BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have tried both, which one do you prefer? What or how great is the difference of the two? I'm sold on the low beam being HID, just questioning how much greater an HID would be. Presently have the Silverstar bulb as my high beam and it is quite sufficient.

TIA

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Go with the HID.. You won't be sorry.....I did both High and Low. If I was going to use a modulator like Dave I'd leave the High beam stock... Don't use a Silverstar.. they burn out too fast and really are not that good.. Use the XTRAVISION.. It's brighter and lasts twice as long.....The Silverstar's are junk for kids to buy...

Regards, :cool:

John

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If a standard bulb is a 5, Silver Star is 6, HID is 10.

There is absolutely NO substitute at this time for HID, period. Eventually LED technology will replace all of them, but that will likely be 2010 or later before you start to see that coming online.

If you do go with HID, do not fall for the higher temp is better trap. Get 4000-5000 K, nothing higher. The high temp blue/purple bulbs are for the ignorant "fad" worshipers. Actually put out LESS useable light.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I had the SilverStar low beam...and although it appeared "whiter" is was no brighter. I compared it next to my brother's OEM bulb in his LT while we traversed a lonely dark country road. Not impressed...and, it did NOT last. :(

Currently, I have an HID low-beam just kinda sorta setting on the front fender with the lamp in place. Wow! LET THERE BE LIGHT!

I won't be replacing the high-beam for now . . . though I might install some lame "Xenon" HID wannabe lamp in there just so it "looks" whiter. Not sure yet...

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
messenger13 said:
I won't be replacing the high-beam for now . . . though I might install some lame "Xenon" HID wannabe lamp in there just so it "looks" whiter. Not sure yet...
I had a PIAA "extreme white" bulb in high beam, it still looked like a pale candle in comparison. It is advertised as 4000K, but next to my 4200K HID it looked YELLOW! Near same numbers, but in reality not close at all.

There is no Halogen bulb that comes even close to the HID in color, no matter the advertising hype.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You

Gentlemen:

Thank You very much for your info, that is what I was looking for. Guess I will be ordering both the low and high beam HID. Tired of riding by candlelight, especailly when there are so many Bambi's around.

TA

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I Love my HID's

JCarver said:
For those who have tried both, which one do you prefer? What or how great is the difference of the two? I'm sold on the low beam being HID, just questioning how much greater an HID would be. Presently have the Silverstar bulb as my high beam and it is quite sufficient.

TIA
I love my HID's (both). I tried all types of halogen bulbs without success. The past year of HID use has been so impressive I will never be satisfied with anything else.

The high beam is great for desert and late night riding when there isn't much oncoming traffic(both I do as often as I can). I try to dip the lights early to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. I have had a problem with about 10% of oncoming traffic not liking my low beam. However, if the other driver doesn't like my low beam they surely don't like my high beam. :p Thanks to Ken Meese for helping me adjust my headlight, and after I get back to riding I'm hoping the lights will be less offensive to oncoming traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts