BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Looking at pulling the trigger on a fully loaded 2014 r1200rt. Has nav 5, paint matched top case and owned by an enthusiast that I am confident stayed on top of the maintenance. The bike has been around the block a few times at over 115k miles. Stator, driveshaft have been replaced previously. I’m not necessarily worried that it will be reliable, but curious what some of you would consider a fair price for such bike.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Well whatever one is willing to pay for it :)

That leaves a final drive and possible ABS but I have not heard of a ABS unit going on a LC bike. Have you gone over it?

KBB says retail is 8280 with typical miles but no way I would even go close to that.

Edit: for accuracy.

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your comments! I always have the same first comment when someone asks about value :) - unfortunately there are no "Comps" to review for a high mileage wethead that i can find. I believe KBB says 8280 is typical trade for a base r1200rt, if i look at r1200rt premium, KBB says $8900 trade and $12,340 dealer retail (for typical miles - whatever that means). I have not yet traveled to see the motorcycle (4 hours away), seller has informed he would take $6,750, certainly inexpensive for a wethead RT, but i also have to consider it may be difficult to sell when the time comes.

On the other hand, have a line on a 2017 with 80,000 less miles and considering i should perhaps just pony up the extra $5k for newer and less miles. This one is of course across the country so wil need to factor in travel or shipping (more likely).

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Well whatever one is willing to pay for it :)

On the bad side I wonder if the clutch was done when the stator was done? That is another "split the motor" job. Of course if it was used on the highway exclusively it may have great clutch life left. That leaves a final drive and possible ABS but I have not heard of a ABS unit going on a LC bike. Have you gone over it?

KBB says retail is 8280 with typical miles but no way I would even go close to that.
You are getting forgetful in your old age Lee!!! :cool: Wethead clutch is quite easy (relatively speaking) to change! Replacing the stator is what will require you to break the bike in 2.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Thanks for your comments! I always have the same first comment when someone asks about value :) - unfortunately there are no "Comps" to review for a high mileage wethead that i can find. I believe KBB says 8280 is typical trade for a base r1200rt, if i look at r1200rt premium, KBB says $8900 trade and $12,340 dealer retail (for typical miles - whatever that means). I have not yet traveled to see the motorcycle (4 hours away), seller has informed he would take $6,750, certainly inexpensive for a wethead RT, but i also have to consider it may be difficult to sell when the time comes.

On the other hand, have a line on a 2017 with 80,000 less miles and considering i should perhaps just pony up the extra $5k for newer and less miles. This one is of course across the country so wil need to factor in travel or shipping (more likely).
I have a fully optioned 2015 RT for sales if you are interested. Just the bike though, without any extras. Roughly 31,000 miles. Make me an offer if you are interested, otherwise my dealer is going to get it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
KBB and other site's values are VERY inflated. So much so that you can't trust them anymore. All of these organizations are in the pockets of manufacturers and dealers. The inflated values are so dealers can charge more for used cars and so people will look to buying new.

Regarding mileage. 115k is not typical mileage as per KBB for a motorcycle. It's probably a third of that for motorcycle because the vast majority of riders in the US put very few miles on per year. Also, the general perception is that a motorcycle is worn out if it has more than 30k miles.

For the 2014 with 115k. I think the asking price of $6,750 doesn't sound too bad given that some of the problem items have been replaced. Personally I wouldn't pay that. I'd be more comfortable at $5,500, so long as it's in good shape. Of course, like others have said, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KBB and other site's values are VERY inflated. So much so that you can't trust them anymore. All of these organizations are in the pockets of manufacturers and dealers. The inflated values are so dealers can charge more for used cars and so people will look to buying new.

Regarding mileage. 115k is not typical mileage as per KBB for a motorcycle. It's probably a third of that for motorcycle because the vast majority of riders in the US put very few miles on per year. Also, the general perception is that a motorcycle is worn out if it has more than 30k miles.

For the 2014 with 115k. I think the asking price of $6,750 doesn't sound too bad given that some of the problem items have been replaced. Personally I wouldn't pay that. I'd be more comfortable at $5,500, so long as it's in good shape. Of course, like others have said, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.
I am inclined to agree. I think someone will take him up at that price, I just don’t think it’s me. When he had the top case painted, he had all of the panels top coated with high gloss clear, from Calisto grey matte. It is a professional job and looks great, but I’m a fan of bone stock. I think I may need to move on. Penny wise abs pound foolish, etc..

·
Registered
209 Posts
$6,750 is a very good price, as long as some of the major issues have been dealt with. Take a minute and look at high mileage hex head RT’s sell for, which ain’t cheap. No disrespect but the H2o head bike better in “most” all respects.

Anything “can” break on any bike low or high mileage. If I was crossing the country on a high mileage RT, it would be a water cooled version, hands down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For reference, when I was shopping for my first RT 2 years ago now, there was a 2015 with only 4200 miles on it. The bike was spotless and hadn't been ridden it over 3 years. Owner had 2 of the exact same bike listed on CL for $9,900. Unfortunately the bike was sold from underneath me to someone willing to buy both of them.

I ended up with a 1 year old 2018 model with 1,100 miles completely loaded with matching top-case, illium bars front and rear and several other farkles. This bike was over 28K OTD before tax. He gave it to me for 16.7K. There are lots and lots of folks with these types of bikes that don't have money as a driving factor. Bid low.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
You are getting forgetful in your old age Lee!!! :cool: Wethead clutch is quite easy (relatively speaking) to change! Replacing the stator is what will require you to break the bike in 2.
Yep clutch sitting right in front there.

Forgetful is a kind way of saying I did not engage my brain before shooting off my mouth :sneaky:

Reactions: PadG

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts

This bike has the updated transmission which is a world of difference.

Rule of thumb, buy the newest, least mile bike you can afford. That is the most solid advice I can give you.

One issue of shocks, or this or that, and you got a few K of $ into a 115K mile bike that has been split once already. You know there is no coming back from something like that financially with that bike.

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it helps, I have just purchased a 2014 BMW R1200RT with almost 109,000 miles for $6500. It just had 12,000 service completed and got new Michelin Road 5 tires. It also got a new clutch and tons of accessories. Let's hope I will last a while for me without major repairs. I proactively replaced the first battery after the purchase. It looked like it was still the first battery. Please plan fior the purchase of an Optimate 4 Canbus. Those battery maintainers do wonders. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts

I would say buy the newest bike you can afford and make sure they have a good service history. The wet heads are bulletproof, Like everything the value is only what someone is willing to pay for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts