241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's the best place to stash one?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
MattWhite said:
Where's the best place to stash one?
My coat has a clip in one of the pockets and that is were I keep a spare key. With modern adhesives I would be comfortable gluing a key holder somewhere inside the fairing were it isn't visible but accessible by reaching in through the front. Since I almost always wear my coat that seems to work well for me.

Gerhard

·
Registered
55 Posts
I keep one inside the mirror housing using a zip tie to attach it to the mirror leash. I bought this 08 RT with only one key, ordered a spare and while attaching it I saw the PO had used black zip tie to attach the plastic key to the wiring harness in front of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
560 Posts
When riding with a partner give them a spare key and they give you their key. Pretty hard to drop a partner through a crack in the boardwalk during high tide. The fun part is when one or the other tries to start their bike using the other's key.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I usually carry one in my billfold,but sometimes I put one behind the tag on a key ring.

you can't get it unless you take the tag off and no one can see it...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GVPurvis said:
I usually carry one in my billfold,but sometimes I put one behind the tag on a key ring.

you can't get it unless you take the tag off and no one can see it...
What tag?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm assuming the mirror housing option is for pre 2010 bikes only.
Yes after that you need tools to remove the mirror housing, My bike only requires a sharp whack. But black zip tie to the loom still will work, and no one will look there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been experimenting with where to stash a key.

Criteria:

1. Must be secured on the bike. In planning for the worst case, someone has stolen my jacket, helmet and rest of my gear and I am left standing next to the bike in my street clothes.

2. Key must be recoverable without any tools. None, just fingers (and teeth) only.

I had a good stash point on my 800ST to meet my criteria, but haven't found one yet on the RT. I'm thinking gorilla tape (ultra duty duct tape) somewhere inside the fairing will be where it ends up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
four12 said:
I've been experimenting with where to stash a key.

Criteria:

1. Must be secured on the bike. In planning for the worst case, someone has stolen my jacket, helmet and rest of my gear and I am left standing next to the bike in my street clothes.

2. Key must be recoverable without any tools. None, just fingers (and teeth) only.

I had a good stash point on my 800ST to meet my criteria, but haven't found one yet on the RT. I'm thinking gorilla tape (ultra duty duct tape) somewhere inside the fairing will be where it ends up.
Yes, exactly my criteria as well.

So far I think a variation on Gerhard's idea about industrial adhesives
is best. Just slathering the plastic key with 100% silicone caulk and placing
it under the tupper somewhere.

I do appreciate the suggestions from everyone.
Keep em' coming. This is gotta help allot of us out there.
:wave

·
Registered
419 Posts
150flyer said:
Why is everyone telling where they put their hide-a-key over the Internet? :confused:
Because it's educational. If I see an RT and I want to take it, I now know the most places to look for a key. Real time saver. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
steveaikens said:
Are you joking? You think THIS is the place to ask a question about security?

What can you be thinking?
Well I'm thinking that it's not much of a "security" issue cause the bike is small
and if someone has enough time, they'll find your stashed key, if you have one.
If they really want to steal your bike, they'll get it with or without a stashed key.
Also, my bike is insured. It gets stolen - I get a new one.
Really like the new blue. :rolleyes:

I'm just worried about being 2k miles from home, lose my key, and no way to get back
on/into the bike.

It gets stolen 2k from home. I call the insurance company, rent a car, and on my way home
call my local BMW dealer.
Wait, I've BMW roadside assistance, I call them too. :rolleyes:
They rent me the car and pay for the hotels I've missed.
"Vacation Interruptance" I think they call it.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
You miss the point. There are some very cleaver, inventive places to hide a key on a bike. Some that may not be thinking about the fact they're disclosing to the world here and present a list of otherwise reasonably safe places to hide that key.

the result is a list of places those not so honest now have to look for a key on a bike parked out of the way of prying eyes.

Personally, I have the best place - in my wallet - which never leaves my control.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really? I got your point the first time.
It was all in the line "What can you be thinking?".
You infer I was not thinking, nor was anyone who posted.
And you, unlike us, were thinking.

I'd like to thank those that have responded to this post.
You helped me to to form a plan of my own so as to not
get stranded. Heaven forbid I lose my wallet.

We can't talk about this anymore cause Steve thinks we're all idiots
and don't realize that www. means the "world wide web".

:wave

1 - 20 of 49 Posts