BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new H7 4300K bulb but can't remember if the ballasts from the Fashtek group buys were 35W or 55W? Want to make sure I get the right replacement, but really don't want to strip the nosecone down to see what was written on them.
There's nothing on the original lamp container about wattage (or color/K)
Anyone remember for certain what the ballasts were rated for?

thanks

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pat..... I was looking for some confirmation for the particular bulb rating.. been reading HID stuff on & off all day and came to the conclusion they were probably 35W.
Fashtek seems to be long gone, as have some of the other previously used "suppliers" recommended on the forum.

I just found (hopefully) the identical brand bulbs (TAI CHENG) that I got with the Fashtek buy for what seems a really good price off Ebay. 1 pair (assume 2 globes) for under $26 inc postage. A single Philips globe seems to be up around $70.
If I can get another 5 years out of a new globe that costs $13 I'll be pretty happy with that.

What I still haven't managed to find much info on though is why the bulbs change colour after a long period of time... mines now gone quite blue compared to its original 4300K temp.

cheers!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
The bulbs are NOT rated it is always the ballast that determines the wattage for HID systems.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bob/John.
Here's the reason I need to change it out, the colour shift is pretty bad.

when first installed: 4300K (both low and high beam, with motolights)

5 years later... same bulb in low beam, colour temp gone way up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts