BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a hidden antenna for the BMW radio. I know a lot of people are going to the XM radio, but, I'm not. I took my antenna off when I got my IPod, but now want to put a hidden antenna back on. Just wondered which one and best placement for the best reception.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I installed a powered "Hide-Away" on my LT, and it worked great for FM and the weather bands. But AM was rendered useless due to excessive buzz. Didn't bother me as I never lsiten to AM. It cost about $28, and I installed it under the trunk.

A quick Google search (Hide-Away antenna) will yield many hits.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks..

I'm going to get one today!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
messenger13 said:
I installed a powered "Hide-Away" on my LT, and it worked great for FM and the weather bands.
Do we know if this works in the UK? I know I had to convert my wifes car radio on her Japanese import MX5 to be able to listen to more that just the 88-92 FM range. if it does, I'd get my sister to ship one over.

·
Registered
361 Posts
myk_edwards said:
Do we know if this works in the UK? I know I had to convert my wifes car radio on her Japanese import MX5 to be able to listen to more that just the 88-92 FM range. if it does, I'd get my sister to ship one over.
The thing to remember about aerials is that they work in inverse proportion to their visibility. To expand on that....

The length should be approximately a quarter wavelength. That means that an optimum length is about half a metre. To reduce the size over this, it is necessary to "load" the aerial with a matching coil. This simulates if you will, the missing part of the aerial. Obviously it cannot then be as sensitive. As you go smaller into the hidden aerials, it gets worse. The manufacturers often fit amplifiers in line which make things still worse in general because they are then susceptible to all the noise around which it happily amplifies along with the wanted signal. So, what you end up with is MORE signal, MORE noise, plus the additional noise from the amplifier, meaning that the end result is crap, to use a technical term. :rotf: Personally, I would not consider it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One vote yes, one vote no...

Ajlelectronics said:
The thing to remember about aerials is that they work in inverse proportion to their visibility. To expand on that....

The length should be approximately a quarter wavelength. That means that an optimum length is about half a metre. To reduce the size over this, it is necessary to "load" the aerial with a matching coil. This simulates if you will, the missing part of the aerial. Obviously it cannot then be as sensitive. As you go smaller into the hidden aerials, it gets worse. The manufacturers often fit amplifiers in line which make things still worse in general because they are then susceptible to all the noise around which it happily amplifies along with the wanted signal. So, what you end up with is MORE signal, MORE noise, plus the additional noise from the amplifier, meaning that the end result is crap, to use a technical term. :rotf: Personally, I would not consider it.
Ok, 2 responses, 2 opinions. One yes, one no...one state side, one UK...anybody else?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Offwego said:
Ok, 2 responses, 2 opinions. One yes, one no...one state side, one UK...anybody else?
Craig, if you ask a third person... you will get a third opinion!:rolleyes: That seems to be the nature of this forum!:D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ajlelectronics said:
Personally, I would not consider it.
I know about wavelength, 1 over 2 pi route LC = the resonant freq.......16 years reparing Radars, radios & secure comms systems in the RAF.

The radios on the imports need a ghetto mod to be able to pick up more that two radio stations. I'm guessing in Japan, they have a very narrow bandwidth in which to operate, so therefore their systems, and I suspsect the radios AE are set up with a narrow bandpass filter??? I fitted a little powered gizmo and now she gets more radio stations on the radio than before.

If the US are using similar Freq's to us in the UK 87-108, then I'd fit one, and replace the AE with a nice flag mount, gotta have matching flags. and then there is the problem of SWMBO, who tries to cock her leg over the AE & topcase but never quite makes it, and tries to pull the bike down onto it's left side in the process.

·
Registered
185 Posts
myk_edwards said:
If the US are using similar Freq's to us in the UK 87-108
That is dead-on what the US FM scale is. The big difference between US radio and European radio is that the US stations are only at odd decimals (ie. 107.3) and the EU ones are usually even. But your antenna could care less about that. :D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Then once again, I shall be calling upon my sister in VA to pick me one up.

She usually buys me stuff from the US, and in return, I send her food parcels containing the stuff she can't get over there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tried a powered hidden antenna and had no luck with it. Zero AM reception and poor FM reception. Since I don't like the look of the antenna on my LT, I just removed the hidden antenna and live quite happily without a radio.
Wilson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts