BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headed home last night at about 7 pm. Two miles from the house, running about 60 mph. Saw one go between me and the car I was following, and then there was one right there crossing the centerline - hit the brakes and BAM! and my lights pretty much all go out but I am still upright and riding. Mirror hanging from the wire. Never took me off my line. Didn't even touch me. Rode her on home. Didn't know it hit the saddlebag until later. Somehow, even the taillight was broken and the brake lights are on, "Brake Failure" light flashing on key, preventing me from getting her up on the EHCS.

Sorry for the turn images...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It is aggravating but glad you are OK. Many have died as from a deer collision.

Last week one LEAPED into the front right of my truck, rolled to and dented the passenger door setting off the driver & passenger full curtain and seat side impact airbags.
1000.00 body damage, 6700.00 airbag related damage.
BUT we are OK.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Deer are so unpredictable. I saw one the other day, in the daylight, and started looking for others but it was a loner.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Damn. I'm glad you were not injured.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Headed home last night at about 7 pm. Two miles from the house, running about 60 mph. Saw one go between me and the car I was following, and then there was one right there crossing the centerline - hit the brakes and BAM! and my lights pretty much all go out but I am still upright and riding. Mirror hanging from the wire. Never took me off my line. Didn't even touch me. Rode her on home. Didn't know it hit the saddlebag until later. Somehow, even the taillight was broken and the brake lights are on, "Brake Failure" light flashing on key, preventing me from getting her up on the EHCS.

Sorry for the turn images...[/

Glad you share ok. Bike can be fixed. I think the LT being so heavy and stable helps in these types of collisions.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Man. Glad you're OK. Sounds like the bike damage was minimal and can be repaired. Deer collisions usually end a lot worse than that. Sorry for the bad luck though, and great riding keeping her up.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Your ok. That's all that matters.Another reason why to love the LT. It's a tank. It (The collision) didn't even take you off line. Impressive. Just go and get another one. You know you want to. LOL.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I am impressed with both the LT and your riding ability. It will be an expensive repair, but it is great that you are alive and well to make the repairs!

Reactions: niel_petersen

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,180 Posts
Sorry to see the bike in such bad shape but glad you are OK Kim. Check the switch paddle on the foot brake - deer may have bent it causing the brake lights to be on

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Glad you are okay. The same thing happened to me in 2010. I hit two deer but the design of the LT saved us. The stationary fairing is great. Had I been on a regular motorcycle I would have went down. The deer demolished the front and the left sidecase. I stayed up but the bike was a total loss. They come out of nowhere. It's just that time of year. Again, glad you are okay.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wow. I always thought LT stood for Light Truck, but hearing you guys talk about hitting deer and staying up, I'm starting to think it stands for Light Tank. :D

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks to all. I'm still trying to process how it happened and a little gun shy passing that point.

The weight of the Beast helped as, I think, the design of the fairing and it providing a protective zone for your foot and leg. Second time a K1200LT has protected my leg, almost 10 years since that little old lady ran the light and hit me on the '02. It works on both sides =-}

Trying to decide to fix or replace. Can't figure out why I'm getting the quick flashing Brake Failure Light on key. Taillight is full on. Both lever and peddle have good feel but the ABS pump isn't running. Going to start looking at the left caliper as the caliper mounted motolight was pointed up. Several low mile 06-09's around...

Thanks John for the suggestion foot peddle, I'll look, but it hit the left side and never touched my foot or leg.

You one upped me rattler50 - two deer!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Tough choice on repair or replace. You can find advantages to both and disadvantages to both. Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Any idea how much insurance will payout for a totaled LT? Assuming your LT is totaled.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,180 Posts
Can't figure out why I'm getting the quick flashing Brake Failure Light on key. Taillight is full on. Both lever and peddle have good feel but the ABS pump isn't running. Going to start looking at the left caliper as the caliper mounted motolight was pointed up. Several low mile 06-09's around...

Thanks John for the suggestion foot peddle, I'll look, but it hit the left side and never touched my foot or leg.
The reason you get the fast flash is the first part of the self test must be completed with the brakes released. Since you have a brake light on all the time the ABS thinks the brakes are applied. Once you find the source of the constant brake light the rest should fall into place.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Check the brake lights wiring. If broken, on one light the system startup test will fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a very similar event last Sunday.
It had not been dark very long, I was following a car out of town when I saw a deer dart in front of the car. He dabbed his brakes, and didn't hit the deer. I dabbed my braked out of reflex, I didn't want to hit the car. And just when what had happened sunk in, deer number two flashed in front of me! I still had my hand on the brakes, and dabbed them, but I'm sure that was after the deer passed. You do not see them coming, and they are fast!!! He couldn't have been more than a foot in front of the front tire.
I never have liked ridding at night, I like it even less now.

Fortunately no photos!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All three tail light bulbs are lit. I pulled the tail light and disconnected each and reconnected. No change.

I can hear the hand lever and foot pedal microswitches (and see the rear) clicking, so I don't think one is stuck. I tried pushing out on the hand lever w/o change. Clutch side the same.
I have brake pressure at both front and rear.
Front ABS sensor wire looks fine.
Left turn signal bulb is broken, but don't figure that is the problem.
Headlight is not on, high beam does work. Both HID.
The light did not start flashing until after I rode it home and shut if off.
Can't think of anything in the front or left side panel related to the brake lights.
I'll have to manually get her on the CS and start disassembly...

No idea on what insurance would pay, didn't have that coverage. 10 yrs ago, they offered 1/2 of new purchase price on a 5 yr old bike w/40k. They valued my motolights at $30! Doubt they would give much on a 10 yr old w/85k. No doubt they would total (again) considering what I'm seeing as the price of new replacement parts.

Reactions: beech

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I think this blonde lady has the answer to our deer problem...:

>:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've heard stuff like that before and always wonder if the person is really that stupid, or if they're that great of an actor for starting dead pan through the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts