BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a source for pre-cut high viz (the higher viz, the better) rear decals for the RT.

There are several kits for the black reflective out there, but I do a lot of riding in wet, dense traffic and would like the benefits of the high viz during the day as well as at night.

Any leads on such a thing? If not, high viz sheets and a template to cut them from?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Just about he highest reflectivity tape out there is SOLAS tape. Used on life rings, life boats and other such items. Made by 3M I believe. Expensive, but available and in several colors.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
beech said:
Just about he highest reflectivity tape out there is SOLAS tape. Used on life rings, life boats and other such items. Made by 3M I believe. Expensive, but available and in several colors.

West Marine sells packs of the stuff in pre-cut lengths if you are in a hurry for $20-35.

Aerostitch sells small rolls for $7 if you have time to wait for the mail. Best deal going...

http://www.aerostich.com/adhesive-3m-solas-grade-reflective.html

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
ka5ysy said:
West Marine sells packs of the stuff in pre-cut lengths if you are in a hurry for $20-35.

Aerostitch sells small rolls for $7 if you have time to wait for the mail. Best deal going...

http://www.aerostich.com/adhesive-3m-solas-grade-reflective.html
I use the white to make some patterns on the back of my helmet. The wife was following one night and said it was amazing how it stood out.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Best deal going, humm......Send me a self addressed envelope and I will send you a 7" strip of white SOLAS tape for free. Enough to make some diamonds or squares for the back of your helmet. B. Snipes 722 N. 8th St. Mount Vernon, WA. 98273

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I think I've found my answer.

Order a set of the die-cut reflective panels for the RT and then use them as a stencil to cut yellow high viz decals from and then apply the high viz.

Expensive, but I cannot find what I want commercially available. Seems to be the story of my bike accessorizing experience. I should start my own company.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another option might be to google truck suppliers. They have a larger selection of reflective decals. Trucks, buses and other commercial vehicles have more demand for high visibility products to comply with federal and state regulations and less interest in esthetics. You'll find plenty of red/white, yellow/black diagonal pattern reflective tapes and products with higher reflectance/luminosity than the stuff that m/c accessory retailers usually sell.

·
Registered
204 Posts
four12 said:
So I think I've found my answer.

Order a set of the die-cut reflective panels for the RT and then use them as a stencil to cut yellow high viz decals from and then apply the high viz.
Rather than pay for decals you don't intend to use, make your own templates. You can use any type of paper, including newspaper. Lay it out on the surface you want to cover and roughly trace the contour. Trim with scissors until you get it right. A couple of tries and you'll get a good result. You can then easily transfer the shape to cardboard for a durable, long-term pattern.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
japachap said:
Currently working on a similar idea in Holland.
Hallo!

Thanks for sharing your project; it has given me some good ideas to work with. I like your LED light placement and the decals for the front fairings.

"Dutch Mountain Rescue Service" - :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bikebits said:
Rather than pay for decals you don't intend to use, make your own templates.
I have found a photo online of a template used for making die cut decals; it is small but I should be able to scale it up in Photoshop to "real size" and then cut high viz sheets from there.

I've found the Respro sheets for not too bad of a price/shipping as well as some nice 1" red SOLAS tape to add for the diagonals.

Yes, this is going to be obnoxious, but to me the safety is worth it... I've had too many close calls and want to avoid them as much as possible.

Add in a set of Hyperlites and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
four12 said:
Hallo!

Thanks for sharing your project; it has given me some good ideas to work with. I like your LED light placement and the decals for the front fairings.

"Dutch Mountain Rescue Service" - :)
No worries four12, glad to be of inspirational service! Just posted the final LED fitment to the thread ( http://65.38.186.184/forums/showthread.php?p=24589&posted=1#post24589 ) and hope to do the reflective stickering sometime in the next two weeks. Will post here when its done...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.