BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what year the LT front geometry was modified for a little quicker handling and when the power center stand was introduced. I also recall a slight mod to the final drive ratio to increase power a bit and also reduce gas mileage slightly.
Thanks,

·
Registered
577 Posts
Front camber and power center stand done in 05. HP increased from 99 IIRC to 116

not sure about the rear drive ratio change.

my 05 mpg is in the high 40's to low 50's on an interstate trip.

HTH

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
All happened on the '05 model year, along with the headlight and dash layout change.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
dgg155 said:
Can someone tell me what year the LT front geometry was modified for a little quicker handling and when the power center stand was introduced. I also recall a slight mod to the final drive ratio to increase power a bit and also reduce gas mileage slightly.
Thanks,
The final drive housing was changed in 02-03 for the incorporation of the speedo sensor into the ABS sensor. 02 and earlier had a separate sensor for the speedo and there is a hole in the final drive housing for that sensor. That hole is absent in later final drive housings.
Someone posted on this board that the FD gear ratio changed in 05. I don't think that is correct. Other things changes in 05, maybe some ratios on the tranny, (I haven't looked into that) but a review of online parts diagrams show the same part number for the final drive input bevel gear/crown gear set from beginning of production to present. That would mean that there has been not change in final drive ratios.

And I'm not sure the front end geometry was changed to make the handling "a little quicker". The geometry was changed but my understanding was that it was changed to improve low speed handling. And it seems that there was an increase number of reports of front end instablility following that change. My current summation of that change is that it marginally improved slow speed handling, but made the bike more sensitive to imbalances introduced by wheel imbalance, tire wear, etc.

Others know better than I do, but I throw my observations/conclusions into the mix to stimulate discord.....err..... discourse.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
CharlieVT said:
----------------------------------
Someone posted on this board that the FD gear ratio changed in 05. -------------------------------.
You are correct. The fifth gear ratio in the transmission was changed in '05 to make the LT more responsive to throttle in fifth gear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the quick and authoritative replys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts