BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend was beautiful here and I took a short 200 mile round trip on some nice country back roads.

On a long straight mild downhill spot that was desserted and didnt have any driveways or roads entering it....I was able to hold the LT wide open for a bit . I hit an indicated 130 mph :D . It was really strange on such a large upright bike , but she was stable and pretty smooth despite pretty gusty wind conditions.

As the day wore on it got very windy . On one stretch heading home I was cruising around indicated 95 mph and she was buffeting around a bit but again, she did suprisingly well for such a battleship.

Man the handling of these bikes on the move really is good. It just doesnt feel like an 850+ lb motorcyle at all unless you are at parking lot speeds.

Given BMW's direction currently with every new model being impressively lighter and more powerful than previous ones , I cant wait to see what is in the cards for the next gen LT. :bmw:

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Shriker said:
This past weekend was beautiful here and I took a short 200 mile round trip on some nice country back roads.

On a long straight mild downhill spot that was desserted and didnt have any driveways or roads entering it....I was able to hold the LT wide open for a bit . I hit an indicated 130 mph

If that was indicated by the speedo, you weren't going more than 120. Of course that is pretty fast:)

I believe the fasted reported speed on a pre 05 LT is about 125 indicated by GPS...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can GPS confirm 128mph on a 2005 LT. It really is incredible that such a heavy bike can handle speed so well.

Now don't bash me for this one...

I love the fact that I can run down sportbikes (750GSXR last week) in the sweepers and on the straits. The look they give me is priceless. But I just can't see me dragging knees on the LT. Has anyone ever taken their LT on a true track day?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am guessing my actual was ~120ish given speedo error etc......she was still mildly accelerating , not too much left though..... :bmw:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got a shock when resetting the gps after returning from our recent trip to Arkansas. The wife and I had just been riding and enjoying the wonderful roads and never would have guessed that at sometime during one of our rides we hit 116 mph! The LT is so smoothe at speed that we never noticed. This is also the only scooter we've owned that I don't catch flack for when riding the interstates. Sweet! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
LTBrown said:
Has anyone ever taken their LT on a true track day?
Have a look through the Australian section of the forum. One of the blokes down here took his machine for a punt around Eastern Creek raceway outside of Sydney, I think this was about 2 years ago.

Ride safe all

·
Registered
247 Posts
Shouldn't of been goofing off like this but on the return trip down I-35 from OKC yesterday the Garmin street pilot said I hit 124. That's 2-up, fully loaded and an extra bag on the rack. Incredible! Felt like we were going 85. Smooth and solid as a rock. Except for a sharp blow to the back of my helmet from the co-pilot there was nothing unusual feeling at that speed. Dang it's fun to act childish every now and then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
During September I was two up on my FJR in Montana when I came across a silver LT two up running down I90. They were doing a brisk high 80's when we blew by them..but they kept up into the low hundreds. Got to love Montana! I was surprised at both the rider and the bike keeping pace. I think I finally wore them out but I give them credit. I think that evening I decided to buy a LT. I know they were more comfortable than we were...

As far a running down jixxer and such..its the rider not the bike. The LT is still 800 pounds of 100hp bike. Its a dog compared to my FJR and an Fjr is a dog compared to any rocket.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Went to see my dad in Pittsburgh from Harrisburg, 222 miles, 3 hours and 1 min, 75 mph average, 118 top speed, GPS logged of course.

I have had it buried with no GPS on so have no idea.

I do notice a lot of fluctuation on the speedo to GPS. But at times, and depending on throttle position, it is also dead nuts on.

I have a play bridge going home from work and I do 100+ every day on it.

Just a great speed bike. I do love high speed on it and it really is what made me more conscious of wearing more gear. I go everywhere faster then I used to on the Road Glide.

Just the Nature of one machine to another. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
with all this speed, who or how many use radar detectors and what kind ??

·
Registered
353 Posts
loansumrider said:
Who needs those, I use my cruise control to keep from getting tickets. And that is my official answer.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The 05's and later speedo's are much better, mine is off by 3 to 4mph most of the time. This last trip I was on a rode that just begged for a speed run so I wound it up and got 127 on the 2820, the speedo looked closer to 135 but i didn't look that hard just a glance. 4th gear at redline is almost as fast as what it will pull in 5th. It is very smooth at that speed.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
speed

I have not really pushed it around here. Lots of nice roads but I am concerned about deer. I've had it at 105 or so a few times, but not above that

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
loansumrider said:
I sustained 124mph on my '02 LT for several miles. That's was "it". No more go. My GT has seen 157mph once. Over 150 many many times. (These speeds are all GPS corrected, of course.)

Valentine One is THE ONLY radar detector to buy. Period!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Joe you better call Valentine and tell him you want a cut of all the V1's you have got people to buy.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
Joe you better call Valentine and tell him you want a cut of all the V1's you have got people to buy.
Yea...I should. Then again, I'm just trying to help even out the fight. It's "us" against "them". :D :D :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Somewhat loaded and GPS comfirmed 126. It didn't feel like it had much left........I didn't want to risk it too long so I pull her back to 80 something. :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
kdog said:
Oh, maybe. :)

Come on. I want to see that knee on the pavement. I do like the evil eye peeking thru the tape...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts