BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob question here: Does anyone understand the difference between the manual and auto modes of HSC Pro? The Rider's Manual doesn't really explain it. This is on a 2021 bike.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
442 Posts
I can tell you the manual mode works by squeezing the brake lever twice and hold activates. Same again to deactivate. Auto deactivation works by taking off almost normally but you will notice the extra resistance, I guess a bit like when you have a pillion opposed to riding alone.

I never used it to set automatically though. I like to be the one deciding when is it needed :D

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
103 Posts
Side story:

First ride on my new-to-me 2018 RT last November, I went up the hill behind our house in Northern Idaho to give both it and me a little work. (I hadn't ridden since about 2015, since I sold my last RT). I stopped to take a picture. Eager to try all the new toys, like "hill start", I went through the motions, but the bike stalled out every time I released the clutch. That ... WASN'T ... the way it was supposed to work. Short story long, I pulled out my phone, sat down on the wet pavement (it had just rained, and was about to start again), and went back to the manual. A half hour later, still no solution.

Then I had a moment of pure "brilliance". BMW's have an automatic safety device to keep really stupid riders from hurting themselves (unnecessarily). When you drop this thing in gear, and LEAVE THE FREAKIN' KICKSTAND DOWN, it acts like a kill switch. Who knew?🤔 (Well, I did know once upon a time, because it worked that way on my last two Beemers. However, I had forgotten that (a) I had left the kickstand down, and that ( b) it's the #1 reason nooby BMW riders stall their bikes. 🙄😖)

I only got two brief rides on it before winter set in, so I guess that I'll have to take her out and do the hill start test again.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
14 Posts
I can tell you the manual mode works by squeezing the brake lever twice and hold activates. Same again to deactivate. Auto deactivation works by taking off almost normally but you will notice the extra resistance, I guess a bit like when you have a pillion opposed to riding alone.

I never used it to set automatically though. I like to be the one deciding when is it needed :D
Squeeze twice?

Thats a bit backwards if you squeeze twice! on my 2016 I pull up to a stop and pull the front brake hard and its on. No need to pull it twice

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
442 Posts
No need to pull it twice
Maybe I don't squeeze it hard enough the first time... I could never get to engage at the first attempt. But mine is a '21 bike, maybe there are changes to the system. The OP stated he has a '21 bike too...

·
Registered
447 Posts
In auto mode the bike will AUTOMATICALLY switch on Hill start if the angle of the bike is (I think) 5 degrees, it might be 10 but that is in the manual.

What that means is that if you are going up a hill and stop, the bike will automatically activate the rear brake, so in theory you do not have to hold the bike with the front brake and should drive away normally.

However, that failed for me when riding up Applecross in Scotland last year. The road is a single track leading up to the highest road in Scotland and stopping for on-coming traffic is normal. What I experienced was abnormal shuddering of the bike when releasing the clutch, what was happening was that the bike was engaging the rear brake as I was trying to move. The bike became very difficult to stop and re-start and I couldn't switch off the auto mode until I got to the top.

They guys with me call me "Kangaroo Man" that day.

Anyway, auto mode is switched off and will stay off, if I want Hill Start to activate I will do it with the squeeze on the front brake.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
99 Posts
Yeah, I didn't like the way it acted in my slightly sloped driveway so just turned it off as I've never had an issue with a bike on a hill anyway...

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
On my 2019 RT I use the manual HSC function ie come to a stop, hard squeeze of front brake, let go, brake remains applied and so bike won't roll backwards on a hill. To manually cancel give another hard squeeze of brake, or just ride off using clutch/throttle control as usual.
When I bought my bike new the salesman warmed me against using the automatic HSC. He told me that if automatic HSC is selected in the Settings menu and you come to a stop on an incline of 5 degrees or more, the brakes will automatically remain on when you manually release the brake lever. This to automatically stop you from rolling back. But what if you have come to a stop on an incline and you want/need to roll back? For example: You pull up in front of a parking spot on a cambered road and want to roll back into it so your back wheel is against the kerb. If the camber is 5 degrees or more you won't be able to roll back even if you have released the brake. I don't fancy being stuck out on the road unable to roll back into a parking space. My HSC auto is switched off.

Ian

·
Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
22 Posts
On my 2019 RT I use the manual HSC function ie come to a stop, hard squeeze of front brake, let go, brake remains applied and so bike won't roll backwards on a hill. To manually cancel give another hard squeeze of brake, or just ride off using clutch/throttle control as usual.
When I bought my bike new the salesman warmed me against using the automatic HSC. He told me that if automatic HSC is selected in the Settings menu and you come to a stop on an incline of 5 degrees or more, the brakes will automatically remain on when you manually release the brake lever. This to automatically stop you from rolling back. But what if you have come to a stop on an incline and you want/need to roll back? For example: You pull up in front of a parking spot on a cambered road and want to roll back into it so your back wheel is against the kerb. If the camber is 5 degrees or more you won't be able to roll back even if you have released the brake. I don't fancy being stuck out on the road unable to roll back into a parking space. My HSC auto is switched off.

Ian
Wonder if you can just give the brake lever a squeeze to release it like you would in manual mode?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the responses! I get the difference now. I will have to find a hilly parking lot or something to play with it and try the two modes out. The manual mode has already been useful in my driveway and I will definitely, at the very least, be using that mode.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses! I get the difference now. I will have to find a hilly parking lot or something to play with it and try the two modes out. The manual mode has already been useful in my driveway and I will definitely, at the very least, be using that mode.
In auto it also comes on when stopping down hill, which can catch you out if your not careful :) Mine is in manual :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
...BMW's have an automatic safety device to keep really stupid riders from hurting themselves (unnecessarily). When you drop this thing in gear, and LEAVE THE FREAKIN' KICKSTAND DOWN, it acts like a kill switch. Who knew?🤔 (Well, I did know once upon a time, because it worked that way on my last two Beemers. However, I had forgotten that (a) I had left the kickstand down, and that ( b) it's the #1 reason nooby BMW riders stall their bikes. 🙄😖)...
And pretty much every bike has this safety feature, not just BMW's!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I use the HSC manually and only on a steep grade at a stop light. I'll release it manually just before taking off I don't like the auto transition from the brake on to the release seems to be lagging. All it takes is one firm squeeze on or off.

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
203 Posts
I've had it on 3 versions now (17, 19 and 22) This latest 2022 version is by far the best and in my opinion is the first that works as it is intended.
The other's never seemed to hold, letting go after a few seconds. Complained numerous times but they always said it was working as it should.
This one comes on and stays on!
I use it all the time. For me a ride off or a simple squeeze deactivates.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing that wasn't obvious to me from the Rider's Manual is that you can manually active HSC at any time, regardless of the slope. I find that very nice for sitting at a long stop light (or elsewhere). It's nice to know for sure the bike isn't going to roll if you're giving your hands a rest. And as you've said, a firm squeeze to activate or release. Very happy to have this.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I've probably used HSC four or five times on my 15.
When it was absolutely necessary for me to have use of my right hand at a stop on a hill, since I had it, I've engaged it and in those cases, I found it a good "tool" to have.
Otherwise, I don't use it.
In the 60+ years I've been riding, I've seen a lot of true improvements in motorcycle technology.
HSC was never something I thought was necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Manual only for me. Like Shooks, I use at long stops, just as extra security. Never had an issue riding off. A handy, though not essential "extra|".

Old Foxy

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is a video of me heading to Applecross with the Hill start set to automatic, you should be able to see how the bike behaved when I let out the clutch, it would not release the back brake and shuddered. The guys called me "Kangaroo man" after it. Needless to say the thing was set to manual after that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts