BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
My HID lights turned up today, but i bought diode protected relays extra and i will have to do alittle extra wiring as the hid unit i bought is designed to be plugged in to the original wiring and it tells you to increase the fuse for the headlights.
im not keen on that so i bought the relays one for each ballast.
I have hand drwan a wiring diagram and scanned it and attached it to this, can someone check this for me and let me know if it is correct, im prety sure it is, thanks to hunting on google.
Maybe someone might have a better drawing then mine they could point me or share with the rest of us as well.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Reverse your 85/86 connections! The way it is drawn, you will produce a dead short through the relay diodes. The battery positive lines should be to the "bar" side of the diodes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dezrae said:
Folks,
My HID lights turned up today, but i bought diode protected relays extra and i will have to do alittle extra wiring as the hid unit i bought is designed to be plugged in to the original wiring and it tells you to increase the fuse for the headlights.
im not keen on that so i bought the relays one for each ballast.
I have hand drwan a wiring diagram and scanned it and attached it to this, can someone check this for me and let me know if it is correct, im prety sure it is, thanks to hunting on google.
Maybe someone might have a better drawing then mine they could point me or share with the rest of us as well.

Thanks
I did not use a relay and blew my 7.5a fuse. I have replaced it with a 10a and all is working fine. It really doesn't concern me that much the difference between the two fuses.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Clarification!

dshealey said:
Reverse your 85/86 connections! The way it is drawn, you will produce a dead short through the relay diodes. The battery positive lines should be to the "bar" side of the diodes.
Just realized that if anyone reads this out of context it could be confusing.

In the use stated, the battery positive should be to the "bar" side of the diode. The purpose of the diodes in the relays is not to protect the relay, but any coil control circuit. The function is to short the "kick back" voltage induced in the coil when the voltage is removed, that way it does not kick back into sensitive control circuits. The kick back voltage can be pretty high. These are often called "free wheeling" diodes.

In other circuits, such as rectification or "steering" use of diodes, then positive would often attach to the "arrow" side of the diode, not the "bar".

In use, current will flow positive to negative in the "Arrow" direction, and be blocked if the polarity is reversed.

There are those who will point out that "electron flow" is from negative to positive, which is actually correct. However when most people talk abut current flow, they are using "Conventional Flow", not "Electron Flow". Benjamin Franklin assumed that current flowed positive to negative, so that is what most people use when speaking of current flow to this day.

Class dismissed. :D :D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh great wiring genius folks.

I have made a connection wrong and i think it might be my ground wire.

I thought rather then run a earth cable from both headlights back to my relay i would just end the earth of each relay to the frame of the bike.

Now what happens is my low beam works, and my high beam works...
but...my low beam does not switch off, it is like having the pass light on all the time.

If i swap the power cables that run from the front of the bike that plug in to the high/low beam, then i get a high beam that stays on all the time and i can turn the low beam on/off and the high/low switch is in the reverse position.

what simple wiring mistake have i done??
is it the fact i did not make ground wires from the front of the bike headlight assy and send them to the relays???
all was good, till now...

Thanks

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Dezrae said:
Oh great wiring genius folks.

I have made a connection wrong and i think it might be my ground wire.

I thought rather then run a earth cable from both headlights back to my relay i would just end the earth of each relay to the frame of the bike.

Now what happens is my low beam works, and my high beam works...
but...my low beam does not switch off, it is like having the pass light on all the time.

If i swap the power cables that run from the front of the bike that plug in to the high/low beam, then i get a high beam that stays on all the time and i can turn the low beam on/off and the high/low switch is in the reverse position.

what simple wiring mistake have i done??
is it the fact i did not make ground wires from the front of the bike headlight assy and send them to the relays???
all was good, till now...

Thanks
Grounding to the frame rather than using the headlight grounds will not cause this problem.

Question: Does the low beam turn off when the ignition switch is off?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Dezrae said:
This sez your low beam relay is constantly energized. Stuck relay is one possibility. Try swapping the relays and see whether the high beam is now on all the time. (if the low beam is on even when the ignition is off, this is my bet for the culprit).

If the low relay is not the problem, then you need to figure out why the relay trigger (the control wire that actuates the relay) is constantly powered --

Are sure you tapped the right wire from the low beam?

Are you sure you have the relay terminals connected properly? -- switching the battery power (30) wire with the low beam trigger wire (85 or 86, depending on how you did it) would leave the relay triggered at all times, with the low beam coming on when the ignition is turned on.

Oh, and just checking to make sure we're all on the same page -- if the low beam is going off when the ignition is off, and the relay is correctly wired, you do realize that the stock low beam stays on when the high beam is triggered, right? :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,
The low beam turns on only when i switch my igntion round to the "on" poistion like it usually does. If i flick it to the accessory poistion the radio turns on and the low beam goes off, if i turn my ignition off all is dead.

but it sounds like from your explination that there is nothing wrong at all, as you said

"Oh, and just checking to make sure we're all on the same page -- if the low beam is going off when the ignition is off, and the relay is correctly wired, you do realize that the stock low beam stays on when the high beam is triggered, right?"

This is the first time ever i stood at the front of the bike and watched the light bulbs them self turn on/off, im usually in the riders position.
I did not know the low beam stayed on while the high beam when on, i thought the low beam turned off.
Now i know better. :))

The power leads i ran to the relay from the original wiring harness are certainly plugged in the correct plugs.I just used a blade type connector to plug in to the yellow positive plug on the low beam and used a blade plug and another piece of wire to plug in to the high beam positive plug, that plug is the one where the white wire usually plugs in to off the bulb.

i should have added (my fault) that the low beam light is on when the ignition is set to the "on" position and when i switch the bike key to the "off" position all is dead like it should be.

Thanks for your assistance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts