and con's.
The Bushtec pulls from the motor mount and the Dauntless is bolted to the rear tubular subframe.
The ideal hitch would be a combination of both, in other words:
pull from the motor mount and be "quick" removeable like the Dauntless.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Dauntless, installed and removed,
now take a good look at the rear of the LT frame,
picture where the hitch mounts, pretty wimpy huh.

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hitch Comment

Guys,
either hitch mount is far, far superior to how a hitch is mounted on a HD FLH. You want to see wimpy, take a look at that one. Towed a Legend Trailer behind mine for years and never had a problem. Both hook ups on the LT is far stronger than that. You are probably safe with either option.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dauntless a Wimpy Hitch...... NOT!!

Say what you want but I have a Dauntless hitch on my 01 Icon and have pulled a heavy trailer (Aspen Sentry, 550lbs loaded) for over 25,000 miles with absolutly no problems what so ever. And if you ever have to change a tire out on the road (and I have) you'll appreciate the quick disconnect on the hitch assembly. Both are good hitches, the Dauntless is not wimpy and neither is the sub frame.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I had a Dauntless on my 02 LT and my 05 and also pulled a trailer similar to yours (Bunkhouse)
and several Bushtecs through almost every state in the union.

I never said anything negative regarding either hitch,
only that the "sub frame" is wimpy and that's because it's made out of very thin wall hollow tubing.
Do you remember how the old "airhead" BMW's used to crack the rear subframe if you put a top box on them? It's still the same tubing.

Now take a good look at how the Dauntless hangs down,
with each bump it gets pulled back and then gets pushed forward by the trailer,
(with a heavy trailer you must have felt that?)
what happens when metal gets pulled fore and aft continuously?
The convenience of the remove-able lower hitch half is also the "drawback" (pun intended) of the Dauntless.

With the Bushtec there is no hitch "flexing" but you have the inconvenience of three extra bolts (five if you count the rear cross bars) to remove when changing a tire or changing the transmission fluid.

The ideal hitch would be a Bushtec/Dauntless "hybrid" (a Bush-less) :)
that pulls from the motor mount and "slips of" like the Dauntless with just a couple of pins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts