BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished upgrading the lights on the RT to a three-lamp HID setup from 1 Off Motorsports. Nice kit and should really improve driving at night.

=========================MEMO to BMW Engineers=================

What idiot designed the headlight mounting and replacement setup for the RT ? That mess is a perfect example of why any engineer should be required to do field maintenance of whatever kind of vehicle they intend to try and design. If you re-design the headlamp system on the water cooled RT, fix that mess, please.

============================ END MEMO ========================

Only good news is that I have ended up with a great lighting setup, and whole bunch of special tools I made to access and reset the clips for the lamps.

Since I needed to install the RT-P fan, I needed to remove the right side fairing too, and that made accessing the right lamp hole a lot easier, but still required my special tools. as I do not have tiny hands.

For those considering the BMW fan kit, you will have to dismount the cruise control servo if you have one, to put the clip nut and screw the fan shroud onto the mounting tab. Without moving the servo, the right side screw cannot be accessed. It also helps to move the charcoal canister out of the way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the information on the 1 off and the RT-P fan installation. I am considering both of these modifications. BTW - how are you controlling the fan operation?

Chris

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monty2007 said:
Thanks for the information on the 1 off and the RT-P fan installation. I am considering both of these modifications. BTW - how are you controlling the fan operation?

Chris

Chris, I had a switch from the R1200R that is weather sealed and has a small LED indicator. It is mounted on the left handlebar so I can toggle the fan on or off as necessary. I will post some photos in the morning.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have not delved in to the headlights of the RT yet, but it sounds like the same schwachkopf designed a similar headlight system for the F800ST.

Those stupid little wire spring clips? Come on. I agree with your assertion that design engineers should be required to perform field service on their abominations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Know exactly what you mean ka5ysy, did the mod last year on the low beams only with a kit from DDM Tuning and I have a good set of hands to the point that I have to try the gloves first (Usually XXL size). Had a lot of fun in the practice of being patient :D.

I can tell you that BMW is not the only application that is difficult, I did the conversion on a 2011 Subaru Outback (Same H7 type bulb) and it took almost as long.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Should a headlight assembly be easy to replace? Is it something that needs to be done often, as part of regular service perhaps?
Can a complex construction such as a motorcycle be engineered in such a way that all components are easily reached and replaced?
On the specific subject of lighting, the R1200RT has the brightest headlights I have ever owned on a bike and are more than adequate.
In case I were to find the headlight setup of my bike insufficient, I would consider consulting an ophthalmologist (or drive a bit slower in the dark).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Gaby said:
Should a headlight assembly be easy to replace? Is it something that needs to be done often, as part of regular service perhaps?
Yes, it's a wear item. I haven't replaced mine yet, but my understanding is that they have a live expectancy of 7-10,000 miles. That's 2-4 times a year for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ka5ysy said:
I just finished upgrading the lights on the RT to a three-lamp HID setup from 1 Off Motorsports. Nice kit and should really improve driving at night....
I find the current Hi beam pretty much useless. Does the HID-Hi give better depth? Please report back after you've taken a long night's drive. Thanks....

·
Registered
616 Posts
05Train said:
Yes, it's a wear item. I haven't replaced mine yet, but my understanding is that they have a live expectancy of 7-10,000 miles. That's 2-4 times a year for me.
Do you refer to the headlight assembly as a whole?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Gaby said:
Do you refer to the headlight assembly as a whole?
I refer to the bulbs. They're wear items, and it becomes a safety issue when one (or both) of them fail. Bulb replacement should be easy to do in a parking lot with nothing more than simple, easy to obtain hand tools.

Simpler is better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok, the bulbs. But they are not a problem to replace, I did one (I confess, the left one) in less than 10 minutes,
finding and reading the procedure perhaps not included :).
I (wrongly?) understood that the TS was referring to the headlight assembly as a whole when he stated that
the engineers had created a design next to impossible to maintain :eek:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Gaby said:
Ok, the bulbs. But they are not a problem to replace, I did one (I confess, the left one) in less than 10 minutes,
finding and reading the procedure perhaps not included :).
I (wrongly?) understood that the TS was referring to the headlight assembly as a whole when he stated that
the engineers had created a design next to impossible to maintain :eek:
My understanding is that you need child-sized hands to reach the assembly. I've looked in there and can't see how my hands are going to fit to reach the bulbs. Maybe I'm reading the OP wrong, but you don't need to remove the assembly in order to do the HID upgrade, I believe all that's involved is accessing the bulb mount, which is what you'd need to do to change the standard bulbs.

Again, it's a safety issue, and it should be ridiculously simple for someone with no technical aptitude to do in an auto parts store parking lot.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Depending on the glove, I wear a size 10.5 (XL-XXL). I can easily change both bulbs on my RT from the front by reaching under, then up and behind the oil cooler. You cannot SEE what you are doing, but there is enough room to maneuver. The one time I did it, replacing both bulbs took me 10 minutes in a parts store parking lot (with prior research on the forums and poking around with a flashlight at home). Only tool needed was my Leatherman to open the stupid plastic packaging for the bulbs.

Converting to HID? I'd take off the tupperware so that I can neatly install the ballast & wiring. This is not hard and not unexpected. The only change I could see BMW making would be to offer factory HIDs, but then they would charge us $1000 for the option.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What's interesting about these lights can be found on the FAQ page...

Are 1 Off Motorsports HID kits street legal?

The truth is, installing ANYTHING into a vehicle that was not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal. This includes aftermarket exhaust, headers, and all types of modifications that the D.O.T did not test (and get paid) for. However, we are selling these kits for OFF Road, race and exhibition use only. 1 Off Motorsports by no means encourage breaking the law, please use safely. There have been little to no verified accounts of anyone getting pulled over and cited just for having them on. 1 Off Motorsports recommends that you make sure that you have the appropriate headlight assembly for your vehicle and that your headlights are properly aligned after installation. If you are again not comfortable please take it in to a professional.

1. These are being sold for Off Road, Race and Exhibition use only. (I guess to absolve themselves of any potential litigation.)

2. "There have been little to no verified accounts of anyone getting pulled over and cited just for having them on." (What does that mean? Does it mean by "little" that some have been pulled over and cited? I wonder what the sampling size of "little" is?)

According to this, anything you change on your bike is technically illegal, but nothing probably cries out as loudly as a couple of these lights blaring into the back of some police cruiser at night at a stoplight, or coming at you in the other lane of traffic.

Maybe some attorney in this forum could shed a little light on the legalities of this product. Don't get me wrong, looks like a wonderful product and certainly a great way to get noticed, but out here in the People Republic of California, you can get pulled over for the silliest of things.

·
Registered
616 Posts
lkraus said:
Depending on the glove, I wear a size 10.5 (XL-XXL). I can easily change both bulbs on my RT from the front by reaching under, then up and behind the oil cooler. You cannot SEE what you are doing, but there is enough room to maneuver.
I do have an advantage here, wearing only size 9's :) Indeed, it is almost impossible to see what you are doing, but
that is no big deal, knowing what to expect from the drawings in the manual, things are recognizable at the touch ;)
On the other hand, I can imagine that for riders without experience in these matters, replacing the bulbs could be a PITA.
When rereading the posts, I suppose the HID conversions are about changing the bulbs and adding the electronics, but keeping
the lenses and the mirrors. If this is indeed the case, then I don't feel this is a good idea at all, since HID's have different properties
that call for specific mirrors and lenses. Perhaps this why HID equipped motorcycles often compromise my view, even when
they come from behind and reflect in my side view mirrors :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
ka5ysy said:
Chris, I had a switch from the R1200R that is weather sealed and has a small LED indicator. It is mounted on the left handlebar so I can toggle the fan on or off as necessary. I will post some photos in the morning.
Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Uh......

A little practice and skill goes a long way. Watch any dealership mechanic do a bulb swap on an RT and you'll see how easy it really is.

You need only a mental image of how it works and sensitive fingertips- one does not need to see anything. I can do it in almost total darkness in a couple minutes. Really no big deal once you know how and get a little pracitce.. Absolutely no need to remove any of the plastic other than the lamp rear cover.

But I converterd mine to HID- lo beams only. HIDs are not designed for frequent dip usage and my bike carries a set of long range driving ligghts anyway so I don't need any more high beam - the sign reflections are already almost blinding....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am familiar with HID as it is on my Lexus RX300. However I don't understand the obsession with HID on the RT. The standard OEM headlight appears to work just fine during daylight and night time riding. I find it to be more then sufficiently adequate and have no desire to make any changes to it. JM2CW.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts