BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am wanting to buy a K1200 with 200000 miles on it. I am a mechanic so working on it won't be a problem. The dealer has the entire history on it. Including the fact that she is on her 3rd final. Everything works on the bike. What do you all think. This will be my first BMW purchase.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
What year model is it?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
I hope you really enjoy her she is a fine riding machine. Don't let the mileage bother you as Don Aurther had 304000 on his bike when he totaled it on the way to the Iron Butt Rally. If you have another rear drive go out get Curtis (CharleyVT) to rebuild it correctly and you won't have to worry about it again. Depending on her age (not miles) you should consider new brake lines if they are over 7-10 years old as there have been quite a few at that age give out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Good Lord...so what's the upper limit?

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Rocketsled said:
Good Lord...so what's the upper limit?
We haven't found it yet . . . :D

BTW, Don Arthur's LT had 334K miles on it, and was still going strong . . .

·
Registered
876 Posts
Nikasil cylinder lining, big oil pump, water cooing, almost 4 litres of oil and generous sized big ends and mains. This engine is derived from the time-proven K100 and they do colossal miles, they also had hard chromed crankshaft journals. Keep the oil and air clean and the coolant replaced and tha engine will last past any other motorcycle engine because it isn't over stressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike is a 2001, what i read here and other post it sounds like a no brainer. I will get the dealer records and find out what was done. The only thing I saw doing a walk around is the front brake rotors looked wore thin. And I found a set if them on ebay. The only thing the dealer suggested to worry about is the clutch slave cylinder that could start leaking. And I have read something about drilling a weep hole. Looks like we are going to be up to the 40 this week to go for a test ride. Thanks for your inputs

Tooltime

·
Registered
787 Posts
Gez, lets see, I bought my 07 LT in 08 and I put approximately 3000 miles a year on her and based on Don putting 304,000 miles on his bike I've got 97 years to go or to put it another way I can trade in the old girl in 2109 for my new K1600 GTL. I can't figure it out but something doesn't seem to jive with this plan. Oh I know, how stupid of me, there won't be a K1600GTL in 2109 it will be a K2000GTL. :rotf:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Tooltime66 said:
The bike is a 2001, what i read here and other post it sounds like a no brainer. I will get the dealer records and find out what was done. The only thing I saw doing a walk around is the front brake rotors looked wore thin. And I found a set if them on ebay. The only thing the dealer suggested to worry about is the clutch slave cylinder that could start leaking. And I have read something about drilling a weep hole. Looks like we are going to be up to the 40 this week to go for a test ride. Thanks for your inputs

Tooltime
I have brand new rotors if you do not score them on eBay.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Tooltime66 said:
Hi, I am wanting to buy a K1200 with 200000 miles on it. I am a mechanic so working on it won't be a problem. The dealer has the entire history on it. Including the fact that she is on her 3rd final. Everything works on the bike. What do you all think. This will be my first BMW purchase.
If you are an experienced mechanic with rebuilding the FD isn't that hard. The most common cause of FD failure in the early models (09-02) is due to improper set up resulting in crownwheel bearing failure. If not properly rebuilt, i.e. just a new bearing installed without checking preload, it will fail again eventually.
With a history of 3 FD failures, I'd suspect that this was the case with this bike.

The information on how to do a rebuild is here on this site. If you have trouble finding it, someone will point you to it. Use the search function for final drive; you'll have to wade through lots of posts but there is pretty good information here which is the result of a collaborative effort of many folks who have contributed to the subject over the years.

It is a great bike, you'll enjoy it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
meese said:
. . . :D

BTW, Don Arthur's LT had 334K miles on it, and was still going strong . . .

Looks like we were both wrong... From his Accident Summary:
"THE BIKE

Was a 2000 K1200LT. I can safely say it’s a total loss. Too bad… it was running so well and everything worked. It was the perfect bike. It’s a shame to lose it with only 306K on the odometer. "

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts