BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

My riding buddy and I are planning our trip for this summer (June). Last year we did Atlanta to Jackson, WY and back. We liked it so much we’re going to do it again. This year we’re going to add an extra week. We’re going to meet in Asheville, NC (he lives in Atlanta and I live in Greensboro) and take hwy 23 north into Ohio. Then north through Michigan through the Mackinaw straight then pick up hwy 2. We plan to stay on hwy 2 all the way to Glacier National Park. The map says the hwy 2 segment is about 1500 miles. From Glacier we’re going down to Jackson, WY to meet our spouses who will fly out to spend a week with us touring the Tetons and Yellowstone Park. After we put our wifes on a plane at Jackson, WY, we plan to go south and pick up hwy 40 then head east to hwy 34 then go through Estes Park in Colorado then head east back home. I know Kansas, Missouri and Illinois are going to seem barren after the Rocky Mtns. So if anyone knows something we should see, I’d appreciate the advice.

I’m especially interested in anyone’s experience with hwy 2 - or anything along this route that we should know.

Last year, the total mileage was 6100 miles, this year could be close to 8000 miles. We’re leaving the first week of June and expect to be back by July 4th….I can’t wait.

Smith
’05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Looks like you/ve picked good routes. Check the MT DOT website for construction. We did the trip from MN and found part of 2 that was 'missing' - no gravel, just dirt. The LT did fine, even thru the soft stuff. Would have been a 250-mile detour. Other than that one stretch, good road, tho a bit non-curvy :). Say Hi to Glacier for us. The trip FROM Glacier as you continue will be a bit prettier than going TO.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I rode hwy 2 from Montana to michigan.
One of my favorite roads.....................
was some work on it so maybe 5 miles of compacted gravel but................
somewhere in Minnesota or Wisconson was a little restaurant on the North side of the road advertised Swedish pancakes.....Don't Miss 'em !!
The memory brings a tear to my eye.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take a look at Road Trip USA. They have excellent travelogues of some of the US Highway system, including US 2. I have been dreaming about a cycle trip to Maine via 2 for some time. It starts just north of us in Everett, WA

http://roadtripusa.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts