BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HID has worked like a charm for the two plus years I have had it, but the last couple of days it has started failing Intermittently on startup. When this happens, if I turn the ignition off and back on, it usually comes on with that second try, but with a flicker or two (don't remember seeing that before), and then stays on for the remainder of that ride segment. Is this the bulb starting to go or the ballast? All connections have been checked and are good.

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Raffy. I imagine I'll get into it over the weekend. Something as simple as a connection would be nice, but I'm betting it's more.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My HID would act up at startup sometimes and finally went out on me at night while on a short ride. Ran my high beam and Moto Lights until I got home. I found a loose ground wire to the relay - removed the clip on connecter and made the connection like it should have done and no more problems.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe something like that is the culprit. Besides, I should get more than two years out of it in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All things considered; Vibration, Hard Road Thumps, Weather, Corrosion..... I'm surprised at how well the HIDs, with their relatively complex power supply, survive. It's one of those things that works better than it should for the money....... like RainX, OxyClean, Dodge Dart Slant 6 and Volvo 122Ss.

In the Film Business we have used this Technology for the last 15-20 years or so and have had Pretty Good Luck with it. Whenever there is a problem striking the ARC it can usually be attributed to a gassy lamp, or electrode gap that has widened. If the lamp needs multiple starting cycles to fully ignite, a lamp replacement usually cures the problem. Also if you notice the illumination changing color toward Magenta/Purple the lamp is on its way out. Lamps account for 95% of problems.

However, if there is a recent history of Severe Pothole Hits and Submersion in a Monsoon then, of course, check the mechanicals and drainage.

Lamp Life expectancy is a published 2000 hours..... Probably less. More like 1500, SO.......a Motorycycle's Lifetime Average speed overall is, like 35mph by my reckoning even if you/I may think we're a jackrabbit. So that makes an HID Lamp replaceable about every 50,000 miles or so. Pretty good Cost-Benefit-Life Ratio by my accounting. I certainly wouldn't change the Ballast/Igniter/Power Supply.

The Stock headlight was a 50mph illuminator and DANGEROUS, The HID is good for 90mph and worth twice the price. No Squaking about HID cost.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Harumph

I'm gonna give you a Harumph for mentioning the slant 6.....

Spence

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Al,

While traveling to the STC last spring I had my HID go out on the road. After checking it out while at STC we found that the relay had gotten compromised and corroded to the point where there was rust all through it. Replaced the relay and all was good.

Probably nothing more than that on yours in the worst case scenario.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts