BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Whats the go with the wobble at around 200 kmph and above??
Is this normal for the LT? Is my steering dampner due for a service?
Or is it the bike just doesnt like being pushed that hard?
This happened while travelling solo.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Dezrae said:
Folks,
Can't cope with the strange Oz metric system :p, but on my recent trip round Europe, my '05 was happy cruisin between 115 -123 mph with no wobbles at all.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting.
I held the throttle full open and the bike got to 210 kmph (130.488 mph) and still had a wobble to it.
If i backed it off to about 180kmph (111.8468) it was fine, but from there on upwards, it wobbled.
Im not going to stress over it though,its not like i can ride round town doing those kinds of speeds.

Thanks for the feedback though

If you own a pc and want a freeware convertor to help out understand the Metric system, get "CONVERT" here

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
...only joking about the metric system - in the UK we have a mad mix of metric and imperial!! - the 115-123mph was GPS speed - the BMW speedo seems to have a 'built in' optimism (which can be eliminated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I ride the 2005 LT & found that when the tyre pressure was @ the recommended pressure I get a bad wobble & shake " VERY SCARY " So I tried dropping by 2 to 3 psig & that solved the problem. I should also mention this only happened when I decelerated & @ a speed of approximately 80 KMPH. :bmw:

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
I rode my '99 for extended runs at those speeds and it was rock solid. I've never been quite that fast on my '02 here in the States (honest ;)), but it's also been perfectly stable at all speeds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had miine uo to 200 KMPH this summer, it was rock solid and rode straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The bike should be solid. I frequently run full throttle pretty much tank to tank and have no issues with wobble. The same is when two up and I pull the trailer as well and the normal pace is 85-100 MPH as it allows without problems.

However, at full speed a small imbalance factor in the wheels will affect the stability and the ride.

I'd check the tires, bearings and wheels for problems.

Stefan

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. my tyres have only got 4000 kilometers on them, Metzeler is on front and rear.
tyre pressure rear 46, front 42.

bearings. i didnt think of that.the bike is years old with now 34,500 kilometers on it.

i will go hunting thru my service manual & see whats involved with the bearings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
forget the bearings. . . . . just store the XXXX properly over the TWO saddlebags and not just the left one . . . . . hehehehe

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Hey Dez,

You probably have some feathering of the front tires. I can run my LT through all speeds and the only time I have a high speed wobble (100+ MPH) or low speed wobble (between 40-45MPH) is when my tires are feathered (some people may call it cupping).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
eljeffe i have included some photos of my front tyre. I dont think its cupped. When i had my VFR800 i remember when the front tyre on it was cupped and it was noticable at any speed with the wobble.

Im not over worried about the high speed wobble as i wont be doing that speed on the bike again, just a once off.

pcra suggested to put my XXXX evenly in the panniers. Well, i dont drink XXXX but i think i may have been carrying some extra Vodka with me that day, or it might have been the extra weight in the right pannier from the zipties and fuses causing it i guess ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I can solve your problem. Move to North Carolina. The state troopers can help you avoid high speed wobble. I'd love to try going 200kph.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I dont have to, i can just go to the Northern Territory here in Australia where on the open highway its open speed limits...

a few years ago, 2001 easter to be exact, i shot past a police car on my VFR800 doing 240 kmph and there wanst a thing they could do about it...

Im sure they were doing about 100 kmph when i charged past them...

i still remember the moment and smile about it every time :))

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Dezrae said:
Hey Dez,
Hope that you crossed the border in to the Northern Territory and riding on roads without speed restrictions...cause last time I checked, the speed limit in Qld was 110km/h... Us boyz in blue start loosing our sense of humour when speeds start getting up that high! ;) We're the only ones allowed to do that...:)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In townsville its a regular occourace to see high speeds on yer dial if you want...

its called a...

DRAGSTRIP!!!

Its only 5 minutes ride from my house!
I visit regularly on saturday nights. Sometimes go sunday afternoons as well.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Dezrae said:
Folks,
ya got lots of miles on it?

Something Else to check that others have not mentioned (or that I saw anyhow) Swingarm pivot Bearings adjustment (mine have actually been replaced once already) so have the SO's RT pivot bearings, they were not shot but wore, so I replaced them, just like anything else where there is movemnet you can get wear which in suspension there is no telling what kind of problems you will face, also just how wore out are you shocks, I noticed after replacing mine, I no longer have the slowing down from speed head shake.
you air pressure being to high should not cause that problem , if anything, that is showing you a different problem, I run my tires at just over max air pressure ME880's on a 2002 K1200Lt

Tom

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tmgs wrote:

Dez replies:
only 34,600 kilometers. I know list members with way more then that. I bought the bike early in the year second hand.

I think the shocks are not in the best state either.
im working on that, saving some bucks to buy some after market suspension. dont really care what i get, so long as i can get it rebuilt either myself or by someone here in Australia.

i will look thru the service manual about the bearings you mentioned.if its not too hard to check myself, then i will do so.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Dezrae said:
tmgs wrote:

Dez replies:
only 34,600 kilometers. I know list members with way more then that. I bought the bike early in the year second hand.

I think the shocks are not in the best state either.
im working on that, saving some bucks to buy some after market suspension. dont really care what i get, so long as i can get it rebuilt either myself or by someone here in Australia.

i will look thru the service manual about the bearings you mentioned.if its not too hard to check myself, then i will do so.

Thanks
just to let ya know, the so's needed replaced pretty badly at 57k, mine were replaced at 51k (I'm pretty sure that was the miles) but were not that bad yet. it is common for them to get over looked by folks, heck I didn't know there was a adjustment for them until I started using my current dealer, I just knew one day I would need to replace them like on any other motorcycle (common sense)

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts