BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my 3d relay for my HID low-beam system. Typically, I am getting about 6-8 months before I lose it. Bike is not really ridden in the rain and no power-washing. The Relay is fairly protected, but I'm sure it can get wet during certain conditions. Anyway, I know there were some tips on the old system, but search did not show anything on here. Is there a Heavy Duty relay available? Should I change locations (I probably will anyway, I need to make it easier to get to).

Regards,

Maher

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
mmaso said:
I'm on my 3d relay for my HID low-beam system. Typically, I am getting about 6-8 months before I lose it. Bike is not really ridden in the rain and no power-washing. The Relay is fairly protected, but I'm sure it can get wet during certain conditions. Anyway, I know there were some tips on the old system, but search did not show anything on here. Is there a Heavy Duty relay available? Should I change locations (I probably will anyway, I need to make it easier to get to).

Regards,

Maher
*VERY* unusual -- there must be some other problem taking the relay out. Let's be systemmatic about this:
Where is the relay mounted?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I did not use a relay on my HID installation, nor was there one in the HID driving light kit I installed, which was two HID ballasts/bulbs. Rode over 75,000 miles with the HID low beam, 50,000 miles with the driving lights, no issues at all.

I would just dump the relay to get rid of one more failure mode.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Many people owning the K-bike have switched to HID head lamps with the separate wiring harness which includes the relay. I know of 2 personally which failed, one was mine and another was a friend in Ft. Worth. His failed twice then we decided to investigate what the cause might be. After opening up the relays which had failed it was found that moisture had entered the housing. After moving mounting location and the position of the relay while mounted neither has had another failure.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Dave,

How is your relay withstanding the 120 MPH wind today? :( You are a little north of the major winds though aren't you?

Hope you are getting by with little damage again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts